post Sep 1 2009, 02:02 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,311
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Lance
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: F250 diesel crew cab
Type of Tiedowns used: NA
Truck and Camper Setup: Lance 971

I am getting ready to trade up for a Lance 971. This is the 9'-11" model with dry bath. Marketing material states this requires a long bed truck.

I currently have a F-250 diesel crew cab short bed, and have 2 questions.

1. Is it possible to load and transport this camper on my short bed just to transport it home since it was designed for a long bed. Most dealers we found are several states away. I am asking because we have found some good deals on the 971 that we want, but may be some time before we can trade up to a long bed for permanent installation of camper.

2. Since I am also going to upgrade to a long bed truck, I have concerns that this 3,400 pound trailer may be top-heavy for a single rear wheel 250, so does this mean I need to shop for a dully rear wheels?

3. Since I may end up with the camper before the truck upgrade, do most dealers include the truck prep in price or is this extra. Since I may need to "ship" the camper or transport with a different truck, will any local dealer prep the new truck for this camper.

Thanks,
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Dan-O
post Sep 2 2009, 03:02 PM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,321
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Lance
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: Silverado 2500HD Duramax 4X4
Type of Tiedowns used: Happijac w/ turnbuckles
Truck and Camper Setup: 2005 truck w/ 1986 Lance 840 / 9.6 (camper was a freebie). No airbags needed. I may do that in the future. The truck handles fine. Will be using happijack brackets and turn buckles.

QUOTE(Capt_Midnight @ Sep 1 2009, 12:02 PM)
I am getting ready to trade up for a Lance 971.  This is the 9'-11" model with dry bath.  Marketing material states this requires a long bed truck.

I currently have a F-250 diesel crew cab short bed, and have 2 questions.

1.  Is it possible to load and transport this camper on my short bed just to transport it home since it was designed for a long bed.  Most dealers we found are several states away.   I am asking because we have found some good deals on the 971 that we want, but may be some time before we can trade up to a long bed for permanent installation of camper.

2.  Since I am also going to upgrade to a long bed truck, I have concerns that this 3,400 pound trailer may be top-heavy for a single rear wheel 250, so does this mean I need to shop for a dully rear wheels?    

3. Since I may end up with the camper before the truck upgrade, do most dealers include the truck prep in price or is this extra.  Since I may need to "ship" the camper or transport with a different truck, will any local dealer prep the new truck for this camper.
Thanks,

I am new to the truck campers. I was recently given a 1986 840 / 9.6 Lance camper. This one is made for a longbed. My truck is a 2005 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4X4 with the Duramax. It is all stock and has the standard bed. I do not have air bags or any suspension upgrades. I have only moved it once from A to B. The roads were narrow and windy. My truck handled fine and sat level and there was no bottoming out. This camper sticks out a couple feet extra but presents no real problems. The front tie downs should be the same but the rear ones will be what you will have to look at. As for towing with it, I can't realy say. I would have to go with the airbags at that point just for general purpose. the duallys will make a difference. I am not sure if you will have to do that or not. I hope this helps. Best of luck to ya!

--------------------
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicTopic OptionsStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th April 2024 - 12:23 AM