Help - Search - Member List - Calendar
Full Version: Tires and ride
Truck Camper Forum > General > General Discussion
JimU
Hi All,
We are truck camper newbies, about a year in. Bought a Northstar Laredo (2,430 lb dry) during COVID so we could see the kids and grandkids without staying in a hotel. Have used it for much more, including ski trips, and camping at my sister's farm when I help out with repairs. Probably have 6-7,000 miles with the camper on the truck. These are the parameters regarding my ride question:
1) My wife is sensitive to motion and always drives if we are together. She is not a fan of the roll when the camper is on; no problem at all when the truck is lightly loaded.
2) I am running Nokian snow tires as I spend a lot of time in Central NY, the Adirondacks, VT, etc.
3) A friend said I should get a dually because 8 sidewalls fighting the roll is better than 4. I've driven an IH stake rack quite a bit and always found a single wheel pickup better in the snow.
4) Been thinking about bigger/stiffer tires instead. I see these high end expedition vehicles usually have singles.
5) Also considering helper springs.
Any thoughts?
Thanks in advance for your help.
longshore
QUOTE(JimU @ Aug 23 2021, 07:10 PM)
Hi All,
We are truck camper newbies, about a year in.  Bought a Northstar Laredo (2,430 lb dry) during COVID so we could see the kids and grandkids without staying in a hotel.  Have used it for much more, including ski trips, and camping at my sister's farm when I help out with repairs.  Probably have 6-7,000 miles with the camper on the truck.  These are the parameters regarding my ride question:
1) My wife is sensitive to motion and always drives if we are together.  She is not a fan of the roll when the camper is on; no problem at all when the truck is lightly loaded.
2) I am running Nokian snow tires as I spend a lot of time in Central NY, the Adirondacks, VT, etc.
3) A friend said I should get a dually because 8 sidewalls fighting the roll is better than 4.  I've driven an IH stake rack quite a bit and always found a single wheel pickup better in the snow.
4) Been thinking about bigger/stiffer tires instead.  I see these high end expedition vehicles usually have singles.
5) Also considering helper springs.
Any thoughts?
Thanks in advance for your help.

Hi welcome to the forum!! We are the only ones here though. lol. Really this forum died a few years ago. I just got lucky and saw your post on a random visit.

I have a 3500 GMC with Timbrens and a Wolf Creek 890. I do get body roll, but not much I think the Timbrens are more stable than air bags would be, for example. These trucks are going to roll a bit. What size are your tires? 295 70 18 is what I will look for next time I need tires as they are rated at four thousand each. Should be a stiff sidewall tire might help with the roll.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.