Help - Search - Member List - Calendar
Full Version: HELP
Truck Camper Forum > General > Truck Camper Specs
skynyrdrules
I am totally new to this whole camper thing. Every thing i read is from one end of the spectrum to the other. My ? is i have a 1997 f250 hd diesel 4x4 long box, it has racho adj shocks, air bags n the rear, and extra leave springs, the camper im looking at is 2800# dry. the guys that work at the dealers say my truck will handle it, some say no. On the forums theres people that r even heavier and say they love there set up. just tryin to get sum realistic info. thank you
Spanky
I see no raeson why your truck would have any problems carring this camper.
Sloppy
I've been surprised by how low the payload limits are on the diesel F250's.
Try here to find weight and axle limits:

https://www.fleet.ford.com/showroom/rv_trai...ing/default.asp

Ask the dealer if they'll show you in writing (and put in the sale contract) that your truck will handle the loads...
Mikemcgl
You can also ask around for the Slid In Camper Giude book. I saw one at the Ford dealer when I was there last week and asked for a copy. I'll post my copy if someone tells me how to post it. It's one page and lists the specs on slide in campers.
skynyrdrules
QUOTE(Spanky @ Jan 6 2012, 07:38 PM)
I see no raeson why your truck would have any problems carring this camper.

yea i am with you. i just bought a 2005 lance 920 model, that thing is awsome. i talked to a camper place and they said its no prob for my truck. thank u i appreciate the reply
skynyrdrules
QUOTE(Sloppy @ Jan 10 2012, 11:17 PM)
I've been surprised by how low the payload limits are on the diesel F250's. 
Try here to find weight and axle limits:

https://www.fleet.ford.com/showroom/rv_trai...ing/default.asp

Ask the dealer if they'll show you in writing (and put in the sale contract) that your truck will handle the loads...

ok thanks alot appreciate the reply.
Oscar
Many people, particularly sales people, will tell you "Sure, no problem".

There is only one way to be legal. Go to a CAT scale at a truck stop and for $10 weigh your truck. You'll get the total weight and each axle weight.

Now look on your door for a sticker that lists the max for these weights. Now do the math.

If you're not sure what the camper weighs, have the seller weigh his truck with and without the camper.
Sailor Dave
This type of question is posted a lot and Oscar is right. The only true way to know is to get a curb weight of YOUR truck.

Some people dont realize it but the load capacity of, say, 2 F250"s built the same year could be quite a bit different.

Cab types, box lengths, engine types, 2x4 vs 4x4 and other vehicle options all effect the curb weight of the truck. For example, deisel engins weigh hundreds of pounds more than a gas engine and a crew cab will weigh more than regular cab. This extra weight will rob you of load capacity because the GVWR for both trucks is the same.

The only way to tell what you really have is to take everything out of the truck, fill up the gas tank and take it to a CAT scale and weigh it. This will give you a steer axle (front) weight, a drive axle (rear) weight and the total weight of both.
Subtract your body weight from the total and you have an accurate curb weight.

Then check the door post on the truck for the GVRW (Gross Vehicle Weight rating), the front GAWR (Gross Axke Weight Rating) and the rear GAWR.

Subtract your curb weight from the GVWR and you have your total load capacity. Subtract your steer axle weight from the front GAWR and you have your front axle weight capacity. Subtract your drive axle weight from the rear GAWR and you have your rear axle load capacity.

Now you can make an intellegent choice of which truck camper will best fit your truck.

Dont be surprised if your load capacity is less than you think.
bela374
There is only one way to be legal. Go to a CAT scale at a truck stop and for $10 weigh your truck. You'll get the total weight and each axle weight.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.