flydog
post Dec 16 2007, 09:35 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,811
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Lance
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: Ford F350 4 x 4 extra cab
Type of Tiedowns used: Happijac
Truck and Camper Setup: F-350 4 x 4 Firestone load leveler air bag, Happi jack Lance 8 20

Hi folks.

I'm new to the site, found you while browsing around to look for a new rig. Here's my story. Three months ago I was driving up the interstate in my rig, a Ford single rear axle 4 x 4 carrying a Lance 8'10" camper. Everything was fine, tires had been checked 200 miles ago, road was dry, conditions excellent and traveling at 65mph on a 70 mph speedlimit road. Tire were 10 ply inflated to 80 lbs. BAM passenger side rear tire blew out and within ten seconds the rig had fishtailed into the center median gravel swale and rolled. Most fortunately I was traveling alone and belted in and while everything was totalled, I walked away with a small lump on my head and a few scrapes. Insurance has finally settled and I'm in the market for a new rig. The Lance suited my wife and my lifde style just fine. We;re usually dry camping out in the woods or on a beach or river bank, rarely in an organized campground and like the mobility, but I'm a bit freaky about getting back into a truck camper. I wonder what folks think about the "top heavy" problem. Do rollovers happen with much frequency? Is a dually likely to be any safer?
All thoughts and comments appreciated.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
JerryC
post Dec 17 2007, 09:19 PM
Post #2

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 2,809

Wow! That sure does sound scary. I am glad you were not hurt. I have not heard about truck campers being involved in roll overs often. I have not had a TC on a single wheel truck but it apprears that a dual wheel truck would be more stable side to side. I have a Dodge 3500 dual wheel with a Lance 1181 and it handles well. We have put about 32,000 miles on it since we got it in 2005. On the air pressure in your tires, seems that 80 lbs is too much for a 10 ply tire. I have 12 ply and that is the max pressure on the ones that I have.
By the way, welcome to the forum... Jerry
+Quote Post
natesnanu
post Jan 5 2008, 03:44 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 2,817
Favorite Truck Camper(s): usedtobe lance
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: chev 4X4 dually
Type of Tiedowns used: happijac
Truck and Camper Setup: 05 Chev 4X4 4 door dually w/ duramax + Allison. I carry a Lance 835 (that I fix leaks on every year) w/ happijac's and tow either an 18 foot boat or a tandem jet ski setup. My boat and jet ski trailer are set up to carry a 3500 watt generator... Best thing I ever did.

I have done it both ways and to be completly honest, I liked my Dodge single wheel better than my Chevy dually for carrying the camper. BUT!!! I had to replace my Dodge's transmission four times in four years and when I got rid of it, it had 41000 miles on it. They really are a crap tuck in my opinion. My travel partner uses a Ford Superduty dually and loves it but replaces brakes evry season. Better than transmissions. Toyota is supposed to be coming out with a heavy duty truck. I really want to see what it has to offer.
+Quote Post
garbinator
post Feb 11 2008, 05:49 PM
Post #4

Productive Consumer

Member No.: 2,832
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: 3500 GMC Dually 4X4 Crew Cab DuraMax w/6sp variable Allison
Type of Tiedowns used: Happijac, Altec power jacks
Truck and Camper Setup: Lance Legend 990 fully loaded series, Electric Jacks, Air Bags, heavy duty torsion bar, Titan extend-a-hitch, .357 Mag Marlin Lever Action (Cowboy rifle) for camper defense. Bose Acoustic Wave Machine to Ez the nights away...

Hi folks.

I'm new to the site, found you while browsing around to look for a new rig. Here's my story. Three months ago I was driving up the interstate in my rig, a Ford single rear axle 4 x 4 carrying a Lance 8'10" camper. Everything was fine, tires had been checked 200 miles ago, road was dry, conditions excellent and traveling at 65mph on a 70 mph speedlimit road. Tire were 10 ply inflated to 80 lbs.

This is but only my opinion, having tires inflated to the stated maximum on the sidewall is under maximum load conditions. Triple A Good Sam (?) has an inflation guide based on tire size and load weight. I on the other hand run mine about 10 lbs under the stated maximum psi. It has been through trial and error and road feel. You see most California highways are pot-holed so bad having a tire maxed out in air pressure is well, sorta like driving on the old solid rubber tires 1918 era. Bounce bam wham! Anotherwards, no give, no flex, just solid no give no flex. And yet, modern tire design is exactly that! To be able to flex, give, requires less air. Also remember an impact against a tire at full capacity of air will most assuredly leave a bruise which automatically makes for a weak spot to develop in the tire. Of course there is also stability issues to contend with as well. But, I run a lance on a dual wheeled truck with front and rear heavy duty sway bar along with air bags on the rear axels. Of course there are those who say my running lower air pressures will result in lower gas mileage. I believe it up to the operator driver to determine which is best, run high inflations, vibrate everything inside the camper including your fillings in your teeth, risking a serious blow-out eventually? Or, a bit smother…

BAM passenger side rear tire blew out and within ten seconds the rig had fishtailed into the center median gravel swale and rolled.

The only incident I ever experienced I lost my outside rear tire. It destroyed my fender but I was never in danger of losing control. At the time I was running all 6 tires 5lbs maximum tire pressure.

Most fortunately I was traveling alone and belted in and while everything was totalled, I walked away with a small lump on my head and a few scrapes. Insurance has finally settled and I'm in the market for a new rig.

I experience many who wish to haul Lances with only a single rear wheel truck. I can understand this line of thinking, because when the camper is off it would be better driving a truck around without “Hips” sticking out! However, I will say this, once loaded down and happy jack secured, properly equipped, there in simply nothing better to assure confident handling on twisty even gnarly hairpin forest service 10mph roads. Bar none. Same goes for the 60mph freeway curves with cross winds. Keep in mind most older Dual rear wheel trucks DO NOT came equipped with a REAR anti-sway bar. You have to add it along with the air bags.

The Lance suited my wife and my lifde style just fine. We;re usually dry camping out in the woods or on a beach or river bank, rarely in an organized campground and like the mobility, but I'm a bit freaky about getting back into a truck camper.

[COLOR=blue]I feel for you there, for sure. But, again I have done this both ways. Just as you have begun only in a very scary not so easy to forget event. I started out with a single, then eventually went to dual wheels. Again, when “totally properly equipped” the dual wheel truck will have you smiling all the way there and back.

I wonder what folks think about the "top heavy" problem. Do rollovers happen with much frequency? Is a dually likely to be any safer?

Sure it happens. It almost happened to me on several occasions. Just because I thought I was being smarter trying to save a few bucks I had a single wheel ¾ ton upgraded to a one ton suspension. I was assured by the dealer that that truck would MORE than meet my needs…

NOT! Huumm, remember those 55 mph highway curves I mentioned above? Yeah!?! Well, approaching 60 was dang near suicide. 55 in a cross wind scary to outright frightening!

All thoughts and comments appreciated.

Now ya got mine, hope it helped.
+Quote Post
kcabpilot
post Apr 1 2008, 04:03 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 2,859
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: F-350
Type of Tiedowns used: std
Truck and Camper Setup: F-350 Lance 990

We hauled our 3400 pound Lance 990 around on a '78 F-250 for over ten years. I had Air Springs and really big tires (33x12.50) and it always felt safe but I always, in the back of my mind, wondered how it would handle a total blow out of a rear tire. Eventually the old F-250 got really tired, it has close to 400,000 miles on it, so I just bought a new (old) truck. It's a '97 F-350 dually which I think is better suited for a large camper like that. I haven't had the camper on it yet - need to get jack swing outs because the fenders are 96 inches wide and the jacks are only 91 inches apart but I'm looking forward to taking it on a shakedown cruise within the next couple of weeks.
+Quote Post
akasurf14
post Oct 15 2010, 02:10 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 4,777
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Palomino, Travel-Lite
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: Dodge 3500 Cummins Powered
Type of Tiedowns used: None at this time
Truck and Camper Setup: I the process of looking for a camper.

QUOTE(natesnanu @ Jan 5 2008, 03:44 PM)
I have done it both ways and to be completly honest, I liked my Dodge single wheel better than my Chevy dually for carrying the camper. BUT!!! I had to replace my Dodge's transmission four times in four years and when I got rid of it, it had 41000 miles on it. They really are a crap tuck in my opinion. My travel partner uses a Ford Superduty dually and loves it but replaces brakes evry season. Better than transmissions. Toyota is supposed to be coming out with a heavy duty truck. I really want to see what it has to offer.

I don't know what year Dodge you had, but I have an 03' with the 48RE trans and It has 127,000+ miles on it. Have had recent oil sample done to see how the it is wearing. The report was that it is wearing a normal level. Since Dodge came out with the 48RE series trans they have been very dependable! If you talk to any Transmission Rebuilder they will telll you that the Dodge trans is the easiest trans to rebuild! And it can be built to withstand anything you want to pull. I would rather worry about replaceing or rebuilding a trany than an Engine like most Ford owners of recent years have had to do! The Dodge truck for my money is far better then the Ford or GMC's. If you have the Cummins engine in your truck how can you go wrong! Far out performs the Ford or Chevy/GMC by hundreds of Miles! You can keep those PowerJoks and Aluminum Headed Duramax engines! Give me the Cummins any day. I don't care who makes the truck! I tell people that if you want to see what the 5.9 and 6.7 Cummins engine is used for, go to the Cummins website. It will quickly apparent that they do duty that neither the Powerstroke or Duramax could never handle! It you live in the Dakotas, Dodge trucks are the norm, I wonder why that is? It is because people in that part of country depend on something that is Dependable! And 85% of those trucks are Diesel. I am sorry if some of you think I am being pissy, but I get tired of hearing that Dodge's are crap, when that could not be further from the truth. Visit TDR website and talk to the people own and depend on there Dodge's daily. And I can tell you none of them would drive a Powerstrok or Duramax just because they need to depend on there trucks to places that most of use neve go. ohmy.gif
+Quote Post
jmofaustin
post Sep 3 2011, 07:11 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 5,598
Favorite Truck Camper(s): none yet
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: 2000 f-350 Dually crew cab
Type of Tiedowns used: happijac tie downs
Truck and Camper Setup: 2000 Fleetwood Caribou 11L on a 2000 Ford F-350 with timbren-m-41.html">Timbren springs, happijac tiedowns, Torklift Super hitch with 42" extension

We also had a blow out on our rear tire while driving 75mph down the highway, luckily we have a ford f-350 dually, so no other issues besides fender damage. We were all safe, we were even able to drive it to the nearest tire place for a replacement. Personally, I would never carry our 12' camper on anything but a dually.
+Quote Post
Dave D.
post Sep 9 2011, 12:10 AM
Post #8

Member No.: 5,037
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Looking for Pop-up
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: 2011 Silverado WT 1/2 ton
Type of Tiedowns used: none yet
Truck and Camper Setup: Still shopping

I had a front blow out once with an 88Chev C2500. It happened almost exactly 10,000 km after hitting a pot hole that broke the window in the cabover section of the TC. Unknown at the time, it was a ticking time bomb. When it blew, only the two beads kept the tire on the rim. It took two lanes (thank god for a divided hwy with two lanes in each direction.) to regain control. My camper was only an 8 footer and well under GVWR. Whats great about my (too much talk about Dodge and Ford) 2011 Silverado is that it comes with tire monitors so it will tell you if a tire is getting low which would cause heat build up and possible failure.

Age of tires is also important. Check the sidewall. A number like 2208 circled means the tire was made the 22 week of 2008. If your tires are more then 6 years old, I would be weary to run them at full weight rating.
+Quote Post
Campingguy
post Feb 26 2012, 09:33 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 5,904
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Six-Pac
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: 1984 1.25 Ton Army Chevy (CUCV) 6.2L Diesel and 2007 GMC Dually Crewcab 4X4 Duramax Diesel
Type of Tiedowns used: Happijac
Truck and Camper Setup: 1984 Army Chevy (CUCV) shelter carrier with Gear Vendors overdrive, Banks Sidewinder turbo, KYB Monomax shocks and 1989 Six-Pac 8.5 Foot with multiple upgrades and updates such as EPDM Rubber Roof and upgraded power inverter/battery charger.

QUOTE(Dave D. @ Sep 9 2011, 12:10 AM)
I had a front blow out once with an 88Chev C2500. It happened almost exactly 10,000 km after hitting a pot hole that broke the window in the cabover section of the TC.  Unknown at the time, it was a ticking time bomb.  When it blew, only the two beads kept the tire on the rim.   It took two lanes (thank god for a divided hwy with two lanes in each direction.) to regain control.   My camper was only an 8 footer and well under GVWR.  Whats great about my (too much talk about Dodge and Ford) 2011 Silverado is that it comes with tire monitors so it will tell  you if a tire is getting low which would cause heat build up and possible failure.

Age of tires is also important.  Check the sidewall.    A number like  2208 circled means the tire was made the 22 week of 2008.  If your tires are more then 6 years old, I would be weary to run them at full weight rating.

Dave- You hit the nail on the head with your comment on tire age and it can't be overstressed. I worked in the commercial retread business for a couple of years and was amazed to see the ancient casings some companies used to retread. Due to new laws and liabilities you don't see that anymore and I don't think those old fly-by-night retreaders are even around. Tires need to be checked every time you refuel at a minimum. I look at inflation and wear. Most people running campers or other heavy loads only run their tires about 5 or 6 years and then change them out. They say that a tire that has been run properly inflated and hasn't suffered any damage is good for up to 10 years but I sure wouldn't gamble my life and rig on it. I do 5 years on mine. Age and heat are tires biggest enemies and any added heat artificially ages the tire and shortens the tire life. Underinflation, heavy loads, higher speeds, even alignment all increase heat. I used to have a chart that showed how much tire temperature increases as speed increases and another that showed how heat increased as tire pressure dropped and it was surprising. They also say to keep your better tires on the rear since tests show that a blowout on the rear with a camper results in a greater loss of control. I run at the sidewall pressures and take my time and the only blowout I've ever had was on a company truck that was driven by many and abused a lot.
+Quote Post
kampli100
post Feb 23 2013, 08:41 AM
Post #10

Member No.: 6,473
Favorite Truck Camper(s): no
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: no
Type of Tiedowns used: no
Truck and Camper Setup: no

Congratulation for the safe driving.You said was said that tires is checked after covering the distance of 200 miles after when you came back at home your tires is in good position or not??How much oil was burn at this trip?

--------------------
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicTopic OptionsStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th April 2024 - 05:20 PM