pure cetane
post Jun 7 2010, 07:50 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,369
Favorite Truck Camper(s): alpenlite, adventurer, bigfoot
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: 3500 ram dually diesel
Type of Tiedowns used: torklift & fastguns
Truck and Camper Setup: 2003 dodge long bed, 1997 bigfoot 2500, torklift tiedowns, superhitch, fastgun turnbuckles

I have an issue with the camper rocking back and forth constantly like the floor of the truck is warped or the camper floor is bowed but both are straight. All tiedowns have same torque load, i am using a rubber mat between the bed and camper as recommended by my bigfoot manufacturer.
Will rock back and forth with full or empty holding tank and gear is loaded from the front to the back also as recommended.
Is this an issue with a newer truck bed and an older camper design or is this a normal thing for a camper?
It is really annoying.
anyone else have a camper that bounces up and down along the road?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
mh45472
post Jun 8 2010, 08:24 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 2,941
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Elkhorn 8R
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: GMC Sierra 2500 HD SRW 4 x 4 Ext. Cab Short box
Type of Tiedowns used: Happijac
Truck and Camper Setup: GMC 2500 HD, Air bags, Happijacs, custom hitch box extension, Fleetwood Elkhorn 8R, pretty much loaded

Two things come to mind:
1. Tires. I run load range E on SRW carrying a 3000 elkhorn and I do not have the rocking you describe.
2. Sway bar. Do you have one?

Also, is the camper floor approximately as wide as the distance between your wheel wells inside the box? If not, you could add a second wider plywood outer floor to your TC to give it more width. It could even get wider behind the wheel wells. Kinda hokey but it might help.
+Quote Post
aqualung
post Jun 8 2010, 11:29 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 3,725
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Adventurer 90FWS
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: Dodge 3500 Dually Quadcab 4x4 6.7L Cummins
Type of Tiedowns used: Torklift
Truck and Camper Setup: 2008 Adventurer 90FWS Torklift Tiedowns with SuperHitch and SuperTruss Firestone Air Bags Torklift Load Stabilizers Fastgun Turnbuckles

If the whole truck is rocking front to rear then I have heard that upgrading the truck's shocks to a heavier duty set of shocks helps. If its side to side rocking then airbags would help.

I have side to side rocking with my camper so I added the Torklift Stable Loads. These make use of the overload springs on the truck when the camper is loaded. They helped quite a bit but I think that the addition of airbags would help a lot more. I have a 1 ton dually truck and run E load rated tries all around. My camper weighs in at just over 3000lbs.

I also do see some front to rear rocking when travelling over some rougher roads. Usually slowing down a bit stops the rocking so it doesn't really bother me much. Adding a set of Rancho RS9000 XL shocks would probably cure this problem but I haven't tried it so I really can't say how well they would work.
+Quote Post
gbic1
post Jul 5 2010, 12:37 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 4,521
Favorite Truck Camper(s): trek
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: 1968 F350 Camper Special 390 1993 F350 Crew Cab 5.8
Type of Tiedowns used: Mounts on bed pockets.
Truck and Camper Setup: 10.5 Viking Popup. Truck has special bumper that slides out to reach behind camper. Installing new canvas now.

I had a bed liner in my first ruck with camper and it was scary. I got rid of the liner and put down a sheet of plywood and that solved the problem. That was an older heavy camper.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicTopic OptionsStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th April 2024 - 06:49 PM