post Feb 7 2011, 02:26 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,281
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Arctic Fox
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: 15 Ram 3500 Dually 4x4
Type of Tiedowns used: Torklift
Truck and Camper Setup: 2016 Arctic Fox 990

My truck is a 2006 Dodge 3500 SRW quad cab, 2wd, Cummins 6 speed with camper and towing package. This is the model with American Axle rear and MB trans.

Anyway, the camper paper that comes with it says 1925 lbs.
the GVWR is 9900 lbs and truck weighs around 7000 full of fuel.
GVWR rear is 6000 lbs (or was it 6600 lbs?)
We are thinking of switching from an 11,000 lb 5th wheel which has a tong weight of 2500 (or more) lbs which the truck handles with no problem.

the only mods I have done is I replaced the overload spring perches with new rubber pads so the over load springs come into contact sooner, keeping the ride height level with 5th wheel loaded. and Bilstein shocks on all 4 corners.

I used to have a 10' aluminum skinned shadow cruiser but I have no idea what it weighed. I used it with my 1998 2500 dodge and 2002 3500 dually dodge but sold it because of rot (didn't want to drop it on my new truck either).

we are looking at some new Travel lite but I really would like something better (read not aluminum skin).
I found a used Bigfoot 25c10 4 I really like, but the documentation says 2790 lbs dry and this one has AC and a generator.

Is the bigfoot to heavy for my truck?

thanks for the help ahead of time.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Electric Don
post Feb 10 2011, 03:31 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 5,297
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Lance 805
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: 2011 Ford F250 4X4 Crew Cab
Type of Tiedowns used: Basic turnbuckles
Truck and Camper Setup: Camper is 8 feet, designed for short box truck.

Very quickly looking at the numbers you have quoted:

Truck 9900 GVW
Truck weight full of gas: 7000 lbs

That leaves you 2900 pounds for the dry camper, plus all the extras like passengers, food, water, propane, gear, etc. Taking off the tailgate saves you maybe 50 pounds or so. The Bigfoot wouldn't leave you much if any margin and might put you over the GVWR. You might need to look at a shorter camper to save some weight.
+Quote Post
Dave D.
post Feb 11 2011, 03:56 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 5,037
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Looking for Pop-up
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: 2011 Silverado WT 1/2 ton
Type of Tiedowns used: none yet
Truck and Camper Setup: Still shopping

My truck has a 1750 lb carrying capacity but they only rate it for a 1200 lb camper. I think they are figuring your gonna put 500 lbs of passengers in your truck and another 500 lbs of water, food and clothing in the camper?

Was at an RV show the other day and even a pop up truck camper with a cassette toilet weight 1725 lbs. ( I bought a trailer instead)
+Quote Post
Socalmat
post Mar 23 2011, 05:24 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 5,369
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Arctic Fox
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: 2002 Dodge QC LB 4x4 6 spd Diesel, Smarty, 4 inch SS exhaust, Pacbrake, 60 gal. tank, Icom 706 mk2G ham radio, Triple pillar engine gauges, Turbo Saver, 3500 lb overload springs, airbags, Bilstein shocks, 19.5's wheels with G rated Goodyear tires.
Type of Tiedowns used: Custom
Truck and Camper Setup: 2007 AF 990S: 320 watt solar panels, 3000 watt inverter, 80 amp converter, 6 golf cart batteries(2 internal, 4 external), 2.5 kw genset, sat TV.

QUOTE(Dave D. @ Feb 11 2011, 01:56 PM)
My truck has a 1750 lb carrying capacity but they only rate it for a 1200 lb camper.   I think they are figuring your gonna put 500 lbs of passengers in your truck and another 500 lbs of water, food and clothing in the camper?

Was at an RV show the other day and even a pop up truck camper with a cassette toilet weight 1725 lbs.  ( I bought a trailer instead)

I say, don't worry about it! You have the perfect truck to modify into a real hauler. First upgrade the overload springs, upgrade the shocks and if you need to, change to 19.5 inch wheels and tires. You will be very happy with that arrangement. Then put on an exhaust brake and with that manual transmission you will hardly ever use your brakes again.
Congratulations on making a great choice in trucks.

I am a new member to this forum, but not to campers. I can not post pictures yet. Cut and paste this address into your browser to see my setup.
http://members.cox.net/mawinter/springsandtire.JPG
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicTopic OptionsStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th April 2024 - 06:24 PM