IPB
Truck Camper Parts

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> Caribou Campers, Anyone have any experience with these?

TA_Pump
post Mar 8 2009, 06:59 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,069
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Fleetwood
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: 2001 F-350 4x4 crew cab SRW
Type of Tiedowns used: Torklift
Truck and Camper Setup: 2001 F-350 7.3 PS Crew Cab Long Bed, 4 in lift, 35x12.5 Toyo Open Countries, 1994 11.5 ft Caribou Camper, Torklift tie downs

Hey everyone,
Another newbie looking to get my first camper. I've found several Caribou campers in the local area for sale. They seem to be nicely built campers. Does anyone have any experience with these at all? Ive been looking at them from 1991 up to 1994. I know all older campers will have their inherent problems, but is there anything about this camper I need to know of? Any help would be great. Thanks again
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
LindaH
post Mar 11 2009, 10:31 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 2,829
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Eagle Cap
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: 2007 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually (Cummins engine)
Type of Tiedowns used: Torklift w/Fastguns
Truck and Camper Setup: Eagle Cap 950, 2 100-watt solar panels, 2 6-volt AGM batteries, 1000-watt pure sine wave inverter, Motosat Executive satellite TV dish, Torklift 5-step Glow Steps.

We used to have a Caribou camper back in 1996. It was a nice camper and didn't have any problems with it. Unfortunately, we only had it for less than a year before it was stolen, so I can't tell you how it would have held up over time.
+Quote Post
TA_Pump
post Mar 11 2009, 10:29 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 3,069
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Fleetwood
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: 2001 F-350 4x4 crew cab SRW
Type of Tiedowns used: Torklift
Truck and Camper Setup: 2001 F-350 7.3 PS Crew Cab Long Bed, 4 in lift, 35x12.5 Toyo Open Countries, 1994 11.5 ft Caribou Camper, Torklift tie downs

QUOTE(LindaH @ Mar 11 2009, 08:31 AM)
We used to have a Caribou camper back in 1996.  It was a nice camper and didn't have any problems with it.  Unfortunately, we only had it for less than a year before it was stolen, so I can't tell you how it would have held up over time.

Stolen? Thats the first time I have heard of one being stolen. Its a crazy society we live in now. Thanks for the input though. I am picking up my camper on Thursday. I ended up getting a 1994 11.5ft Caribou. It seems to be in good condition, and was garaged its whole life. Hopefully it holds up well, and hopefully some better camping weather shows up soon.
+Quote Post
brownies daddy
post Mar 12 2009, 07:36 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 3,068
Favorite Truck Camper(s): LANCE (Of Course)
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: FORD (WHAT ELSE?!!)
Type of Tiedowns used: Happijac
Truck and Camper Setup: Brownie is a great big beautiful 03 Ford f350 ,7.2 power stroke diesel,4x4 STX superduty crew cab ,she runs a super chip ,firestone airrite bags, with airrite dual control airbag compressos.she sports a pro comp 9.5 inch suspention lift ,37x12.5x16 pro comp x terrain tires,american raceing wheels, dual fox shocks,on the front and sigles in the rear,in the cab we have a alpine stereo system, a 950 watt alpine amp,boston acoustic speakers,alpine sub woofer , a cobra c.b with a firestick hood mounted attenna, on her back we have a Lance 980 11.3 camper, fully loaded with all the options,and we just installed a sattelite dish,she pulls with a reese towbeast class5 receiver with thr reese tow bar exstention .she pulls a 97 jeep tj and a 20 ft bayliner no problem, shes been in the sand ,mud ,snow and countless boat ramps and has never let me down

QUOTE(TA_Pump @ Mar 12 2009, 03:29 AM)
Stolen? Thats the first time I have heard of one being stolen. Its a crazy society we live in now. Thanks for the input though. I am picking up my camper on Thursday. I ended up getting a 1994 11.5ft Caribou. It seems to be in good condition, and was garaged its whole life. Hopefully it holds up well, and hopefully some better camping weather shows up soon.

Caribou campers are real nice rigs my family has used them for years they are a little on the heavy side , they are made by Fleetwood so you know they are a quality build and will last a long time if maintained, unfourtunatly Fleetwood no longer makes campers so it might be hard to get parts good luck and have fun
+Quote Post
LindaH
post Mar 12 2009, 10:09 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 2,829
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Eagle Cap
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: 2007 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually (Cummins engine)
Type of Tiedowns used: Torklift w/Fastguns
Truck and Camper Setup: Eagle Cap 950, 2 100-watt solar panels, 2 6-volt AGM batteries, 1000-watt pure sine wave inverter, Motosat Executive satellite TV dish, Torklift 5-step Glow Steps.

QUOTE(TA_Pump @ Mar 11 2009, 09:29 PM)
Stolen? Thats the first time I have heard of one being stolen.

Yes. It was in a fenced storage yard and we got a call one Monday morning from the owner asking if we'd picked up our camper. No, we hadn't, why did he ask? Well, it wasn't there!

We're positive that the people who owned the lot had something to do with it's disappearance, but we had no proof. We got a very strange story from the owner's daughter who claimed she came in on Saturday morning to open up and found the chain and padlock cut. She "said" she figured her father had done it. Really? Why in the world would the owner cut the chain? And, having done so, why would he not have immediately replaced it or informed his daughter of it? And why didn't the daughter call her father to confirm whether or not he'd been the one to do it? She also didn't bother to do an inventory to see if anything was missing. Either she was the most stupid person on the face of this earth, or they were involved in the theft.

Who ever stole it must have had help because we'd taken the battery out, so it's not like the thieves could have just cranked the jacks up and driven underneath it. They either had to know what it was that they were after, that it didn't have a battery, and came prepared with a battery, or came with a tow truck and lifted the entire thing onto the tow truck.

The owner of the lot was also reluctant to call the police. We insisted, however (you can't file a claim for a stolen vehicle without a police report), so he did finally call them.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicTopic OptionsStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th April 2024 - 04:34 PM