Astrid Bierworth
post Feb 25 2015, 08:20 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,007
Favorite Truck Camper(s): n/a
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: GMC 2500 extended cab
Type of Tiedowns used: n/a
Truck and Camper Setup: We are looking to buy a truck camper for a trip to Alaska in 2016

Hi All,

My husband and I have been RVing for several years now in a fifth wheel, not full time, but half time. We want to buy a used truck camper for a trip to Alaska in 2016 and re-sell it after the trip. My husband does not want to take the trailer to Alaska. I am used to a lot more space than a truck camper provides, so this will present a number of challenges.

I would appreciate any tips that people can offer, from choosing the right camper (we will be looking for a used one), to outfitting it, to general tips on living in one for a number of weeks. We live in Eastern Ontario, Canada so a good part of the trip will be just getting there and back.

I am concerned about cooking as I will obviously have to do with less cooking utensils and pantry items, which will reduce the number of recipes I can use. We travel with a cat, so that involves a litter box as well.

Any tips, suggestions, web sites, etc. will be much appreciated.

Thanks!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
aqualung
post Mar 5 2015, 12:50 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 3,725
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Adventurer 90FWS
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: Dodge 3500 Dually Quadcab 4x4 6.7L Cummins
Type of Tiedowns used: Torklift
Truck and Camper Setup: 2008 Adventurer 90FWS Torklift Tiedowns with SuperHitch and SuperTruss Firestone Air Bags Torklift Load Stabilizers Fastgun Turnbuckles

Hi Astrid

Being in Eastern Ontario you may find it difficult to find a used camper. The only dealer in the area that has campers now is Trailica. Miller's in Metcalfe no longer carries truck campers, although he still has one new camper left on the lot. Be prepared to travel to go see one.

Based on your truck, you'll be looking for a light camper like a popup or light hardside. Trailica does have some Palomino popups on their lot so you can at least go look at one. Keep in mind that you need to stay within your truck's GVWR with the camper loaded and full of water and goodies.

Truck campers don't sell well in our area so you might have difficulty selling yours after your trip. Perhaps you might consider renting one? Fraser Way which is just north of Toronto rents Truck Campers and they might rent just the camper too (not sure about this).

Generally, you can carry quite a bit of stuff in a truck camper since they do have decent storage for the space but it will be less than what you have in your fifth wheel.

As for your cat, you should check out Truck Camper Magazine. Their cat Harley travels everywhere with them and I'm sure they'll have some pointers on travelling with a cat in a camper.

http://www.truckcampermagazine.com/

Hope this helps
Aqualung
also from Eastern Ontario.
+Quote Post
JADE RACING
post Mar 10 2015, 02:01 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 7,895
Favorite Truck Camper(s): adventurer
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: 07 gmc 3500 dually D/A
Type of Tiedowns used: torklift/fastguns
Truck and Camper Setup: 07GMC3500 dually diesel/auto airbags torklift tiedowns/fastguns 56 gal transferflow tank banks spd brake/tuner;06 adventurer 106DBS 2.5ownan geny awning topper torklift stairs remote bbq rear awning ext trl hitch/basket for sewer tote

We were in a similar situation last year as we down sized from a 37" 5th and found that southern Ontario has few truck camper dealers. We purchased our first privately and even though having been rv'ing for on 30 plus years got myself into a pickle with a unit that appeared very good, ended up with major structual rebuilding before we ventured out. We tried out a unit 11 feet long with a wet bath and no slide, and found it very restrictive with my wife our dog, and cat and myself. All the while we were scanning ads, to no real avail. We ended trading our rebiult 09 model in on a 06 adventurer 106 with dry bath, single slide and onboard built in geny. We dealt with Truck Camper Warehouse in New Hampshire, and would recomend dealing with Bill as truck campers are all he deals in. After driving all over southern Ontario to so called truck camper dealers with personel trying to sell what THEY wanted you to buy It was an impressive to deal with a down to earth person, even though we had to go on a road trip. After we got home I had a small problem that was solved by a phone call.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicTopic OptionsStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th April 2024 - 10:10 PM