Help - Search - Member List - Calendar
Full Version: Lance camper for shortbed F250
Truck Camper Forum > General > General Discussion
KeithK
Hi, yet another new truck camper looking for advice. We currently own a 5th wheel camper and want to downsize our camping rig to a slide in camper. We own a 1999 Ford Superduty F250 4X4 shortbed with the 7.3 Diesel, truck is still in great shape and don't want to buy a new one and have more payments so I am looking for anyone who is hauling a Lance Slide in Camper on a shoprtbed f250 with the diesel engine. I have wieghed the truck empty and only have 1200 lbs to haul, but I do have airbags on it and I know I am going to have to go over the GVWR in order to use a camper. We are looking at the Lance and would really like the 861 but believe it is too heavy at 3000 lbs plus, the 845 is still heavy but I wonder if anyone is hauling this one with my truck, it is 2400 lbs plus.

Would appreciate any feedback from f250 shortbed owners, Thanks Keith cool.gif
dennisa
smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif Hi Keith,
I have a 2008 Lance 861 Camper and a 2002 GMC 2500 HD 4x4 Short bed Crew Cab, Diesel. I installed Air Bags, Super Springs and replace the Wheel and Tires with Rickson 19.5" x 6.75" Wheel. I have Michelin XZE 225/70R 19.5 Tires on the wheel. The side walls on the tires are 14 ply, so it keeps my truck from rocking. Also I installed a Back up Camera. I have no problems with the set up I have on my truck. I would get the wheels and tires because the Lance 861 is 3400 lbs empty. I hope this answer your questions.
Dennis
QUOTE(KeithK @ Sep 13 2008, 10:16 PM)
Hi, yet another new truck camper looking for advice. We currently own a 5th wheel camper and want to downsize our camping rig to a slide in camper. We own a 1999 Ford Superduty F250 4X4 shortbed with the 7.3 Diesel, truck is still in great shape and don't want to buy a new one and have more payments so I am looking for anyone who is hauling a Lance Slide in Camper on a shoprtbed f250 with the diesel engine. I have wieghed the truck empty and only have 1200 lbs to haul, but I do have airbags on it and I know I am going to have to go over the GVWR in order to use a camper. We are looking at the Lance and would really like the 861 but believe it is too heavy at 3000 lbs plus, the 845 is still heavy but I wonder if anyone is hauling this one with my truck, it is 2400 lbs plus.

Would appreciate any feedback from f250 shortbed owners, Thanks Keith  cool.gif

KeithK
Appreciate the reply Dennis, we have purchased our new camper and decided to go with the Lance 815. I couldn't get past the weight issue and didn't want to severly overload my truck. As it is without loading personal gear she weighed 2500 lbs, started as 1865 lbs on the brochure so the few options added up pretty quickly. I took the whole rig to work and all together weighed 10,000 lbs on the nose, I figure ready for camping it will come in maybe 10,750 to 11,000 with full fuel and water and passengers and all the junk my better half can cram into it.
When we unloaded our fifth wheel for trade in we couldn't believe how much stuff we had crammed in there, and how much stuff we had probably never used just cause I like to be prepared. Can't do that anymore now, there just isn't the room.
Hope to see ya all camping, camping weather is here now in Florida.

Keith biggrin.gif
Mulepick
QUOTE(KeithK @ Oct 3 2008, 05:28 PM)
Appreciate the reply Dennis, we have purchased our new camper and decided to go with the Lance 815. I couldn't get past the weight issue and didn't want to severly overload my truck. As it is without loading personal gear she weighed 2500 lbs, started as 1865 lbs on the brochure so the few options added up pretty quickly. I took the whole rig to work and all together weighed 10,000 lbs on the nose, I figure ready for camping it will come in maybe 10,750 to 11,000 with full fuel and water and passengers and all the junk my better half can cram into it.
When we unloaded our fifth wheel for trade in we couldn't believe how much stuff we had crammed in there, and how much stuff we had probably never used just cause I like to be prepared. Can't do that anymore now, there just isn't the room.
Hope to see ya all camping, camping weather is here now in Florida.

Keith biggrin.gif

My 06 handles my 820 just fine and I'd have no problem picking up an 830 if I could afford one. No additions except for a big rear sway bar and air bags. I use BFG Radial T/As that are only D rated and have had no problems hauling the camper and a utility trailer with bikes/junk. The Rickmans are sweet but I need the traction for off road.

Bob
Catch This
I have a 03 F250 4x4 short bed with and 06 Lance 845. I had to put airbags on the truck to level it out. It works for me.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.