Help - Search - Member List - Calendar
Full Version: Dodge 2500 SRW Cummins
Truck Camper Forum > General > Matching Truck and Camper
catkiller
Would like to know which Lance campers fit well with 2001 Dodge 2500 crew cab SRW, Cummins with Firestone air bags. Tried a Lance 1130 but it was too heavy for rear axle and resulted in poor steering.
Thanks
LindaH
You need to know what your payload is in order to find out which camper will be best.

Load your truck up like it would be for a camping trip with full fuel tank, and all the people and gear that will normally ride in the cab of the truck. Now take it to your local scales and get it weighed. Once you have the *real life* loaded weight of your truck, subtract that weight from the truck's GVWR...that will be the maximum loaded weight of any camper you should be carrying. While air bags help with the ride, they do nothing to increase the GVWR.
dwestmodesto
QUOTE(catkiller @ Dec 18 2009, 10:47 PM)
Would like to know which Lance campers fit well with 2001 Dodge 2500 crew cab SRW, Cummins with Firestone air bags. Tried a Lance 1130 but it was too heavy for rear axle and resulted in poor steering.
Thanks

I have the same truck as you. The weight capacity of our truck is very low. The Cummins is very heavy, the crew cab adds more weight. My truck is 7100lbs empty. Max Vehicle Weight is about 9000lbs, leaving just under 2000lbs for people, supplies and camper. I found a 8 1/2 foot camper that comes in at 1800 lbs. That leaves me overweight by a few hundred pounds. Find a camper designed for a 1/2 ton truck. I added firestone airbags, Rancho 9000xl shocks, and will be adding the helwig rear swaybar. The camper does fine. My mileage now sucks though...cost me about 5mpg to carry the camper.
Dave
spacedoutbob
QUOTE(dwestmodesto @ Dec 21 2009, 05:38 PM)
I have the same truck as you.  The weight capacity of our truck is very low.  The Cummins is very heavy, the crew cab adds more weight.  My truck is 7100lbs empty.  Max Vehicle Weight is about 9000lbs, leaving just under 2000lbs for people, supplies and camper.  I found a 8 1/2 foot camper that comes in at 1800 lbs.  That leaves me overweight by a few hundred pounds.  Find a camper designed for a 1/2 ton truck.  I added firestone airbags, Rancho 9000xl shocks, and will be adding the helwig rear swaybar.  The camper does fine.  My mileage now sucks though...cost me about 5mpg to carry the camper.
Dave

Hi, I have a friend who has a 2007 D2500 Quad Cab 2wd Short Bed with the Cummins 6.7L. His truck has the 6 speed transmission. He has a 2008 Lance 825 that is self contained. Staying at 55 mph, this truck consistently gets 22 + miles per gallon. Some day, I will probably get a long bed version of this truck, but probably a 3500 instead.

Bob
akasurf14
That is funny that your friend said he gets 22 MPG. I have never and I mean never heard of anyone getting that kind of mileage with the 6.7 and that kind of weight on it. I don't care how fast he is going! Go to www.tdr.com and talk to people on that forum and see what the say. I have an 03' 5.9 with 4:10 Rear. The best I have ever gotten loaded was 15.8 mpg. And I get as high as 18 emply. If I had 3:73 rear I would get somewhat better mileage. I have taked to people that tell me that they are getting 22, 23, 24 and even 25 mpg. I ask them if they are looking at the Over Head MPG gauge? They say yes, I tell them to fill up your tank, drive it until you need fuel and divide that by the gallons you put in, that will tell the true mileage! I have had times went I look at the gauge and it says I am getting 30 mpg! I wish! wink.gif
LindaH
QUOTE(akasurf14 @ Sep 16 2010, 11:59 PM)
I have taked to people that tell me that they are getting 22, 23, 24 and even 25 mpg. I ask them if they are looking at the Over Head MPG gauge? They say yes, I tell them to fill up your tank, drive it until you need fuel and divide that by the gallons you put in, that will tell the true mileage!

Akasurf14 is absolutely right!

During the first 6 months of ownership of our 2007 Dodge (early model with the 5.9 Cummins), I compared the overhead MPG gauge with the "real" fuel mileage obtained by doing the math explained above. The overhead guage always showed way more MPG than what we were actually getting.

So, if your friend is using the overhead gauge to figure fuel mileage, he's being fooled into thinking he's getting more than he really is. Have him keep track of the "real" fuel mileage for a month or more...he'll be in for a rude awakening!
drjay
QUOTE(catkiller @ Dec 19 2009, 12:47 AM)
Thanks

if you have a long box i wouldn't go with anything over 10 feet on the floor length. As far as your rear axle is concerned the gawr on your dodge should be upwards of 9300 lbs so weight distribution from front to back is more of an issue than just the weight, keeping in mind your not overloading your rear tires. look at the center of gravity specs from lance and measure that number back from the front of your box. if you are directly over your rear axle or forward of it you are in good shape. Personnally i have a 9 foot camper on a shortbox and my center of gravity is behind my rear axle. I get along with it but i do a weight distribution dance when i pull my boat. dont be scared to put some weight on the pickup just make sure you beef it up accordingly. by the way im way over my payload rating and have no concerns with the way it handles.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.