Help - Search - Member List - Calendar
Full Version: Does Anyone Know (KNOW) the Optimum TD Angle?
Truck Camper Forum > General > Support Equipment
deminimis
Has any official source ever actually stated what the actual optimum camper tie down angle is? Torklift, etc, often advertise their mounts allow for the optimum tie down angle, but I have yet to see the actual number (or range). Looking at my former Bigfoot with Torklifts, the angle looked to be approx 30 degrees (front and rear). Our former setup did not budge, even off road in Baja plus hours of washboard, etc., so it worked and worked well. Getting ready to mount tie down points on my current camper/flatbed project. I'm going to maintain the lines that are already there with the side wall drop/slope (which is, happily, approx 30 degrees). Nonetheless, I wonder if any true expert has offered an opinion on the actual optimum angle. I've seen some horribly mounted campers, even on forums, so really looking for the official word (which I do not think actually exists). I guess this is more of an academic exercise than anything, but if someone truly knows the range, I'd like to hear it. Google searches yield the question, but never the answer. Thanks.
17 Oaks
QUOTE(deminimis @ Feb 12 2015, 11:52 AM)
Has any official source ever actually stated what the actual optimum camper tie down angle is?  Torklift, etc, often advertise their mounts allow for the optimum tie down angle, but I have yet to see the actual number (or range).  Looking at my former Bigfoot with Torklifts, the angle looked to be approx 30 degrees (front and rear).  Our former setup did not budge, even off road in Baja plus hours of washboard, etc., so it worked and worked well.  Getting ready to mount tie down points on my current camper/flatbed project.  I'm going to maintain the lines that are already there with the side wall drop/slope (which is, happily, approx 30 degrees).  Nonetheless, I wonder if any true expert has offered an opinion on the actual optimum angle.  I've seen some horribly mounted campers, even on forums, so really looking for the official word (which I do not think actually exists).  I guess this is more of an academic exercise than anything, but if someone truly knows the range, I'd like to hear it.  Google searches yield the question, but never the answer.  Thanks.

I need some help on this: "actual optimum camper tie down angle is?" What is this??? I have no idea.

Worse, perhaps, my TC sits in the bed of my truck, flat on a mat I have in there, I do know of any options I have to change that other than to build angled ramps to change the angle it sits?

Help me out on this, maybe I can make a contribution...
twobit
QUOTE(17 Oaks @ Jun 27 2015, 10:36 AM)
I need some help on this:  "actual optimum camper tie down angle is?"  What is this???  I have no idea.

Worse, perhaps, my TC sits in the bed of my truck, flat on a mat I have in there, I do know of any options I have to change that other than to build angled ramps to change the angle it sits?

Help me out on this, maybe I can make a contribution...

I think he is talking about the angle from vertical that the tie-downs (turnbuckels) are when on the truck. Such as the bottom of the rear tie-down angles back 30 degrees from the top and the front angle forward 30 degrees from the top
deminimis
Yup. Got it figured out about 1.5yrs back. Thanks.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.