post Dec 27 2009, 07:17 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,595
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Newbie Looking
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: '06 Dodge 1500 Crew Cab 4x4
Type of Tiedowns used: none
Truck and Camper Setup: Super Springs

I just joined this forum because of your apparent tolerance for Newbies and our never-ending questions.... With that in mind, I am interested in getting some type of pop up slide-in for my 1500 Ram shortbed crew cab.

I understand the gcwr/gvwr issues but am still concerned about setting the truck up right given that I intend to sometimes tow a 3500# boat.

I like the idea of having a wet bath and a/c and am curious as to what suggestions you all might have for me. I'm trying not to have to purchase a 3/4 ton truck as I have only 9500 miles on my truck and will likely lose my butt selling/trading it. For what it's worth, I really like the Northstar 850SC but again, am concerned about pushing my limits! Thanks!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
mjfgeology
post Dec 29 2009, 05:24 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 3,441
Favorite Truck Camper(s): coachman 9'
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: F-150 base truck
Type of Tiedowns used: custom
Truck and Camper Setup: F-150 V-6 Regular Cab With Airbags and modified stake pocket tiedowns run a coachman 8.5 sportsman hydro-pro

I can tell you from experince that there is some wiggle room with the payload capacity. I run a hard side 9 ft camper on my F150, but you need to know how much your truck really weights, by taking it to a truck scale. My truck is a basic work truck with a V6 auto with the same suspension as the other loaded up V8 versions. With the camper loaded, it sits leavel without adding air the the firestone airbags. The manufactor just does't want to admit that the base model can carry more than any other version of this truck except the Heavy Duty package. But if your truck is loaded down with a bunch of extra options than the payload goes down. Now these slide in pop-ups are made for the 1/2 ton trucks so with the proper airbags you would probably have no problem. But dont exceed the axle rating, which if you add them together will much greater than the GVW. They rate these trucks very conservitivly, because they know that the maxinum payload will likely be the starting point rather than the limit for some owners. Do what I did and; when you look at these campers ask the sales people to put it in the back of your truck so there is no guess work. You will be able to know rightaway if things will work. We put one on my truck that said it was 1875 Ibs. and it really was closer to 3000 Ibs, and imediatly clear that it wouldn't work.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
pjviitas
post Jul 2 2010, 02:21 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 4,429
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Adventurer
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: Ford F-150
Type of Tiedowns used: None
Truck and Camper Setup: None yet

QUOTE(ksc8850 @ Dec 27 2009, 05:17 PM)
I just joined this forum because of your apparent tolerance for Newbies and our never-ending questions....  With that in mind, I am interested in getting some type of pop up slide-in for my 1500 Ram shortbed crew cab. 

I understand the gcwr/gvwr issues but am still concerned about setting the truck up right given that I intend to sometimes tow a 3500# boat. 

I like the idea of having a wet bath and a/c and am curious as to what suggestions you all might have for me.  I'm trying not to have to purchase a 3/4 ton truck as I have only 9500 miles on my truck and will likely lose my butt selling/trading it.  For what it's worth, I really like the Northstar 850SC but again, am concerned about pushing my limits!  Thanks!

Just sent this e-mail out and will quote part of it here.

"I have spent quite a bit of time researching truck campers and have concluded that Four Wheel Campers makes the best truck camper for a Ford F-150with a GVWR of 6950lbs.

The lighest hard-side camper I can find is an Adventurer 80SK with a Dry Weight of 1360lbs. (The base unit is 1276lbs but you won't find a dealer that stocks a base unit). Loaded up I would be looking at the following numbers:
Truck Curb Weight 5043
Remove Tailgate -50
Driver&Passenger 375
Boat Trailer Tongue Weight 75
Camper Dry Weight 1360
Remove Jacks -100
Water 125
Propane 20
Battery 65
Total 6913lbs
Which leaves 37lbs for food, gear or beer. So rolling down the highway this camper would essentially void my trucks warranty and probably put me into hot water with ICBC if an accident did happen.

Looking at a Four Wheel Campers Grandby optioned the way I like it would give a Dry Weight of 1011lbs. Loaded up I would be looking at the following numbers:
Truck Curb Weight 5043
Remove Tailgate -50
Driver&Passenger 375
Boat Trailer Tongue Weight 75
Camper Dry Weight 1011
Remove Jacks-100
Water 184
Propane 20
Battery 65
Total 6623lbs
Which leaves 327lbs for food, gear or beer. So rolling down the highway this camper would be nominal.

Depending on who you talk to some may say it is ok to overload a pick-up truck by 300lbs and they may be right in the case of a 3/4 ton or a 1 ton however, the semi-floating rear end of a 1/2 ton should NEVER be overloaded because it has a load bearing drive axle.

So why don't I go out and buy a 3/4 ton? Becauase they are expensive and they are hard on fuel."

Hope this helps.

Best Regards, Hedghog
+Quote Post
mitchelj00
post Nov 10 2010, 01:18 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 4,953
Favorite Truck Camper(s): adventure
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: F-350 Dually 4x4 Ford Crew Cab
Type of Tiedowns used: Happijac, Happijac with Qwik-Loads, Torklift, Torklift with Fastguns, Custom, None, etc.
Truck and Camper Setup: jovial

Hi all,

The manufactor just does't want to admit that the base model can carry more than any other version of this truck except the Heavy Duty package. But if your truck is loaded down with a bunch of extra options than the payload goes down. Now these slide in pop-ups are made for the 1/2 ton trucks so with the proper airbags you would probably have no problem. But dont exceed the axle rating, which if you add them together will much greater than the GVW.

Budget Hotels In kanyakumari | Kanyakumari Budget Accommodation | Kanyakumari Tourism
+Quote Post
Dave D.
post Nov 25 2010, 09:01 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 5,037
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Looking for Pop-up
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: 2011 Silverado WT 1/2 ton
Type of Tiedowns used: none yet
Truck and Camper Setup: Still shopping

Usually payload specs are for the bare bones model. IE they will tell you the payload is 1,500 lbs. They don't tell you how much the options weight. My 2011 silverado, much like some campers actually states the weight carrying capacity factoring in options on the door post. Even my bare bones (no power windows etc, comes in below the 1800 lb payload by about 50lbs. So someone who buys a 1/2ton extended cab loaded, may only have a 1400 lb payload. I like the comment about the rear axle carrying the weight. Actually a lot of 3/4 Ton trucks also have semi-floating rear axles. You need to look for a big hub protruding out of the centre of the rear axle to be sure. What this means is that there is a set of bearings supporting the load, not an axle stub hanging out past a single bearing.

So having said all that, its still fairly rare to have a axle break (not including a c-clip failure where the hole tire and axle go south.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicTopic OptionsStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th April 2024 - 05:28 PM