Help - Search - Member List - Calendar
Full Version: tripod camper jack question
Truck Camper Forum > General > Support Equipment
Jeep4Christ
Hi I am new to the forum (I am happy I found it not a lot of stuff that I have found for cabover campers yet). I tried to do a search but I cant easily find anything on what I would like to ask.

My issue is that I have a tripod camper jack that has broken teeth on its gears. When it gets enough weight on it it just slips and doesnt lift anymore. My issue is that I would like to be able to take it off my truck so I can use it and also work on my camper.

Question number 1: The gears in the jack look like they would be fairly easy to replace, but I have not been able to find anything in the way of replacement parts for the jacks (which is a bummer as jacks are expensive). Is there any place that carries parts like this?

Question number 2: I can not afford to buy a jack at the moment. Is there places that rent them? I have checked on Ebay and Craigslist for cheap jacks but havent found anything as of yet.

Question number 3: (this one is a little off topic but maybe someone can guide me as well) My camper has all the electrical wires all "bird nested and not hooked up to anything. I have no clue where to start, nor do I know how to run new wires if i wanted to start fresh (there is no apparent access panels inside or outside that I have found any wiring (I assume I will have to do major demo to find them...I wish I had plans or something for this old camper sad.gif ). Pretty much at this time my camper is just a place to rest my head with a stove. I would like to change that, but there isnt really anyone that I know of that has a cabover camper and knows anything about them. I guess if there isnt anything helpful I can find I might gut the camper and redo it into something creative smile.gif.

Thank you for your time smile.gif.
Dan-O
QUOTE(Jeep4Christ @ Aug 21 2009, 10:33 PM)
Hi I am new to the forum (I am happy I found it not a lot of stuff that I have found for cabover campers yet).  I tried to do a search but I cant easily find anything on what I would like to ask. 

My issue is that I have a tripod camper jack that has broken teeth on its gears.  When it gets enough weight on it it just slips and doesnt lift anymore.  My issue is that I would like to be able to take it off my truck so I can use it and also work on my camper. 

Question number 1:  The gears in the jack look like they would be fairly easy to replace, but I have not been able to find anything in the way of replacement parts for the jacks (which is a bummer as jacks are expensive).  Is there any place that carries parts like this? 

Question number 2:  I can not afford to buy a jack at the moment.  Is there places that rent them?  I have checked on Ebay and Craigslist for cheap jacks but havent found anything as of yet.

Question number 3:  (this one is a little off topic but maybe someone can guide me as well)  My camper has all the electrical wires all "bird nested and not hooked up to anything.  I have no clue where to start, nor do I know how to run new wires if i wanted to start fresh (there is no apparent access panels inside or outside that I have found any wiring (I assume I will have to do major demo to find them...I wish I had plans or something for this old camper  sad.gif ).  Pretty much at this time my camper is just a place to rest my head with a stove.  I would like to change that, but there isnt really anyone that I know of that has a cabover camper and knows anything about them.  I guess if there isnt anything helpful I can find I might gut the camper and redo it into something creative smile.gif.

Thank you for your time smile.gif.

I'm also new here. I would try to remove the gear myself and look for a machine shop to see if they could refabricate it. As for renting a jack I would try one of those equipment rental places. They usually rent all kinds of stuff like Bobcat tractors to cement mixers. They may have some kind of jack that would work. As for the electrical you can get a multi-meter and run continuity tests to see where what goes. Contact a dealer for your brand of camper to see what they can supply in the way of wire diagrams. I hope this helps.

Dan-O
Spanky
Dan-O
Even tho repairing the jack sounds good I think you would be better of replacing it.
Gary
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.