Bisinc
post Jun 23 2008, 08:03 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,899
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Lance
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: 2001 Silverado 2500HD Ext 4X4
Type of Tiedowns used: Happijac
Truck and Camper Setup: Thats what I'm signing up for - haven't decided and need some advice.

I'm new to this site and could use some advise. I have a 2001 Chevy 2500HD Ext cab 4X4 with a 6.5' box. My camper is a '98 Squirelite 186 with a dry wt of 1941 lbs. I bought the 2500 HD because I thought it was a heavy duty 3/4 ton pickup but I've come to find out that not all 2500 HD (from '01 - '05 anyway) have the same payload capacity. the '01 has a payload capacity of 3,092 lbs (vs. 3764 lbs for the '05) but they both have the same frame and GVWR of 9200 lbs. If they have the same GVWR and essentially the same front and rear GAWR is the difference in suspension or something else? Even more confusing the the Truck Camper load sticker in the glove box says not to exceed 2,024 lbs including passengers. Whats up with that? I'd have to loose weight AND leave my wife home. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
LindaH
post Jun 24 2008, 02:23 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 2,829
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Eagle Cap
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: 2007 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually (Cummins engine)
Type of Tiedowns used: Torklift w/Fastguns
Truck and Camper Setup: Eagle Cap 950, 2 100-watt solar panels, 2 6-volt AGM batteries, 1000-watt pure sine wave inverter, Motosat Executive satellite TV dish, Torklift 5-step Glow Steps.

Since you already have both the truck and the camper, why not load the camper onto the truck and take it down to the local scales and get it weighed?

Be sure the truck has a full tank of fuel and all the people and gear in the truck that will normally be on a camping trip. I'd also be want to have a full fresh water tank and full propane tanks on the camper. Or, alternatively, just have full propane tanks and an empty fresh water tank. Depending on what your weights come out to be, you can calculate how much water you can carry once you've loaded all your supplies into the camper (water weights approximately 8.3# per gallon).

Be sure to weigh each axle separately and then compare to the GAWRs.
+Quote Post
Bisinc
post Jun 25 2008, 09:40 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 2,899
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Lance
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: 2001 Silverado 2500HD Ext 4X4
Type of Tiedowns used: Happijac
Truck and Camper Setup: Thats what I'm signing up for - haven't decided and need some advice.

I'll do that although I'm afraid of what I'll find out. But still - any idea why the Truck Camper load sticker in the glove box doesn't jive with the payload capacity rating? Just curious - when I do the GVWR calculation - GVWR - curb wt of truck - wt of camper and accessories I'm fine. going off the sticker I'm screwed. If I have to replace the camper with a lighter one I will - don't want to push it.

QUOTE(LindaH @ Jun 24 2008, 08:23 PM)
Since you already have both the truck and the camper, why not load the camper onto the truck and take it down to the local scales and get it weighed? 

Be sure the truck has a full tank of fuel and all the people and gear in the truck that will normally be on a camping trip.  I'd also be want to have a full fresh water tank and full propane tanks on the camper.  Or, alternatively, just have full propane tanks and an empty fresh water tank.  Depending on what your weights come out to be, you can calculate how much water you can carry once you've loaded all your supplies into the camper (water weights approximately 8.3# per gallon).

Be sure to weigh each axle separately and then compare to the GAWRs.

+Quote Post
LindaH
post Jun 25 2008, 12:36 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 2,829
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Eagle Cap
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: 2007 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually (Cummins engine)
Type of Tiedowns used: Torklift w/Fastguns
Truck and Camper Setup: Eagle Cap 950, 2 100-watt solar panels, 2 6-volt AGM batteries, 1000-watt pure sine wave inverter, Motosat Executive satellite TV dish, Torklift 5-step Glow Steps.

QUOTE(Bisinc @ Jun 25 2008, 08:40 AM)
any idea why the Truck Camper load sticker in the glove box doesn't jive with the payload capacity rating?

Payload capacity rating is for a basic vehicle with no options, no gear, and only one 150# driver. And I don't think it includes a full tank of fuel, although I'm not absolutely sure about that since I've never been able to determine definitively whether or not that is true. Perhaps the sticker in the glove compartment is for the payload capacity for THAT truck based on how it's equipped. However, more than a 1,000# difference between the two figures seems a bit much, so I don't really have a good answer for you.

The only way you're going to know how you stand, weight-wise, is to get the combination weighed.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicTopic OptionsStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th April 2024 - 09:15 PM