Help - Search - Member List - Calendar
Full Version: 1998 F150 SuperCab
Truck Camper Forum > General > Matching Truck and Camper
marcosfish
Hi everyone, First post. I am trying to find the max payload I can put on my 1998 F160 4x4. I know the easiest way would be to weight the truck full and deduct the GVWR but I have no scales in my area. I was told that the Truck registration would have the truck weight (I calculated 4300 lbs) WOULD this make sense: 6000 gvwr minus 4300lbs= 1700 lbs of laod possible? Any help would be great. Thx smile.gif
Catch This
You probably dont want to hear this but there arent too many F150's with campers. Your load calculations sound about right. I had a F150 and gave up trying to find a camper to fit it. So I got a F250 and the options for campers increased dramatically. You will eat up that 1700 lbs in no time at all. you have to consider your weight, your passengers, your gear, your gas, and so on. I wanted a bathroom in my camper and not a porta potty. I gave up trying to find a camper with the options I wanted that would not overload a F150.
KY_Campers
QUOTE(marcosfish @ May 17 2009, 03:15 PM)
Hi everyone, First post. I am trying to find the max payload I can put on my 1998 F160 4x4. I know the easiest way would be to weight the truck full and deduct the GVWR but I have no scales in my area. I was told that the Truck registration would have the truck weight (I calculated 4300 lbs) WOULD this make sense: 6000 gvwr minus 4300lbs= 1700 lbs of laod possible? Any help would be great. Thx smile.gif

I have a 02 Ford F-150 short bed 4X4 with king cab and have a Sun Lite camper.... When I haul my camper I have to leave the tailgate down, and I had to put ''air bags'' on my truck to haul my camper, and I had to make an extension hitch so I can pull my boat.

My camper also has a bath room in it.... The ''air bags'' really helps when I haul my camper, and my camper fits great in my truck!

Check with ''Sun Lite'' truck campers.

Good-Luck!
tom
QUOTE(marcosfish @ May 17 2009, 04:15 PM)

Hi Marcosfis,

I have an 2003 F150 and had the same problem. Ended up buying a trashed 2004 TC to use as a template. I built an all aluminum frame and transferred outside skin, windows and door, also added new AC. Inside will have some aluminum wall covering and 1/8 in. wood. I'm ready to start the inside. I'm guessing my weight is around 200 lbs. since I can still lift one end off the ground by hand. The old stripped TC weighed 760 lbs. I really don't know why the industry could not make them lighter. I over built as I'm no engineer so I could even be lighter. My total dry weight will be less then half of what the TC industry considers lite. I also think the factory weight ratings on the trucks are inflated. Just max one out and see how it handles. You'll have seconded thougts about their ratings! Good luck with your journey.

Tom
KY_Campers
My Sun Lite weighs 1475lbs.

When I load it down with all my gear, and hook up my boat, Then my truck would squat..... Since I put the ''Firestone Airbags'' on my truck I don't have a problem!

My airbags will hold 100lb. of air..... But I only put 60 to 75lb of air in each, and that really helps.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.