Help - Search - Member List - Calendar
Full Version: 1987 F250 7.3 Diesel 2WD 8ft bed
Truck Camper Forum > General > Matching Truck and Camper
TruckCamperOld
I have a 1987 F250 7.3 Diesel, is this truck big enough to handle a late 70s model truck camper with an overall length of about 16ft?

I have an 8 foot full size truck bed, just wanna be sure the camper won't overload the tires, or shocks, etc...
Sailor Dave
What make is the camper? Is the company still in business? Is there a weight tag on the camper?

Check your truck for a tag showing GVWR and GAWR. It might be in the glove box or on the drivers side door jam.

Check for these numbers, the make and model of camper and weight on campers tag and post them.

SD
TruckCamperOld
The GVW says something like 6,000 LBS for the rear. The Camper weighs 2300lbs, camper is currently in back of pickup.

Will my shocks & springs be able to hold this beast? I have it tied down already and have driven 90 miles with it in the bed already. I hope it won't ruin my rims, tires, etc...
Sailor Dave
The 6000 pounds is probably an axle rating. Are you sure it says GVWR? and not GAWR? There should be a GAWR (gross axle weight rating) for both the front and rear axle as well as a GVWR (gross vehicle weight rating) on the tag.

You really need to know all three to determine if its safe to carry the camper on your truck. Check again.

You might be able to get these numbers from a Ford truck dealer using your VIN number.
TruckCamperOld
GAWR: Front-3965lbs
Back-6084

GVWR-8800LB

What's that all mean? Camper weighs about 2300LB, but I saw the tag say the truck is not ambulance ready.
Sailor Dave
What you should do is remove the camper, fill up the gas tank and take the truck to a scale and have it weighed. Many truck stops will have a scale you can use. Look for a "Cat Scale" sign. Weigh the truck while your not in it. This will give you your "curb weight". Then subtract the "curb weight" of the truck from your 8800 pound GVWR. This will tell you how much load capacity the truck actually has.

Knowing your actual load capacity will determine just how big of a trcuk camper you can carry. But remember that load capicity includes the weight of the camper fully loaded with food and equipment and the weight of all passengers.

Then take the truck back to the scale with the camper on, fully loaded and stay in the truck when its weighed. Have the front axle weighed (just the front tires on the scale), the full truck weighed (both front and rear tires on the scale) and the rear axle weighed (just the rear tires on the scale). This will tell you several things.

The front axle weighing will tell you if you are exceeding the front axle weight rating.

The full truck weighing will tell if you are exceeding the GVWR.

The rear axle weighing will tell you if your exceeding the rear axle weight rating.

If you subract the curb weight and your body weight from the full truck weight you will know what the trcuk camper weighs fully loaded. Remember that the tagged weight on the trcuk camper is the dry weight and does not include the weight of any installed options, gear, water, food, et.

Am I being clear enough?
TruckCamperOld
Not going to drive 20 miles to a scale.

It's an F250 3/4 ton, with the numbers I have, the weight is not bearing down on the truck.

F250s were designed to carry truck campers, especially the ones from 1987 as mine is, it even had all the attachments in the box from the factory ready for the tie downs.

I was concerned about why it's stating on a tag in the door it's not ambulance ready and that it'd be a fire hazard to make it into an ambulance, got me thinking about my truck camper weight..

I know how to go to a scale & subtract this and that. I was simply wanting to know from someone else's experience how something like this rides generally.

I've already noticed that I can't stop on a dime as good as I could without the camper in the truck bed. Is a little give to be expected or not?
Sailor Dave
Your original post stated, "just wanna be sure the camper won't overload the tires, or shocks, etc... "

I was just trying to help you find that answer. Sorry if I offended you.

Good luck and happy camping!

SD
mathek
Sailor I think your reply was very nice and informant....even if he don't appricate your help, I did.

Kurt

QUOTE(Sailor Dave @ Apr 22 2012, 07:00 PM)
Your original post stated, "just wanna be sure the camper won't overload the tires, or shocks, etc... "

I was just trying to help you find that answer. Sorry if I offended you.

Good luck and happy camping!

SD

kampli100
First of all i really appreciate to you that you have drive a huge length truck.Its very hard to drive this big truck.What is total weight scale of that truck without any loading?Which scale do i use for the weight?
drinkypoo
It's almost certainly not a legal combination on the F250. My 1992 super cab with automatic (up-rated due to the upgraded frame in 1992) has less than 2,000 pounds of capacity free before you're over the weight limit.

With that said, it's almost certainly not too much weight for your truck to physically handle, I've had quite a bit more in mine, IF you have D load tires in good condition, and no problems with the brakes or axle.

And with that said, you should consider that these trucks didn't really come with enough brake. If you're going to run around with a lot of weight in that truck you should consider a hydroboost conversion from an early nineties F250HD, if you can scrounge one. These trucks were pretty much built for towing, and they'll tow quite a bit.

I have a 9ft week-n-der, I wonder what that weighs. I know the truck was happy to carry it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.