Help - Search - Member List - Calendar
Full Version: Newbie- What Do I Need for My Camper?
Truck Camper Forum > General > Support Equipment
d_allen
I just bought my first truck camper! Want to get it set up right before the snow melts and don't know ANYTHING about truck campers. I am hoping to get some good advice here.

The truck: 2005 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crew-Cab SB Duramax Diesel 4x4 with the tow package.

The camper: 2003 Palomino Bronco 800 pop-up. It comes with 4 spring-loaded chrome tie-downs but all I have in my truck are 4 hooks on the inside of the bed near the corners. (I assume these hooks are not going to work but as I said I don't know ANYTHING about this stuff.)

Looking around the internet, it looks like Torklift is the brand of choice for tie-downs. Then I read stuff about airbags, putting a pad on the bottom of my bed (it has a plastic liner right now). I don't know what I need.

Can someone give me a list of "must-haves" to secure the camper on my truck safely and keep my truck from getting damaged? And any "recommended but not required" items?

Thanks.
Spanky
Welcome to the forum,
To me, there is nothing more important than having your camper secured properly to your truck. I use Torklifts and I personaly would not use anything else. Several of our members use other tiedowns so I guess it would be whatever you feel comfortable with. I like torklift because when the camper is removed, you cannot see the frame mounted receiver. I also like the way they mount. I will add a link to the end of this message to TL Central which is where I get most all of my camper things.
As far as airbags and springs and stuff like that, I raelly don't know much about them as I have a 1 ton truck and my camper is not that heavy. My camping buddy has a 97 F 250 and he had a Palamino 800 and he did not have any kind of suspension add ons and he seem to do just fine with his. As always you should check the GVWR on your truck and see how much the truck can carry. And when I say "carry" I mean not only can the truck haul the weight but how will it handle as far as sway and bounce and stopping in an emergency situation. Do you plan to tow a boat or a vehicle? If so you would want to think about that. I tow a Jeep with no braking system and it sometimes can push you a little down hills. So, lots of things to consider, and I am sure if you read some of the post that are already here that they will answer some of your questions. Feel free to ask anything and remember, there are no dumb questions.
Gary
http://www.tlcentral.com/store/pc/viewCate...p?idCategory=14
d_allen
Thanks Gary.
SUPERBASH
QUOTE(d_allen @ Jan 24 2010, 01:33 AM)
Looking around the internet, it looks like Torklift is the brand of choice for tie-downs.  Then I read stuff about airbags, putting a pad on the bottom of my bed (it has a plastic liner right now).  I don't know.

Thats because the torklift design justs holds the camper down. Happijacs design prevents movement in all directions....& yes I have a plastic bedliner.
d_allen
QUOTE(SUPERBASH @ Jan 28 2010, 07:23 AM)
Thats because the torklift design justs holds the camper down. Happijacs design prevents movement in all directions....& yes I have a plastic bedliner.

Do you recommend Happijacs over Torklift and, if so, why?
Thanks.
jane1983
See.. you can use happijacs or torklift.. anyone of it. Both provides better suited holding to the camper.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.