RV_Tech
post Mar 9 2017, 06:07 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,199
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Hallmark, Northstar, Outfitter
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: F-350 SRW 6.2 Supercab
Type of Tiedowns used: Happijack front, Torklift rear
Truck and Camper Setup: Hallmark Ute XL No modes to truck Torklift Fast Guns Fast guns had to be cut down to absolute minimum (14 1/2") to use with Happijac front tie down and Hallmark camper.

So it is a nice day today so I thought it was a good time to put the TorkLift tie downs on my 2012 F350 SRW long bed. What a mess, I quickly saw why their own video only shows the install on the passenger side.

Step #1 drop the fuel tank shield or take it completely off to have enough room to work.
Step #2 Slide the first bracket up the fuel tank indent onto the frame rail and then slide it down to the frame rail so the tank shield can eventually be replaced.

Step#2 Sounds great, but there is nowhere near enough room to slide the bracket down the frame rail next to the tank. Not even close.

Ring up Tech Support at TorkLift. Clearly they have no clue, can I send pictures. Next take some pics and send em email. TorkLift calls verifies I have the right parts, which I do. In that case, I just have to unclamp the fuel tank and shift it over. Huh, I gotta move the fuel tank. Yeah, sometimes the tank has to be shifted over (there is really very little shifting that can be done with the fuel tank).

Give that a try and with a pry bar and a ball peen hammer, I could wedge it into place, but there will be absolutely 0" of clearance between the tank and the metal bracket. Probably not a good idea given that Ford has a rubber cushion wherever the tank makes contact with the the metal straps. mad.gif

I can't be the first one to have this problem. Anyone in the forum heard of it before?

Steve
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll
Replies
SidecarFlip
post May 15 2017, 04:44 PM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,221
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Forest River Palomino SS
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: 1997 Ford F350 4x4 LB SRW CC 7.3 diesel
Type of Tiedowns used: HappyJac standard
Truck and Camper Setup: 1997 Ford F350 4 door 4x4 Crew Cab 7.3 Diesel, Lance 915 loaded, 2015 Palomino SS1500 Loaded

It's the DEF tank that is in the way of the front TL and it has to be moved, no way to install the bracket, not enough room. My buddy is having them installed and it's being done in a shop because the truck needs to be in the air to do it properly.

Has nothing to do with suspension at all.

Overall, I'm not all that impressed with TL in general, but then I don't have to be. Been running HJ's for years now. Took a shot at their 'Glo Steps' and sent them back. Very flimsy and narrow and very expensive to boot. Finally, like I've said before, HJ just came out with a cam lock tie down for half the TL price. They are on my Christmas list.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicTopic OptionsStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th April 2024 - 05:10 AM