Help - Search - Member List - Calendar
Full Version: F-250 short bed light pop-up 8ft?
Truck Camper Forum > General > Matching Truck and Camper
jsleona
So there are similar questions on this board but everyone has a bit of a different twist. So I am looking to purchase a used pop-up camper. Problem I am finding is that most of the good deals in my price range are 8ft campers about 10 or so years old. I see several people trying to max out their trucks and changing the COG too much. Please take a look at the specs on my truck and let me know if you could suggest that a light 8 ft popper is agreeable, many thanks

2003 F-250 superduty diesel lariat crew cab. rear air adjustable ride, 8 way adjustable in cab dampening shocks, front leveling kit, rear 1.5 inch axle spacers, 35" bridgestone E rated tires, 6ft bed. And many times I pull a boat which weighs 4500 lbs on a pretty well balanced dual axle trailer. But I am worried about having to use some sort of hitch extender and changing the COG dynamics even further. Hoping that by going lighter and a pop-up that I am working out some sort of "balance".
MooringProduct
I have the same truck with a 4" lift. Bags in the rear and a 18" extenstion. I'm only pulling 2500lbs but have a heavy full size camper. (No idea of the weight) We have zero problems.
jsleona
Awesome setup, thanks for the picture on you profile. Worth a thousand words.
pjviitas
QUOTE(jsleona @ Mar 30 2010, 09:19 PM)
So there are similar questions on this board but everyone has a bit of a different twist. So I am looking to purchase a used pop-up camper. Problem I am finding is that most of the good deals in my price range are 8ft campers about 10 or so years old. I see several people trying to max out their trucks and changing the COG too much. Please take a look at the specs on my truck and let me know if you could suggest that a light 8 ft popper is agreeable, many thanks

2003 F-250 superduty diesel lariat crew cab. rear air adjustable ride, 8 way adjustable in cab dampening shocks, front leveling kit, rear 1.5 inch axle spacers, 35" bridgestone E rated tires, 6ft bed. And many times I pull a boat which weighs 4500 lbs on a pretty well balanced dual axle trailer. But I am worried about having to use some sort of hitch extender and changing the COG dynamics even further. Hoping that by going lighter and a pop-up that I am working out some sort of "balance".

You should be able to do better than a pop-up. As long as your not over your axle weight, air-bags can fix leveling problems and sway bars can fix sway problems.

The lightest hard side camper out there is around 1300lbs.

Best Regards, Pekka
pejafan
QUOTE(pjviitas @ Jul 2 2010, 02:27 PM)
You should be able to do better than a pop-up.  As long as your not over your axle weight, air-bags can fix leveling problems and sway bars can fix sway problems.

The lightest hard side camper out there is around 1300lbs.

Best Regards, Pekka

So can u let me know which hard side one is around 1300lbs?
I have a F250 6.0L diesel with payload 3000lbs. seems i could survive with this one?
WesGPS
Hello jsleona, we recently purchased a Lance 845 for our 3/4 ton Dodge short box so we're not too far from your specs.

While shopping for a suitable camper I paid close attention to the published weights and COG listings of various manufacturers. I put together a CG calculator in a spreadsheet. It is setup so that you can input information about your existing truck as well as about the camper you want to buy. It will then calculate the COG position (longitudinal axis - flat plane) of your unloaded truck as well as where it moves to when loaded with the camper.

I'm sure you have already heard the "as long as it's three or four inches forward of the rear axle" statement. Hum, I'll elaborate on that if a question about it develops.

If you are inclined to do so you can read a recap about it and download it here: CG Calculator

Good luck, Wes
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.