Help - Search - Member List - Calendar
Full Version: 3-way refer
Truck Camper Forum > General > Truck Camper Specs
travelinman
Is it safe for refer to be on DC power while driving to maintain cool temp for long days drive? Appreciate any input
BR
Travelinman
truckmaniac
I had a 2006 Lance 845 with a 3 way frig.

I would always plug the camper in to AC power and run frig for 24 hours before leaving on a trip to get it cold. Once I was on the road, I ran on DC to maintain the temperature. Why use propane if you don't have to! It never gave me any problems, kept the frig at the desired temp and the current draw on your truck batteries while driving is negligible.

If you start-out with a warm refrigerator, it would probably take a week for it to ever get cool on DC alone, if at all.

My 2008 Arctic Fox has a 2 way frig. I wish it were a 3 way like my Lance. Not sure why 2 ways are used some times and 3 ways on other occasions, unless the 2 way is cheaper or maybe it gives better service since it is less complicated.
travelinman
QUOTE(truckmaniac @ Nov 7 2009, 03:46 AM)
I had a 2006 Lance 845 with a 3 way frig.

I would always plug the camper in to AC power and run frig for 24 hours before leaving on a trip to get it cold.  Once I was on the road, I ran on DC to maintain the temperature.  Why use propane if you don't have to! It never gave me any problems, kept the frig at the desired temp and the current draw on your truck batteries while driving is negligible.

If you start-out with a warm refrigerator, it would probably take a week for it to ever get cool on DC alone, if at all.

My 2008 Arctic Fox has a 2 way frig.  I wish it were a 3 way like my Lance.  Not sure why 2 ways are used some times and 3 ways on other occasions, unless the 2 way is cheaper or maybe it gives better service since it is less complicated.

Thanks much

LindaH
QUOTE(truckmaniac @ Nov 6 2009, 08:46 PM)
It never gave me any problems, kept the frig at the desired temp and the current draw on your truck batteries while driving is negligible.

Note that the "while driving" is key. If you stop for any period of time, like to have lunch, be sure to remember to switch over to propane. Running your refrigerator on DC when not driving can be a big drain on your battery.
travelinman
QUOTE(LindaH @ Nov 7 2009, 09:07 PM)
Note that the "while driving" is key.  If you stop for any period of time, like to have lunch, be sure to remember to switch over to propane.  Running your refrigerator on DC when not driving can be a big drain on your battery.

Thanks
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.