Help - Search - Member List - Calendar
Full Version: Help with the decisions!!
Truck Camper Forum > General > Truck Camper Specs
crazyhats5
So this will be my first camper set-up and I have a few questions on what to do or get. My hauler is a 2005 Chevy 2500hd diesel cc with a 6'6" foot bed. I want to get a 2011 Lance 865,or something in that range if it's possible. I will be doing the firestone airbags...is the onboard compresor worth the money? I will be getting a hellwig sway bar kit if needed. For wheels and tires I have the stock 16",my major question on these is are they safe if loaded with a camper and poss. boat? I will get 265/75/16 bfg's at's. Or sould I get some vision 225/70/19.5 heavy duty wheels and some heavy duty tire 12 ply or better? This will be used taking my family so I want to be safe as I can! I do hunt and fish so I will be off road some will the 19.5 be o.k. if I go that route? Thank you for the help any recomendations are welcome Adam smile.gif
Dave D.
Your truck is a great platform for towing a large trailer. Your limitation for a truck camper is that it only has a 2,000 lb payload with the diesel and 9,200 lb GVWR. I suggest you fill your gas tank and put the family in and run down to the local scales ($10). I know when I did this we were shocked to tip the scales at 7,500 lbs in the same truck you had. That meant we could only carry 1,700 lbs. You are looking at a campler that when you fill the water tanks, add an aux battery and air conditioner that will weigh 2,200 lbs. Then add food, water, propane, clothes, (those suit cases can get heavy). My guess is that you will be at minimum 1,000 lbs overweight. The engine, tranny will be fine. Don't know the axle ratings. If you get this camper, best not too look overloaded so install air bags. If you don't like getting down on your hands and knees, you will be happy with the onboard air compressor. A beefed up rear sway bar will give you some cornering security. My only concern with your camper choice and truck, is insurance. Up in Canada they ask so many questions when you have a truck. You could buy RV insurance from a different dealer then Auto insurance. Usually you are okay in an accident if no one is injured. Once there is an injury, there will be a police investigation and you might have a "problem".

What I can say from experience, My last trip accross Canada to the mountains with a hard wall camper on we hit some serious winds and it felt very stable so can vouch for the saftey of the truck on camper concept. Good Luck
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.