post Jun 14 2012, 08:03 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,113
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Lance
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: Ford F350, Toyota Tundra
Type of Tiedowns used: none
Truck and Camper Setup: F350 Super Duty Crew Cab, TritonV10

I have a 2002 F350, SD XLT TritonV10, Crew Cab that we used with a family of 5 to tow a 27ft Fleetwood Prowler. My boys are now 15, 17 and 20 and moved to water sports last year when we started boating with a 14ft coast guard style Achilles inflatable. Since they don't like the camping part as much these days we decided to get a bigger boat but now are stuck with the problem that we have a boat to use locally on the ocean and on lakes (Southern California) but can't tow both for longer trips together with the travel trailer.
So we have decided it would be best to scale down to a larger camper that would mostly be used by my wife and myself and then maybe also a tent if we take the boys along. I should mention that we usually keep the 2 mid-size (65lbs) dogs in the truck bed with camper shell so far.
Any recommendations for a solid (larger) camper that the F350 can handle towing Maxum 2300 SC 23ft (4188lbs plus 60GAL fuel tank). I have looked at Lance campers on craigslist and also heard about Host (they are offering $10,000 off factory direct sales right now). The key for us is to be flexible with space (2-5 persons plus dogs).
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
skyhammer
post Jun 14 2012, 09:41 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 5,520
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Host
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: 2011 F-350,4WD,CC,DRW
Type of Tiedowns used: Tork lift fast guns
Truck and Camper Setup: Air bags, tork lift stable loads,Reese extension hitch. Host 11.5' triple slide

Even if your truck is a DRW you will be over weight.
With 5 people, 2 dogs and the hitch weight of your boat, you are using up at least 1200lb of pay load before you load the camper.
On an SRW, that will mean the heaviest camper you could carry have to under 3000lbs., probably a lot less.
The lightest Host weigh nearly 3000lbs, dry, with no options. Loaded up you are looking at 4000lbs.
It would be tough sleeping 5 adult size people in my Everest. Looks like you would have to kick some of kids out into a tent.
Bottom line, you don't have enough truck(if SRW), to do what you want.
Even with Hosts, smallest long bed camper you would be right at if not over you weight limit.

--------------------
2011, F-350,CC,DRW,6.7,4WD
Air bags, Tork Lift Stable Loads
Host, 11.5' Tripple Slide
Tork Lift Fast Guns
+Quote Post
marekli
post Jun 14 2012, 01:02 PM
Post #3

...the truck is a dually. Maybe there is something that can be done to the truck to increase the pay load capacity? Sleeping for the boys could be on the boat or in a tent...the option I least like obviously is having us drive an additional vehicle (may be ok for short trips). We do longer trips up the coast to Oregon, Washington and have been to Colorado too and that would just be too much for us driving 2 vehicles.

QUOTE(skyhammer @ Jun 14 2012, 07:41 AM)
Even if your truck is a DRW you will be over weight.
With 5 people, 2 dogs and the hitch weight of your boat, you are using up at least 1200lb of pay load before you load the camper.
On an SRW, that will mean the heaviest camper you could carry have to under 3000lbs., probably a lot less.
The lightest Host weigh nearly 3000lbs, dry, with no options. Loaded up you are looking at 4000lbs.
It would be tough sleeping 5 adult size people in my Everest. Looks like you would have to kick some of kids out into a tent.
Bottom line, you don't have enough truck(if SRW), to do what you want.
Even with Hosts, smallest long bed camper you would be right at if not over you weight limit.

+Quote Post
skyhammer
post Jun 14 2012, 02:43 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 5,520
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: 2011 F-350,4WD,CC,DRW
Type of Tiedowns used: Tork lift fast guns
Truck and Camper Setup: Air bags, tork lift stable loads,Reese extension hitch. Host 11.5' triple slide

There is nothing you can add to the truck to legally increase GVWR or payload. You are stuck with the drivers door sticker says.
There are things you can do to make the over weight truck handle the weight better, such as stable loads, air bags etc.
Weigh your truck,preferably with all the passengers and stuff.
Then look at your available GVWR, the difference between the two will tell you how much pay load you have.
That # will tell you how heavy a camper you can carry. Also subtract what the hitch weight of boat is and if you get a camper over 8', you will have subtract the weight of the hitch extension for the boat.
The actual pay load of your truck will certainly be less than what is on the sticker.
Weighing the truck will help avoid any surprises weight wise.

--------------------
2011, F-350,CC,DRW,6.7,4WD
Air bags, Tork Lift Stable Loads
Host, 11.5' Tripple Slide
Tork Lift Fast Guns
+Quote Post
marekli
post Jun 14 2012, 02:58 PM
Post #5

ok, I guess, that makes most sense, weigh everything and see what's left for a possible camper configuration...may not be much though it seems. Thanks for the info Skyhammer!
QUOTE(skyhammer @ Jun 14 2012, 12:43 PM)
There is nothing you can add to the truck to legally increase GVWR or payload. You are stuck with the drivers door sticker says.
There are things you can do to make the over weight truck handle the weight better, such as stable loads, air bags etc.
Weigh your truck,preferably with all the passengers and stuff.
Then look at your available GVWR, the difference between the two will tell you how much pay load you have.
That # will tell you how heavy a camper you can carry. Also subtract what the hitch weight of boat is and if you get a camper over 8', you will have subtract the weight of the hitch extension for the boat.
The actual pay load of your truck will certainly be less than what is on the sticker.
Weighing the truck will help avoid any surprises weight wise.

+Quote Post
aqualung
post Jun 16 2012, 09:19 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 3,725
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Adventurer 90FWS
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: Dodge 3500 Dually Quadcab 4x4 6.7L Cummins
Type of Tiedowns used: Torklift
Truck and Camper Setup: 2008 Adventurer 90FWS Torklift Tiedowns with SuperHitch and SuperTruss Firestone Air Bags Torklift Load Stabilizers Fastgun Turnbuckles

Ford's tend to have the most payload out of the three. I have a Ram3500 dually diesel and the diesel weighs a lot and it chews up quite a bit of my payload. Gas engines are lighter which would leave more room for payload in your truck.

Fully loaded with passengers and fuel I still have over 4000lbs left for the camper. I also tow an enclosed trailer with the toys in it which has about 400lbs of tongue load. My camper is 3000lbs dry and fully loaded with everything, I'm sitting 200lbs under my GVWR (full rig measured at the scales). So since your Ford most likley has more payload than my truck, you're most likely going to be fine with a similar camper as mine. One thing with campers is that slides add a lot of weight so I stayed away from slides when I chose my camper. You should figure on adding 800 to 1000lbs to the dry weight of the camper when its fully loaded.

Of course the best way to determine if you're Ok is to take the truck to the scales and get it measured, then there's no guessing on how much available payload you've got. Just make sure all the passengers are in the truck and that its full of fuel when you get it measured.

Here's a camper manufacturer that makes light weight campers:
http://www.livinlite.com/truck-campers.php
+Quote Post
Oregonizm
post Jun 24 2012, 11:54 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 5,113
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: Ford F450
Type of Tiedowns used: Fastguns
Truck and Camper Setup: F450, Host Everest triple slide, Torklift tiedowns, Torklift class V Superhitch w/ Supertruss

I second Skyhammer's reply .... A Host is way too heavy for a 350. Host has discontinued making everything except their Everest model and like all other manufacturers, they estimate the weight of their dry unit lower than the actual weight. My Everest weighs in at 5300-5500 pounds when we're ready to pull out of the driveway and it takes every bit of my 450 to lug it around. I strongly reccomend to NOT put a Host Everest on a 350.
+Quote Post
Mr. clean
post Jun 26 2012, 01:32 AM
Post #8

Member No.: 6,137
Favorite Truck Camper(s): none yet
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: lots of fords
Type of Tiedowns used: torklift with fastguns
Truck and Camper Setup: 2005 F-350 6.0l diesel DRW torklift frame mounted tiedowns super hitch with 36in extention air bags, stable lifts. on board air compressor 2008 Host Tahoe 10.5ft double slide pretty loaded

QUOTE(Oregonizm @ Jun 24 2012, 11:54 PM)
I second Skyhammer's reply .... A Host is way too heavy for a 350.  Host has discontinued  making everything except their Everest model and like all other manufacturers, they estimate the weight of their dry unit lower than the actual weight.  My Everest weighs in at 5300-5500 pounds when we're ready to pull out of the driveway and it takes every bit of my 450 to lug it around.  I strongly reccomend to NOT put a Host Everest on a 350.

Host still makes a few models they have a 10.5 ft double slide camper one goes out the back and one out the Dr side I think it is called Cascade. I believe they make a 9.5ft one too. They are factory direct because they no longer have any dealers left. If you need service you would have to take it back to them if it was something they were responsable for. But if it was for any other component take it anywhere that will do the warrenty work on it. I would avoid an older Host camper I have found the slide units less than reliable. I gave up with others tring to fix it and did it myself that includes two trips back to Host to fix it without success. Their new slides are much better units. The Everest camper or any triple slide camper will be too much camper for any truck less than an F-550 or simalar truck. The 10.5ft double slide I have is too heavy on my dually. I come in around 1000lbs over the GVW of the truck. I am still under the max axle weight ratings. I am think the gross on your truck is 13000lbs as well and if so you will be in the same ball park as I am with a similar camper. With just you and the wife the 10.5 camper is gonna be nice I like the sie of ours it is roomy with the slides out. We are a family of four and a small dog. Weigh your truck and go from there. Know what you have and dont take what the dealers say as too factual they want to sell campers. Weigh it after you get it and load it up just so you know what you are working with..it was a real susprise to me how much it really weighed.Good luck with your search hope you enjoy your new camper
+Quote Post
post Dec 21 2012, 05:54 AM
Post #9

Group:
Member No.: 0

Thanks for putting up such an informative post regarding various campers as, it will really be helpful or some one who is looking forward to buy it in near future as per his requirements.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
Sailor Dave
post Dec 21 2012, 11:43 AM
Post #10

Member No.: 6,005
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Arctic Fox
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: F350, Extended cab, 8 foot bed,DRW, 4X4, 6.2L, camper package
Type of Tiedowns used: Torklift with Fastguns
Truck and Camper Setup: Arctic Fox 1150, wet bath, solar

Marekli,

Skyhammer is right on. Load your truck with everything you plan on putting in the camper, passengers and pets and a full tank of fuel then get to a CAT scale and see how much load capacity you have left.

Remember also that the tiedowns and turmbuckles take up some weight. I did this myself and weighed out at 725 pounds for gear, tiedowns, turnbuckles, stable loads and rubber bed mat. Add another 335 for me and the little lady and its over 1000 pounds without the camper figured in.

Be very careful when you buy. Most of the time the tagged weight of the truck camper isnt the real dry weight because it does not include options like A/C, generator, storm or duel pane windows and such. If your buying used have the dealer show you a CAT scale weigh slip for the unit as well as for the curb weight of the truck it was loaded on. Better yet, load it on you own truck and weigh it before you sign on the dotted line.

And if your going to haul and tow you have to figure your CGVWR as well.

I've been researching the right camper for my F350 DRW truck for well over a year and just now making a final choice.

Its a bit of a learning curve but you owe it to yourself to be a fully informed consumer. You'll could find out that you know more about the camper than the sales rep.

D
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicTopic OptionsStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th May 2024 - 06:03 PM