Help - Search - Member List - Calendar
Full Version: First timer here.... 2001 Ram Quad 2500 short box
Truck Camper Forum > General > Truck Camper Specs
laurie83833
Hello,

Hubby and I thought maybe for some weekend fun we would get a used camper for our pickup. Its a 2001 Ram 2500 quad short box 6.5/8. 4x4

We are looking at used campers as we are not going to use it enough to justify purchasing new we are snow birds and gone to our vacation home 7 months each year and only back at this home for the remainder months.

With that being said I looked on KBB for the spec's of our truck and it says this:
Pay load capacity: 3020 (I assume this is the total weight we can have on the truck besides the weight of the truck itself?)

Maximum GVWR - is 8800 pounds (assume this is total weight we can have loaded down including the weight of the truck?)

Curb Weight: 5302 (Assume means weight of the truck only)
Are my assumtions above correct?

OK so with a 6 5/5 long bed box - what size camper in length can we get? Since we will not use the camper very much we do not want to spend very much thus the campers that fit in our range we want to spend are the 70-80 models. I think the are heavier then the new ones -

Any suggestions on what a good one might be for our rig any models, length you can supply me with would be well appreciated. We just started looking through adds but we have no idea what we should look for.

I found a 1987 Lance Squire (Fridge does not work and they say needs some TLC) in our price range. Its a LS1000 I think and 7.6 ft. He is asking $1000 OBO and the fridge does not work and he said a couple small dings on outside. Not sure if this is a reasonable price he is asking or not. ???? any input?

Is that the size we have to stick with as far as the length due to our bed size or can we go longer or do we even need to go shorter?

Thanks so much - like I said just now looking so any ideas, suggestions comments etc would be so VERY much appreciated.

biggrin.gif
aqualung
Yes, you're right on the truck's numbers. The payload number is what the truck can carry in addition to its own weight. Note that passengers, fuel, accessories etc are included in that payload.

For the camper weight, assume you'll be carrying up to 1000lbs of stuff in the camper (just a rule of thumb), so you should be looking for a camper that is around 2000lbs or less.

In terms of the camper length, you can go longer than the truck bed if you want to. The key is to make sure that the camper's center of gravity is at or in front of the rear axle. The center of gravity on the camper is the point where it would balance from front to back. Some campers have the COG marked on it, others don't but if the seller knows what it is, its important information.

Hope this helps.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.