> hard sided pop up TC, hard sided pop up TC

Beatrice
post Oct 4 2015, 10:33 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,373
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Camplite
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: F150 extended cab long bed heavy duty payload
Type of Tiedowns used: don't know yet...
Truck and Camper Setup: I'm here to learn so I don't have a set up yet.

OK, I will try again but there doesn't seem to be any action at all on this forum. Is there a hard sided on-truck (in the bed) truck camper out there other than Alaskan, which I already am familiar with? I'm looking for a light weight, low profile pop up that is all hard materials, preferably fiberglass or metal. No canvas etc. Anybody?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll
Replies
DWJoyce
post Nov 24 2017, 12:24 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 9,537
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Lance
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: '66 Chevy K10
Type of Tiedowns used: Don't know
Truck and Camper Setup: 8' cabover with helper strings on the rear of the truck. In the process of rebuilding an old camper with rotten floors and a leaking roof. Will add a toilet and shower and replace the icebox with a refrigerator.

QUOTE(Beatrice @ Oct 4 2015, 10:33 AM)
OK, I will try again but there doesn't seem to be any action at all on this forum. Is there a hard sided on-truck (in the bed) truck camper out there other than Alaskan, which I already am familiar with? I'm looking for a light weight, low profile pop up that is all hard materials, preferably fiberglass or metal. No canvas etc. Anybody?

Why is a popup important? Some old 80's cabovers only weight around 1500 pounds wet. More air resistance than a popup and taller of course, but nice and light.

If you found one, you would probably need to make repairs, which you could use as an opportunity to customize it to your tastes. Mine was extreme, but free. It required a complete rebuild using the original siding and windows. It now has winter-capable insulation, a double sink, stove, microwave, fridge, modern lighting (LED) and hookups, shower, and a sofa that converts into a desk. Enough water and propane for several days of boondocking too. A lot of work, but just what I wanted.

+Quote Post
SidecarFlip
post Nov 24 2017, 08:25 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 9,221
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Forest River Palomino SS
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: 1997 Ford F350 4x4 LB SRW CC 7.3 diesel
Type of Tiedowns used: HappyJac standard
Truck and Camper Setup: 1997 Ford F350 4 door 4x4 Crew Cab 7.3 Diesel, Lance 915 loaded, 2015 Palomino SS1500 Loaded

QUOTE(DWJoyce @ Nov 24 2017, 12:24 AM)
Why is a popup important? Some old 80's cabovers only weight around 1500 pounds wet. More air resistance than a popup and taller of course, but nice and light.

If you found one, you would probably need to make repairs, which you could use as an opportunity to customize it to your tastes. Mine was extreme, but free. It required a complete rebuild using the original siding and windows. It now has winter-capable insulation, a double sink, stove, microwave, fridge, modern lighting (LED) and hookups, shower, and a sofa that converts into a desk. Enough water and propane for several days of boondocking too. A lot of work, but just what I wanted.

With me at least, I went the other way from a Lance Hardside to a Palomino pop up. Why? Because of overhead clearance. A tall hardside cannot negotiate the north woods on unimproved roads. The tree limbs would destroy the camper in short order.... and I can now park the outfit in my garage in the winter a huge plus.

Outdoor storage of any RV is detrimental to it's lifespan, don't care if it's tarped up or not. My unit will look as good as new in 10 years as it did when I bought it because it stays indoors when not in use.... and...

I sure don't miss the weight of the Lance nor the wind resistance or the handling in cross winds. I do miss the illusion of security a hardside offers but it is an illusion, not a fact. Mine is a hardsode except for 2 feet and the roof is a hard roof. That collapsable 2 feet makes a world of difference when toting it around.

I have on again, off again pondered an Alaskan but I'll probably never get one due to the cost.
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicTopic OptionsStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th April 2024 - 05:06 AM