Help - Search - Member List - Calendar
Full Version: Newbie Looking for Direction
Truck Camper Forum > General > Truck Camper Specs
Put Down That Axe Eugene
Ok, I'm doing my basic research. I've decided a truck camper will meet my needs better than anything else out there but I need some information. I've pretty much decided on the Lance 1181 and the Dodge 2500 4x4 (not firm on the either of these yet, but that's my starting point). Basic Question #1: what is the difference between a wet bath and a dry bath? What is the advantage or disadvantage of either one? Basic Question #2: Can a stock pick up, such as the 2500, carry a 3600 pound camper or is there a need for a lot of special support? Basic Question #3: I know this is a pretty open question depending on a lot of variables, but how much can I reasonably expect the addtional weight to cut down on gas mileage? Are we going from miles per gallon to gallons per mile here?
I will probably have a lot more to ask as I get down to the wire but I would appreciate your help on these issues. Thanks.
garbinator
QUOTE(Put Down That Axe Eugene @ Sep 5 2008, 04:47 PM)
Ok, I'm doing my basic research. I've decided a truck camper will meet my needs better than anything else out there but I need some information. I've pretty much decided on the Lance 1181 and the Dodge 2500 4x4 (not firm on the either of these yet, but that's my starting point). Basic Question #1: what is the difference between a wet bath and a dry bath? What is the advantage or disadvantage of either one? Basic Question #2: Can a stock pick up, such as the 2500, carry a 3600 pound camper or is there a need for a lot of special support? Basic Question #3: I know this is a pretty open question depending on a lot of variables, but how much can I reasonably expect the addtional weight to cut down on gas mileage? Are we going from miles per gallon to gallons per mile here?
I will probably have a lot more to ask as I get down to the wire but I would appreciate your help on these issues. Thanks.

WoW! Been there done that! I have already completed a post about this very thing. If you go through with this purchase you will be one PO'd camper owner!

I also pray you and anybody riding with you has a good life insurance policy! Don't believe me, Phone Lance tomorrow and ask them! 3500 one ton dually any brand, but MUST be fully outfitted with all heavy duty optional camper package in addition to rear air bags. The Ford 450 is a better choice but pricey, but! You will get heaver duty brakes (and tires) than the standard one ton dually.

IF YOUR GOING TO DO IT, THEN WHY NOT DO IT RIGHT THE FIRST TIME AROUND

NOW THAT I GOT YOUR ATTENTION...

#1: what is the difference between a wet bath and a dry bath? What is the advantage or disadvantage of either one?

If you've settled on the 1181 whats it matter? You have a dry bath! I love the 1181! The wet bath, while you shower, only means the ol' lady gets wet with you while she uses the potty! LOL

Basic Question #2: Can a stock pick up, such as the 2500, carry a 3600 pound camper or is there a need for a lot of special support?

See above death notice!

Basic Question #3: I know this is a pretty open question depending on a lot of variables, but how much can I reasonably expect the addtional weight to cut down on gas mileage?

If purchasing any heavy RV if you cannot afford the gas? Then why buy one? I was always asked this every-time I had a customer looking at a 10 to 20,000lb (or more) behemoth! They are big, they are... anyway, 6 to 9 gas, 6 to 13 or so diesel, tail wind, head wind, downhill uphill, be prepared to shell out the bucks for fuel whenever you use it.

Are we going from miles per gallon to gallons per mile here? Naaah that would be an M-1 Abraham's category.

I will probably have a lot more to ask as I get down to the wire but I would appreciate your help on these issues.

Ask away... I'll try to remember to revisit this site more often as there hasn't been alot of traffic of late.
radjcw5
Where is your post you filed earlier, Garbinator? The 'Search for posts' function seems broken.
Thanks.
radjcw
garbinator
QUOTE(radjcw5 @ Sep 18 2008, 07:47 AM)
Where is your post you filed earlier, Garbinator? The 'Search for posts' function seems broken.
Thanks.
radjcw

Mostly guessing here... but I think you might be referring to my description of driving a 2500 4x4 with a factory upgraded one ton suspension package. Keep iin mind too I live near the Mojave Desert where 50 to 100 mile per hour winds are normal...if you need I'll be happy to detail that experience if you wish.
radjcw5
QUOTE(garbinator @ Sep 21 2008, 01:06 PM)
Mostly guessing here... but I think you might be referring to my description of driving a 2500 4x4 with a factory upgraded one ton suspension package. Keep iin mind too I live near the Mojave Desert where 50 to 100 mile per hour winds are normal...if you need I'll be happy to detail that experience if you wish.

Thanks. No one has commented on my other post, looking for advice. I appreciate any comments for this newbie.
radjcw
RRRDAD
I currently own a 2003 Dodge 2500 ,5.9, long box , no duallies. MY camper is 9 1/2 foot long and wieghs in around 2400 fully loaded. The truck does squat a bit and due to no duallies it does have quite a top heavy sway to it maybe not found if it was a dually. Mileage without the camper is 22 and with the camper it is around 16. Hope this helps....My camper is for sale by the way.............MM
Countess
QUOTE(Put Down That Axe Eugene @ Sep 5 2008, 11:47 PM)

Well, I hope this is the right place to anser your post. I know more about campers than computers (and that's not saying much!)
I used to own a truck sales company (used) and I don't think there is a better camper truck around than a Dodge Diesel. I like a 4X4, for obvious reasons. You'll want to really watch your camper weight, too heavy is just Painful! I've had an 86 9 1/2' Okanagan on my 96 Dodge for 10 years, and the combo is great. My fuel mileage is about 20 miles to the gallon, with or without the camper, but goes down a bit with the horse trailer loaded with a ton of horses!
Good luck, check under the bed, and table cushions for leaks, and try to buy one that has been sitting out in the rain for the last 48 hrs. Seriously. The other make I like is Vanguard. TravelAire are complete junk.
PS: Do NOT trust anybody telling you an older camper will fit on a newer truck. SOME of them do, but et out your measuring tape, and measure between the wheel wells AND between the tail lites, where the tailgate would close.
Take booster cables everywhere, and start out camping in your yard, so you don't get any unwelcome surprises in the bush!
LindaH
I've pretty much decided on the Lance 1181 and the Dodge 2500 4x4  ...   Basic Question #2: Can a stock pick up, such as the 2500, carry a 3600 pound camper?

Too much camper or too little truck. For an 1181, you'll need at least a 1-ton with duallies. I don't have the Lance brochure in front of me, but I suspect that 3,600# is dry weight? If so, how much is it going to weigh once you load it up with all your "stuff" including water and propane? Either get a bigger truck, or look for a much smaller, lighter weight camper.
Basic Question #1: what is the difference between a wet bath and a dry bath?

A wet bath is an all-in-one bathroom; i.e., you shower in the same space as the toilet and sink. A dry bath has a separate shower.
Basic Question #3:  how much can I reasonably expect the addtional weight to cut down on gas mileage?

No one can answer that question for you because there are too many variables; i.e., are you going to be traveling flat land, or up and down through the moutains? Are you going to be traveling with a tail wind or a head wind? Are you going to be traveling 75 MPH or 55 MPH? All of these things will impact fuel mileage. An additional factor will be whether you get a gas engine or a diesel engine.

Obviously, your fuel mileage will go down carrying a camper over not carrying one. However, if you insist on putting a 4,000#+ loaded camper on a 3/4-ton truck, fuel mileage will be the least of your worries.
TA_Pump
QUOTE(Put Down That Axe Eugene @ Sep 5 2008, 04:47 PM)

From one newbie to another, thats way too much camper for the truck. I just a 94 caribou, which weighs just over 3000# dry, and put it on my stock 1 ton Ford. Im already in the market for air bags. I would be very nervous about putting a camper that weighs 600# more than mine in my truck, much less a 3/4 ton. I think its hard to realize what that much weight will do to your truck unless you have driven with a camper on. Its a whole new ball game. I'd rethink the combo.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.