post Mar 30 2010, 11:19 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,985
Favorite Truck Camper(s): No idea
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: F-250
Type of Tiedowns used: no idea
Truck and Camper Setup: Not purchased yet

So there are similar questions on this board but everyone has a bit of a different twist. So I am looking to purchase a used pop-up camper. Problem I am finding is that most of the good deals in my price range are 8ft campers about 10 or so years old. I see several people trying to max out their trucks and changing the COG too much. Please take a look at the specs on my truck and let me know if you could suggest that a light 8 ft popper is agreeable, many thanks

2003 F-250 superduty diesel lariat crew cab. rear air adjustable ride, 8 way adjustable in cab dampening shocks, front leveling kit, rear 1.5 inch axle spacers, 35" bridgestone E rated tires, 6ft bed. And many times I pull a boat which weighs 4500 lbs on a pretty well balanced dual axle trailer. But I am worried about having to use some sort of hitch extender and changing the COG dynamics even further. Hoping that by going lighter and a pop-up that I am working out some sort of "balance".
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
MooringProduct
post Apr 1 2010, 02:42 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 3,969
Favorite Truck Camper(s): All
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: 2003 F250 CC SWB
Type of Tiedowns used: Torklift
Truck and Camper Setup: F250 CC SB w/ 6.0 Diesel ARP studs, EGR deleted, NOS for the track(13.49ET),GT4088 Turbo and MBRP SS Exhaust. Suspension has Firestone bags, 4" ProComp Lift, Bilstein 5150 shocks, Class V Hitch, Stable Load. 2006 Lance 881 Loaded

I have the same truck with a 4" lift. Bags in the rear and a 18" extenstion. I'm only pulling 2500lbs but have a heavy full size camper. (No idea of the weight) We have zero problems.

--------------------
2003 F250 CC SB 6.0 Stable Loads and Air bags. 4" custom lift, Bilstein 5150 Shocks, and Complete Energy Suspension bushing.
2006 Lance 881 Loaded..No Gen or Awnings.
+Quote Post
jsleona
post Apr 4 2010, 12:32 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 3,985
Favorite Truck Camper(s): No idea
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: F-250
Type of Tiedowns used: no idea
Truck and Camper Setup: Not purchased yet

Awesome setup, thanks for the picture on you profile. Worth a thousand words.
+Quote Post
pjviitas
post Jul 2 2010, 02:27 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 4,429
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Adventurer
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: Ford F-150
Type of Tiedowns used: None
Truck and Camper Setup: None yet

QUOTE(jsleona @ Mar 30 2010, 09:19 PM)
So there are similar questions on this board but everyone has a bit of a different twist. So I am looking to purchase a used pop-up camper. Problem I am finding is that most of the good deals in my price range are 8ft campers about 10 or so years old. I see several people trying to max out their trucks and changing the COG too much. Please take a look at the specs on my truck and let me know if you could suggest that a light 8 ft popper is agreeable, many thanks

2003 F-250 superduty diesel lariat crew cab. rear air adjustable ride, 8 way adjustable in cab dampening shocks, front leveling kit, rear 1.5 inch axle spacers, 35" bridgestone E rated tires, 6ft bed. And many times I pull a boat which weighs 4500 lbs on a pretty well balanced dual axle trailer. But I am worried about having to use some sort of hitch extender and changing the COG dynamics even further. Hoping that by going lighter and a pop-up that I am working out some sort of "balance".

You should be able to do better than a pop-up. As long as your not over your axle weight, air-bags can fix leveling problems and sway bars can fix sway problems.

The lightest hard side camper out there is around 1300lbs.

Best Regards, Pekka
+Quote Post
pejafan
post Nov 15 2010, 01:42 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 4,977
Favorite Truck Camper(s): dont know
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: Ford F250 4x2 regular cab diesel
Type of Tiedowns used: happijac
Truck and Camper Setup: F250

QUOTE(pjviitas @ Jul 2 2010, 02:27 PM)
You should be able to do better than a pop-up.  As long as your not over your axle weight, air-bags can fix leveling problems and sway bars can fix sway problems.

The lightest hard side camper out there is around 1300lbs.

Best Regards, Pekka

So can u let me know which hard side one is around 1300lbs?
I have a F250 6.0L diesel with payload 3000lbs. seems i could survive with this one?
+Quote Post
WesGPS
post Nov 15 2010, 07:11 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 4,341
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Lance
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: 2005 Dodge 5.7L Hemi 2500 Heavy Duty Short Box.
Type of Tiedowns used: Torklift with Fastguns
Truck and Camper Setup: 2009 Lance 845 Fully Equipped

Hello jsleona, we recently purchased a Lance 845 for our 3/4 ton Dodge short box so we're not too far from your specs.

While shopping for a suitable camper I paid close attention to the published weights and COG listings of various manufacturers. I put together a CG calculator in a spreadsheet. It is setup so that you can input information about your existing truck as well as about the camper you want to buy. It will then calculate the COG position (longitudinal axis - flat plane) of your unloaded truck as well as where it moves to when loaded with the camper.

I'm sure you have already heard the "as long as it's three or four inches forward of the rear axle" statement. Hum, I'll elaborate on that if a question about it develops.

If you are inclined to do so you can read a recap about it and download it here: CG Calculator

Good luck, Wes

--------------------
user posted image
2009 Lance 845 with LP Generator, Roof Air, Flat Screen TV, DVD - and more to come.
2005 Dodge 5.7L Hemi Heavy Duty Short Box 4X4.
Hellwig Anti Sway Bar, AirLift 5000 Air Bags, Viair Compressor and Tank With Modified Wireless Air Remote Air Bag Control.

WesGPS.com
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicTopic OptionsStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th April 2024 - 03:10 PM