Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> Truck Suspension, What's Needed

dedad
post Sep 6 2005, 05:05 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 8

What equipment is recommended to make a Ford F250 camper worthy? I'm thinking of buying a full size truck camper. Should I add air bags?? I would like to have the truck ready before I put the camper on it.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
toby
post Sep 7 2005, 06:33 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 5

What kind of truck camper are you buying and how heavy is it? Airbags help considerably to beef up the suspension.
+Quote Post
dieselonly
post Oct 11 2006, 03:11 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 175

You are limited by the GVW of the truck. With a PS diesel, super cab and 8 ft box in 4x2 you are looking at 7400 lbs. Not sure then take it to a Cat scale or grain elevator scale. Weigh it full of fuel. Subtract that number from your max GVW and you have what you can "legally" carry. If you have 8800 gvw there isn't much left to work with. Notice I said legally. You can do a number of things to get the GVW up but the sticker in drivers door sill is what the law will use if you hit somebody because you were too heavy. Understand on many F-250 and 350's the frame is the same thickness and the brakes are the same. The difference is in the spring rate. If you want to have a trick F-250 and go out and buy a new F-350 dually and still have a decent size camper you can do this. 1) Install Talon air suspension (Talon-USA.com) this will cost you $4000. 2) Install the Rickson 19.5" wheels and tires. This will set you back $3000 depending on what you choose. See ricksontrucks.com. You now have about 7-8K which is much cheaper than replacing the old truck. You can put a 3000 lb camper on your rig and be OK. But remember by law and that unchangable sticker on the door you are sill over weight but able to go down the road and stop just fine. Having said all that, if you want no problems, haul the biggest and baddest camper made buy the new Superduty F-450 for 2008!
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicTopic OptionsStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th April 2024 - 12:25 PM