post Jan 28 2012, 12:00 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,825
Favorite Truck Camper(s): chevy
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: Chevy silverado
Type of Tiedowns used: none
Truck and Camper Setup: 1500 silverado stk

Hey guys i have a 2003 silverado 1500 ext cab 6.5' box , Im looking at getting a slide in camper for it . Im not sure what size i can put in it . as far as weight im going to beef up the suspension and install air bags , and im running 8ply tires. Any help pics or anything would be great. smile.gif
Thanks
Doug
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
elkhornsun
post Jan 28 2012, 09:23 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 5,741
Favorite Truck Camper(s): no favorite
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: Chevy 2500HD SRW Diesel
Type of Tiedowns used: undecided
Truck and Camper Setup: Chevy 2011 2500HD diesel with short bed. Plan to add Supersprings and air bags and Big Wig anti sway bar.

Almost any popup camper will work with your truck. Most campers sold today will be too heavy. Inside your truck's glove box there should be a sticker with the maximum payload rating for your truck (engine, drive train, suspension, axles, etc.) and this weight includes the camper, each passenger, water, fuel, and everything else.

If you have a max payload of 2000 lbs. then look for a 1000 lbs. dry weight camper. There are campers made for the 1/2 ton US trucks and for the Toyota Tacoma and Nissan trucks but there will be far fewer on the used market.
+Quote Post
Dave D.
post Feb 4 2012, 12:37 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 5,037
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Looking for Pop-up
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: 2011 Silverado WT 1/2 ton
Type of Tiedowns used: none yet
Truck and Camper Setup: Still shopping

How many passengers would you be taking. My Regular Cab 1/2 ton Silverado is rated for 1250 lbs of cargo (1,800 payload). Ext cab likely rated closer to 1000 lbs. Cargo. This means if you also have 1800 lb payload, you need to subtract gas 200lbs + 500 lbs passengers + options if you have electric windows etc.

A small 7 foot popup might work for you. They are rare though. I had one on a Dodge Dakota with just one extra leaf spring. No issues.
+Quote Post
Double"D"
post Feb 6 2012, 09:56 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 5,825
Favorite Truck Camper(s): chevy
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: Chevy silverado
Type of Tiedowns used: none
Truck and Camper Setup: 1500 silverado stk

QUOTE(Dave D. @ Feb 4 2012, 01:37 AM)
How many passengers would you be taking. My Regular Cab 1/2 ton Silverado is rated for 1250 lbs of cargo (1,800 payload).  Ext cab likely rated closer to 1000 lbs.  Cargo.  This means if you also have 1800 lb payload, you need to subtract gas 200lbs + 500 lbs passengers + options if you have electric windows etc. 

A small 7 foot popup might work for you.  They are rare though.  I had one on a Dodge Dakota with just one extra leaf spring.  No issues.

Cant find any sticker in the glove box , just the one on the door lists 6000kg 3000kg and 3600kg ?????? wink.gif most times just me my young lad and our hunting gear.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicTopic OptionsStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th April 2024 - 07:56 PM