IPB
Truck Camper Parts

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> Rusty Staples in Pop-Up Truck Camper, How do I correct the rusty staples?

Nobody
post Jun 15 2016, 01:26 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,339
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Palomino
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: '99 Ford F-250 SuperCab long bed, 7.3L Power Stroke
Type of Tiedowns used: Blackstone Mfg Co Camper Clampers, looking for TorkLift
Truck and Camper Setup: 2003 SunLite 8.5 WTSB, modified roof lift to support roof air

I recently acquired a 2003 SunLite 8.5 WTSB pop-up truck camper. It is a very nice unit & since I'm familiar with the brand, I think it'll do exactly what I need. I had a near identical unit ('cept it was 8yrs older) on my old '85 F-250 6.9L IDI diesel when I totaled both, the Saturday after T'giving 2014. I've also recently acquired a '99 F-250 SuperCab long bed w/7.3K Power Stroke diesel that handles the SunLite admirably. Currently using Camper Clamper bed rail tie downs that appear to securely hold the camper; I'm looking for a set of TorkLift frame mounted tie downs but they're pricier than I want to pay right now.

I got the camper home last Friday & dismounted it from the truck Saturday (it has 4 corner mechanical jacks that're easy to use with my 18v DeWalt cordless drill) to begin clean-up (hasn't been used for a couple of years so has a musty, 'mildewy' odor. PO was an engineer & after another owner added a roof air unit he had to devise a different roof lift system due to weight of AC causing the 'rack & pinion' to 'strip' the gears. He used a couple of pieces of 3/4" 'all-thread' accessed from an outside 'port' that works very well. I have the AC on this AM to 'cool' it down in there before I start cleaning. While vacuuming it out I noticed a couple of things in each rear corner, at the top of the solid wall where the fabric upper wall starts. It appears that the fabric is held in place by thin aluminum trim strips that are 'stapled' to the solid wall. At each rear corner the staples have rusted severely from moisture causing ugly stains on the vinyl coated fabric at that location. I've added pix of the stains & tusty stples. My proposed solution is to remove the offending staples, clean the fabric as much as possible of stains, & then replace the staples with #4 or 5, 3/4" stainless, pan head screws. I'll probably have to replace 6-7 staples in each corner. The fabric on the street side has already developed pin holes where the rust is heaviest. I propose to repair those using fabric glue since I'm unable to access the fabric with a sewing machine. I have access to a small air driven, narrow crown nailer/stapler but haven't been able to locate any stainless or bronze staples that fit my machine, else I'd use those instead of the screws.

Has anyone encountered such a problem, & if so what did you do? TIA...

user posted image
user posted image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
dbc58
post Jun 21 2016, 11:10 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 8,933
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Lance
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: Dodge Megs Cab 2500 6.7
Type of Tiedowns used: happijac
Truck and Camper Setup: 2500 6.7 Pac Brake air bags Hellwig swaybar

+Quote Post
Nobody
post Jun 22 2016, 08:19 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 6,339
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Palomino
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: '99 Ford F-250 SuperCab long bed, 7.3L Power Stroke
Type of Tiedowns used: Blackstone Mfg Co Camper Clampers, looking for TorkLift
Truck and Camper Setup: 2003 SunLite 8.5 WTSB, modified roof lift to support roof air

Thanks dbc58. I'll check local suppliers again & if I don't find SS narrow crown staples I'll order 'em from Amazon. Local 'big box' stores said they didn't have any & couldn't get any... mad.gif I 'pulled' a few of the rusty staples & it appears the 'legs' were about 3/8" long so I'll try to get 1/2" or maybe even 5/8" in the SS. Don't think there's any water damage to the wood underneath the trim but I'd rather have the staples penetrate more if I can find 'em.

user posted image
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicTopic OptionsStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 15th May 2024 - 11:17 AM