Help - Search - Member List - Calendar
Full Version: Electric Jacks vs. Dinghy towing
Truck Camper Forum > General > General Discussion
RogerLA
Hello all, I'm new to TC. I've had my camper on the truck for about a year. The camper has hydraulic jacks and I am just too lazy (scared) to operate them. With a few camping trips planed for the summer, I want to have the freedom of driving to the nearby cities while camped. I have about $1,700 to spend on this project. I am not sure if I should invest in some electric jacks, mechanic jacks or a tow plate/tow bar/break system and bring my car with me. Your opinion is appreciated. Thanks
LindaH
It's not that big of a deal to take a camper on and off a truck...it just takes some practice, particularly in backing underneath to get it loaded again.

I doubt that you'll be able to get a base plate, tow bar, and brake system for $1,700...at least installed. Don't even know if you can buy the equipment for that amount, but perhaps if you buy used and do the installation yourself.

ON EDIT: You may want to take a look at the ReadyBrute Elite RV Tow Bar. It comes with the integrated ReadyBrake plus safety cables and in-dash light monitoring system for $831. You would still need a base plate, but this is one of the few systems you might be able to get and install (yourself) for the $1,700 you have to spend.

Of course, you could just keep your hydraultic jacks and learn to use them to save yourself a bunch of money! dry.gif
RogerLA
Thanks Linda. How about mechanical jacks? Aren't they much easier to operate? I think I can install them by myself.
weld1
QUOTE(RogerLA @ Mar 15 2009, 05:07 AM)
Thanks Linda. How about mechanical jacks? Aren't they much easier to operate? I think I can install them by myself.

Roger, I have had several campers that i installed hydraulic jacks on, I like them better that mechanical. How big is your camper? When I camp I am usually fishing or hunting and I always set the camper off. I can set it off In 10 minutes using hydraulics. It will take a little longer to pack up to leave. You cannot beat the ease of electric but there is always a chance of failure. Of course any jack can fail, my suggestion, if your camper is not to big, use the hydraulics.
RogerLA
QUOTE(weld1 @ Mar 18 2009, 10:49 PM)
Roger, I have had several campers that i installed hydraulic jacks on, I like them better that mechanical. How big is your camper? When I camp I am usually fishing or hunting and I always set the camper off. I can set it off In 10 minutes using hydraulics. It will take a little longer to pack up to leave. You cannot beat the ease of electric but there is always a chance of failure. Of course any jack can fail, my suggestion, if your camper is not to big, use the hydraulics.

My camper is a 1988 Lance 980 11.3. The truck is a 1995 F350 crew cab dually. No sure if it it is considered a big camper or not. I usually camp with the kids by my self and I have my hands full. Anything that can make my life easier when camping means a lot. I guess I'll start practicing with what I have at home. Roger
weld1
QUOTE(RogerLA @ Mar 18 2009, 11:23 PM)
My camper is a 1988 Lance 980 11.3. The truck is a 1995 F350 crew cab dually. No sure if it it is considered a big camper or not. I usually camp with the kids by my self and I have my hands full. Anything that can make my life easier when camping means a lot. I guess I'll start practicing with what I have at home. Roger

That is a fairley big camper, If your camper is not prewired for electric it would be more of a job to install electric. either way it is expensive. the more you use it the more you will like the hydraulic. they were my favorite until i had a camper with electric. best of luck to you and have a great camping season.
brownies daddy
QUOTE(RogerLA @ Mar 19 2009, 03:23 AM)

Dont be afraid of your hyd jacks go ahead and use them ,its like backing a boat down the ramp the slower the better , you will see its no problem ,it just takes alittle time and practice wink.gif I would use the money elsewhere and not buy the electric jacks the hydralic ones work good and the are easy to maintain
RogerLA
QUOTE(brownies daddy @ Mar 20 2009, 05:18 AM)
Dont be afraid of your hyd jacks go ahead and use them ,its like backing a boat down the ramp  the slower the better  , you will see its no problem ,it just takes alittle time and practice wink.gif  I would use the money elsewhere and not buy the electric jacks the hydralic ones work good and the are easy to mantain

Thanks guys, I'll keep the hydraulic jacks.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.