Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> Restoration of 1974 KZ Inc. Sportsmen

bikevision
post Mar 26 2010, 01:01 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,497
Favorite Truck Camper(s): '76 Honey
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: 93 dodge 1ton dually 511,000 miles 99 f350 quad cab dually 435,000 miles
Type of Tiedowns used: custom turnbuckles
Truck and Camper Setup: right now i got a 8ft 1974 Sportsman by K-Z inc. im rebuilding on my 93 dodge dually, behind that i haul a converted 14ft. hard sided popup to haul my motorcycle and tools. its a moble shed

Thought i would share my work with you guys. Last fall i picked up my camper for $100. Ive done a few other restorations in the past so this one did not scare me at first glance. Tearing into it i found a whole new can of worms, but nothing i cant handle. Ill pretty much be tearing it all down and doing a complete rebuild. All four corners have extensive rot and ill be redesigning the front to be more aerodynamic. Ive done a complete write up with pics on my blog Bikevision
So far all ive got done is to rip out all the rotted paneling and patch the roof where it was leaking. The weather is keeping me from realling digging into it. And right now my materals on hand are lacking so that will put off some work till i can get them. Ive always tried to find used materals instead of buying new. Its a big trend now to reuse materals "Going Green" but for me it hasent really been the green side of it. more of the $$ side and i dont like to waste things.

user posted image
user posted image
user posted image
user posted image
user posted image
user posted image
user posted image

The dodge that its sitting on now has in the past just been my backup, but ill be putting it back on the road too which takes priorty over the camper. So this rebuild may take longer than id planned on at first but ill get there. For me id rather buy a cheap camper and put a few grand into it then spend 10,000+ on a new one.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
MooringProduct
post Mar 27 2010, 08:42 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 3,969
Favorite Truck Camper(s): All
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: 2003 F250 CC SWB
Type of Tiedowns used: Torklift
Truck and Camper Setup: F250 CC SB w/ 6.0 Diesel ARP studs, EGR deleted, NOS for the track(13.49ET),GT4088 Turbo and MBRP SS Exhaust. Suspension has Firestone bags, 4" ProComp Lift, Bilstein 5150 shocks, Class V Hitch, Stable Load. 2006 Lance 881 Loaded

Good luck with the project. Keep the pictures coming.

--------------------
2003 F250 CC SB 6.0 Stable Loads and Air bags. 4" custom lift, Bilstein 5150 Shocks, and Complete Energy Suspension bushing.
2006 Lance 881 Loaded..No Gen or Awnings.
+Quote Post
eman
post Mar 28 2010, 08:22 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 3,973
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Wolverine
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: 03 2500 Ram Diesel 6 spd quad cab
Type of Tiedowns used: Torklift frame mounts, Happijac qwik-loads
Truck and Camper Setup: Pac Brake air bags, Edge Juice w/Attitude, 1974 Wolverine 8' Fantastic vent, a/c added, resto completed

Keep the update coming! I'll be watching from Michigan. I picked up a "classic" too. An old Wolverine in need of repairs and updating. I too am partial to Dodge trucks. Good luck!
+Quote Post
PapaMac
post Mar 29 2010, 10:16 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 3,941
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Okinagan
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: 99 F350 DRW SC Powerstroke 4x4
Type of Tiedowns used: Stable Lift
Truck and Camper Setup: 99F350 Duelly, 7.3 Powerstroke 4x4, 1969 Caveman 9.5 rebuilt, Stable lift . Class V hitch.

Good luck with your project, Metal looks to be in great shape. I am wrapping mine back up down to putting the trim back on, I had to replace a few pieces of key lumber, rebuild the front end to slope instead of flat face, Still alot of odds and ends but nearing the end. mines a 69 caveman. it fit perfect on my 97 f250, but i upgraded to a f350 drw with diesel and the box was narrow in the rear so I had to rebuild the side boxes on the camper so it would fit in the truck. Then I have to tackle installing this stable lift that Ive had in the barn waiting for a few months. Im like you, I would rather spend a little on an older camper then spend 25 grand on a new one. Although those slideouts do appeal to me. laugh.gif
+Quote Post
bikevision
post Mar 29 2010, 04:21 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 3,497
Favorite Truck Camper(s): '76 Honey
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: 93 dodge 1ton dually 511,000 miles 99 f350 quad cab dually 435,000 miles
Type of Tiedowns used: custom turnbuckles
Truck and Camper Setup: right now i got a 8ft 1974 Sportsman by K-Z inc. im rebuilding on my 93 dodge dually, behind that i haul a converted 14ft. hard sided popup to haul my motorcycle and tools. its a moble shed

Thanks. yea the metal is in really good shape. I plan on giving the camper a nice coat or two of gloss white paint when im all said and done. If it turns out how i picture it in my head it will look brand new when im done. (actually most of it will be new)

i just picked up some old church pews for free 16' long. im going to cut the backs down and make a new counter and table out of them then make two benches 6-8ft. long with the rest and sell them. that should help with the funding to get my camper going. today was the first nice day that we have had around here in over a week but ive been inside all day with Rosetta Stone spanish. (once i started this morning i couldnt stop) it supposed to be nice all week though so im hoping to get out there tommorrow and get some work done.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicTopic OptionsStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th April 2024 - 03:15 PM