post Feb 18 2011, 05:33 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,323
Favorite Truck Camper(s): dont have one yet
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: still shopping for one
Type of Tiedowns used: none
Truck and Camper Setup: looking to buy one

Am thinking about getting a truck camper. Looking for a reliable 6 cyl 4x4 truck and basic camper that is built good and priced cheap. I need minimum features. Just need fridge, cooktop, outside cold shower, sink with water pump and a light or two. I use a lugaloo, don't need black water stystem.

Was told the US pickups are crap nowadays. The mechanic said the only 'fair' trucks are Nissan and Toyota. Sad state of affairs if this is true.

What can you rec for me to look into?

Thanks.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
tom
post Feb 18 2011, 08:38 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 4,385
Favorite Truck Camper(s): ulta lite 1200lbs to me is not lite
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: f150 ford
Type of Tiedowns used: home built to frame
Truck and Camper Setup: looked for something really lite, nothing on the market. Wanted something less than half of the rated weight load for a 1/2 ton truck.Like to be realistic about weight capacities. Built a totally aluminum unit. 8 ft. box, 80 in. wide, 80 in. high. With door, windows and AC and jacks I can still left one end by hand and I'm over 60. I'm guessing at this point unit must be around 200 lbs.

QUOTE(slackercruster @ Feb 18 2011, 06:33 PM)
Am thinking about getting a truck camper. Looking for a reliable 6 cyl 4x4 truck and basic camper that is built good and priced cheap. I need minimum features. Just need fridge, cooktop, outside cold shower, sink with water pump and a light or two. I use a lugaloo, don't need black water stystem.

Was told the US pickups are crap nowadays. The mechanic said the only 'fair' trucks are Nissan and Toyota. Sad state of affairs if this is true. 

What can you rec for me to look into?

Thanks.

Slackercruster,

When I trade trucks I check them out on Consumer Reports. It coasts about $25.00 for a year, but it's money well spent for big $$ items. They have not been wrong yet in my purchases.

Capri Truck Campers are pretty interesting. Seems like a lot of bang for the buck. I had an 04, construction was average/typical. Problem with a lot of RV's is water leaks that if undetected causes the wood frames to rot.

Hope this helps!

Tom
+Quote Post
Dave D.
post Feb 19 2011, 01:06 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 5,037
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Looking for Pop-up
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: 2011 Silverado WT 1/2 ton
Type of Tiedowns used: none yet
Truck and Camper Setup: Still shopping

I had a 6 cyl Dodge Dakota and a Jayco 7' pop up truck camper for several years. Nice and cozy, but you can forget about the outside shower. You would need at least a 25 gallon fresh water tank for a couple of showers and cooking\dishes and those small popups come with 5-10 gallon tanks. Go for the shower in a bag, I use one all the time, forget the sun warming up the water, I just heat up water on the stove, use a funnel and walla, a hot shower in five minutes. Just install a hook on the side of your camper.

As far as what truck is better, there are some good Videos on youtube of some recent comparisons, dodge, chevy, ford, Nissan and toyota (1/2 tons). Nissan was pretty much last in all the events. Also similar videos for HD trucks.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicTopic OptionsStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st January 2022 - 10:07 AM