Help - Search - Member List - Calendar
Full Version: F150 with a truck camper for the winter questions
Truck Camper Forum > General > Truck Camper Specs
bronzerhino
Hi I would like to purchase a truck camper for my ford F150 2005. its a short box about 64 inches or 5 1/2 feet i think. now the question i have is where do i find specs on the right kind for me.
and the other question is are truck campers good in the winter for like - 40 or am i wasting my time lookin into it.

any help or comments would be muchly appreciated
thnx
LindaH
I don't think there's ANY RV that can withstand minus 40 degrees!
mjfgeology
My wife and I go camping in the winter, but it is not that cold here in the mid-atlantic region. You should ckeck out the All New 8' Northstar Freedom for short bed full size trucks. Maybe you could add a bigger heater and insulation thruogh the factory. Most likely you should get airbags also.
Blind Bob
Who says a half ton truck can't carry a camper. Nice.

Here's mine.

user posted image
mjfgeology
Thats a big rig; how mush does it weigh? Can you explain or show your tiedowns in more detail?
Blind Bob
The camper weighs right at 2000lb. I am somewhat overweight according to the sticker on the truck. I put good 10 ply tires on it and timbren rubber springs under it and it handles very well. You can see in the picture that it is riding dead level. I don't drive like a fool with it loaded either. This is what I drive for a living so I know something about weight and how to handle it.
user posted image
As for the tie downs, I have a pic somewhere of them but, can't locate it right now. They are homemade. The front is 1 1/4'' well pipe that I bolted to the frame. I would have to show you the pic so you would understand how the rear is held in place. They are the same size well pipe. Welded loops on the ends for the chain to hook to. Very solid. I was not about to pay what some of the dealers were asking for tiedowns.
spacedoutbob
QUOTE(Blind Bob @ Jan 2 2010, 09:05 PM)
The camper weighs right at 2000lb. I am somewhat overweight according to the sticker on the truck. I put good 10 ply tires on it and timbren rubber springs under it and it handles very well.  You can see in the picture that it is riding dead level. I don't drive like a fool with it loaded either. This is what I drive for a living so I know something about weight and how to handle it.
user posted image
As for the tie downs, I have a pic somewhere of them but, can't locate it right now. They are homemade. The front is 1 1/4'' well pipe that I bolted to the frame.  I would have to show you the pic so you would understand how the rear is held in place. They are the same size well pipe. Welded loops on the ends for the chain to hook to. Very solid. I was not about to pay what some of the dealers were asking for tiedowns.

I'm amazed at how your F150 holds your camper. I had an axle snap off at the flange on my old C10 when I was in Canada with my 9'8" Perris Valley SC camper. After that, I was afraid to put any camper that weighed 2000 or more pounds on anything but a 3/4 ton or larger truck. I always admired those Amerigo campers. You have a nice looking rig.

Bob in Calif.
jimd1050
QUOTE(spacedoutbob @ Jan 5 2010, 04:52 AM)
I'm amazed at how your F150 holds your camper. I had an axle snap off at the flange on my old C10 when I was in Canada with my 9'8" Perris Valley SC camper. After that, I was afraid to put any camper that weighed 2000 or more pounds on anything but a 3/4 ton or larger truck. I always admired those Amerigo campers. You have a nice looking rig.

Bob in Calif.

wink.gif You must admit, you left yourself wide open for this so I had to! That's why we're driving FORDS! biggrin.gif

Sorry...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.