Christucke
post Dec 16 2007, 03:54 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,810
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Host
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: F-250 King Ranch 4 x 4
Type of Tiedowns used: Fastguns
Truck and Camper Setup: F-250 4 x 4 Super Crew Cab, 8.5 Host McKinley fully loaded

I have just purchased a new Host camper. With my previous truck camper I was able to use a 18" receiver hitch extension but with the new camper it is too short by about 6". I have looked online but the maximum extension length I can find is 18". I am using the hitch for pulling a fishing boat. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance and Merry Christmas!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll
Replies(1 - 7)
Teej
post Dec 17 2007, 10:29 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 4

QUOTE(Christucke @ Dec 16 2007, 03:54 PM)
I have just purchased a new Host camper. With my previous truck camper I was able to use a 18" receiver hitch extension but with the new camper it is too short by about 6".  I have looked online but the maximum extension length I can find is 18". I am using the hitch for pulling a fishing boat. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance and Merry Christmas!

I would suggest getting a ball mount that is 12 or 13 inches long to make up the difference. Just remember you will be reducing your hitch towing capacity by about 45 %.
+Quote Post
JerryC
post Dec 17 2007, 09:27 PM
Post #3

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 2,809

Congratulatons on the new Host. I hope you have many wonderful times in it.
+Quote Post
henrys103
post Aug 23 2008, 10:15 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 2,932
Favorite Truck Camper(s): northstar
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: silverado 2500
Type of Tiedowns used: happijack
Truck and Camper Setup: too much to list

I have just purchased a new Host camper. With my previous truck camper I was able to use a 18" receiver hitch extension but with the new camper it is too short by about 6".  I have looked online but the maximum extension length I can find is 18". I am using the hitch for pulling a fishing boat. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance and Merry Christmas!

No matter how heavy the metal is on the extension from, or how it's configured, there will always be some degree of bounce, if the bounce gets too bad, like when you run over a pot hole, the extension will eventually fatigue and is likely fail at some point. You're better off having the trailer tongue extended the extra length. I had the same problem with my motorcycle trailer, I ended up rewelding a longer tongue on the trailer, with heavier gage metal of course. It works just fine
+Quote Post
durakolt
post Jan 7 2009, 12:10 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 2,968
Favorite Truck Camper(s): lance
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: chevy 2500 longbed crew duramax
Type of Tiedowns used: happijac
Truck and Camper Setup: lance, happijac airbags

i used the titan class 5 hitch with a 24" titan extension for many years pulling a 21 ft. sanger wakeboarding boat with out any problems.
+Quote Post
larryjj
post Sep 29 2009, 07:01 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 2,911
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Bigfoot
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: F - 350
Type of Tiedowns used: Happijac
Truck and Camper Setup: F350. Bigfoot camper c/w happijacs

I have the same situation with the 30 inch over hang of my camper past the bumper. I agree, get the tongue extended.
+Quote Post
aqualung
post Feb 5 2010, 08:44 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 3,725
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Adventurer 90FWS
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: Dodge 3500 Dually Quadcab 4x4 6.7L Cummins
Type of Tiedowns used: Torklift
Truck and Camper Setup: 2008 Adventurer 90FWS Torklift Tiedowns with SuperHitch and SuperTruss Firestone Air Bags Torklift Load Stabilizers Fastgun Turnbuckles

Use the Torklift SuperHitch with SuperTruss hitch extensions. These come in lengths upto 60". They're not like the Reese extension where its one tube of steel, the SuperTruss is just that, a truss. This gives them great strength to avoid bouncing and meal fatigue. You do need the SuperHitch to go with it. Once you have the SuperHitch then adding the Torklift tiedowns is easy (the rear tie downs bolt right onto the hitch).
+Quote Post
drjay
post Oct 9 2010, 08:07 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 4,845
Favorite Truck Camper(s): okanagan
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: 2008 dodge quad cab 3500 sb srw
Type of Tiedowns used: torklift front happijac rear
Truck and Camper Setup: ram 3500, super sway stops, timbren rubber overloads, bilstein shocks, curt industrial class v underneat oem hitch with okanagan 90 w

I realize this is a little late but just put a curt industrial hitch #15607 on my dodge that mounts under my oem receiver cost $196 with free shipping. I then went to a welding shop got 5 feet of 2.5x2.5x3/8 tubing 5 feet of 2x2x3/8 tubing, a 2 inch receiver tube, and had a buddy weld it all togethor. I mimicked the superhitch setup by using both oem and curt receiver hitchs and making my own truss extension using thicker steel than superhitch on the truss part. I've got a grand total of $300 dollars into the set up. My truss sticking out of my receiver is 4 feet long, and I have a good piece of mind that my 21 foot sea doo is safe. I just couldn't justify $900 on a hitch setup. Just my 2 cents.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicTopic OptionsStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 09:54 AM