Help - Search - Member List - Calendar
Full Version: generator noise
Truck Camper Forum > General > Support Equipment
janet
I am poised, ready to buy a Lance camper with an Onan 2500 generator. I am very concerned about the noise level, both for myself and my camping neighbors. It seems the cupboard the generator sits in could be sprayed with some sort of acoustical material. Has anybody tried that? Is there a reason it should not be done? Has anybody come up with a different solution? ANY help or advice would be appreciated. Thanks!!
NMcamper
QUOTE(janet @ Jan 28 2007, 07:47 PM)
I am poised, ready to buy a Lance camper with an Onan 2500 generator.  I am very concerned about the noise level, both for myself and my camping neighbors.  It seems the cupboard the generator sits in could be sprayed with some sort of acoustical material.  Has anybody tried that?  Is there a reason it should not be done? Has anybody come up with a different solution?  ANY help or advice would be appreciated.  Thanks!!

I'm sure this camper has made her decision long ago, but for others with the same question Honda generators seem to be almost whisper quiet.
brownies daddy
QUOTE(NMcamper @ Feb 8 2009, 03:57 AM)
I'm sure this camper has made her decision long ago, but for others with the same question Honda generators seem to be almost whisper quiet.

the onan gens set is bulletproof ,its safe it has its own space ,no cords ,no clutter no gas, you dont have to drag everything out and roll it back up when you leave, ive used all of them and Ill take the microlight propane rig any day
LindaH
QUOTE(NMcamper @ Feb 7 2009, 09:57 PM)

While that certainly is true, the camper the OP was looking at already had an Onan generator in it.

While I would prefer a gas generator (particularly the Honda or Yamaha because they are so quiet), because they are much more fuel efficient than a propane generator, having a built-in generator has a lot to recommend it...all the points listed by Brownies Daddy. Those are the reasons we finally decided to order the generator option on the camper we'll be picking up around the first of May.

No one answered Janet's question about doing something to quiet the generator. Has anyone done anything that worked?
TClovinit
I have a Lance 981 with the onan gen. and thought that it was very noisy as well, but the the convience of the gen. has made the noise less bothersome. To be considerate of other campers we never run it long and park the truck so the back of the camper is aiming away from others. As you get futher from the camper the noise becomes less of a problem as well.
Robtechno
QUOTE(TClovinit @ Jul 28 2009, 09:35 AM)
I have a Lance 981 with the onan gen. and thought that it was very noisy as well, but the the convience of the gen. has made the noise less bothersome. To be considerate of other campers we never run it long and park the truck so the back of the camper is aiming away from others. As you get futher from the camper the noise becomes less of a problem as well.

I use a Honda 2000I, and at the low level it's quiet. I am not overly happy with the noise. I am going to alter the muffler this winter to have it run with less noise. When you have a built in leave it until it breaksdown. Than a Honda is cheaper.
PapaMac
Could a person use a product like Dynomat, They use it in vehicles to dampen noise, They have a product for firewalls too so that maybe the better answer. Just my thoughts, I dont have a built in Gen, but carry one.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.