Kevin H
post Feb 13 2013, 09:38 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,560
Favorite Truck Camper(s): New to TC - No favorite yet
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: 2011 Dodge 4x2, Cummins, 6spd man'l
Type of Tiedowns used: Happijac
Truck and Camper Setup: 2005 Outfitter Apex 9.5 on 2011 Dodge 3500 pulling Haulmark 5x8 for play. Full time in 37' motor home.

I've read all the good stuff on the Rancho XL9000 shocks so I tried to get some for my 2011 Ram 3500. Guess what - Rancho does not have any for my application. That comes from Rancho's Technical Support directly.

Any other suggestions? Rough Country, Monroe, Bilstein, Koni etc.

I put a set of Koni FSD shocks on my motor home and am extremely pleased.

You guys are the experts - what is plan 'B' for us Ram owners (I hear it already "buy a chevy, ford, GMC etc laugh.gif "

Here's my situation.

2011 Ram 3500
Crew cab - 8ft box
4x2
6.7 Cummins
6 speed manual
Stock Height
Single rear wheel
I installed Firestone air bags
I carry a 2005 Outfitter Apex 9.5 - about 2500 pounds
30k miles

Situation - lots of porpoising. If I pump up the air bags to 60+ I can stiffen the ride but the rear sits very high and transfers weight to front. I'm pretty sure the factory shocks are shot.

It's time to do something and I'm disappointed that the XL9000s aren't available.

Your expertise is needed and appreciated.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
DMAC
post Feb 13 2013, 06:57 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 4,553
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Amerigo
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: 2001 F-350 SRW 4X4 crew cab
Type of Tiedowns used: Torklift front/ Homemade rear
Truck and Camper Setup: 2001 F-350: Ride Rite Air Bags, Torklift Tiedowns, Front cooler rack. 1976 Amerigo Totally Restored to 2010 specs, fully loaded.

Hi Kevin,

It seems to me the front suspension is the area I would focus on. Maybe a dual shock setup with bilsteins/Rancho RS5000? A shock that is heavy duty...that will fit your truck. Those coil springs are just bouncing up and down up front with that heavy engine and then the heavy camper just enhances that porpoising. Keep searching the WEB or give a call to Rancho to see what their experts recommend.
Adding the new stiffer shock to the rears should help too.
Good Luck!
Dave
+Quote Post
kerry4951
post Feb 14 2013, 09:44 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 5,121
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Arctic Fox
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: Chevy Silverado 3500 dually Crew cab
Type of Tiedowns used: Torklift w/ Fastguns
Truck and Camper Setup: Chevy Silverado 3500 dually w/ Arctic Fox 1140 DB Torklift tie downs w/ Fastguns Supersprings, Air bags, Helwig sway bar, Bilstein shocks, Torklift stable loads, Front timbrens

All factory OEM shocks are a joke. I switched out to Bilsteins and they work very well. I like the fact that I dont have to get down there and adjust the things each trip. I was also concerned with possible corrision issues with the adjustment knob since they love to use salt on the roads here in the northeast. For me having non adjustable shocks is one less thing I have to think about each trip.
+Quote Post
wirenut
post Feb 21 2013, 11:59 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 5,845
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Lance
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: '05 Chevy crew cab dually 4 x 4
Type of Tiedowns used: Happijac turnbuckles, D rings in the flat bed
Truck and Camper Setup: I have a custom aluminum flatbed on my '05 Chevy crew cab dually. It has tool boxes above and below the bed. I carry my '03 Fleetwood 11x side entry camper. I also tow my 20' Larson boat behind.

I had Bilsteins on my '07 Chevy SRW. They were better than the stock ones they replaced with 25,000 miles.
I currently have KYB Monomax on my '05 Chevy dually. They replaced factor shocks with about 100,000 miles on them. I noticed a huge difference. I really like the KYB. The Bilsteins may have been as good but I didn't notice as much of a difference.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicTopic OptionsStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th April 2024 - 02:07 PM