OZZIE ROSS
post Sep 13 2008, 11:04 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,961
Favorite Truck Camper(s): lance
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: 2005 Banks f-350 dually 4x4 crew
Type of Tiedowns used: happijacc
Truck and Camper Setup: 2005 Ford - Banks f-350 dually 4x4 crew cab air bags, Happijac, loaded with Lance 2003 1130 loaded

unsure.gif Can anyone help, sort out the Insurance maize,
We recently purchased a F-350 with a lance camper to use for our vacations.

We have started our around USA and Canada Journey one vacation at a time, then we store the camper for up to 11 months wherever we finish up (usually in a different State.)
We fly to and from Australia to continue the journey each year.

Does anyone know the best way to comprehensively insure the vehicle whilst we are on the road then only insure it for fire and theft whilst it is in storage???

We have no permanent garage address as we move and store somewhere else each time.

Most insurers find it too hard to comprehend.

Also what is the best way to go about registration each year when we end up in a different State?

Any Help appreciated.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
garbinator
post Sep 15 2008, 03:53 AM
Post #2

Productive Consumer

Member No.: 2,832
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Lance
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: 3500 GMC Dually 4X4 Crew Cab DuraMax w/6sp variable Allison
Type of Tiedowns used: Happijac, Altec power jacks
Truck and Camper Setup: Lance Legend 990 fully loaded series, Electric Jacks, Air Bags, heavy duty torsion bar, Titan extend-a-hitch, .357 Mag Marlin Lever Action (Cowboy rifle) for camper defense. Bose Acoustic Wave Machine to Ez the nights away...

QUOTE(OZZIE ROSS @ Sep 13 2008, 09:04 PM)
unsure.gif Can anyone help, sort out the Insurance maize,
We recently purchased a F-350 with a lance camper to use for our vacations.

We have started our around USA and Canada Journey one vacation at a time, then we store the camper for up to 11 months wherever we finish up (usually in a different State.)
We fly to and from Australia to continue the journey each year.

Does anyone know the best way to comprehensively insure the vehicle whilst we are on the road then only insure it for fire and theft whilst it is in storage???

We have no permanent garage address as we move and store somewhere else each time.

Most insurers find it too hard to comprehend.

Also what is the best way to go about registration each year when we end up in a different State?

Any Help appreciated.

Ross,

This one is a tuff one, first you must understand each state has it own insurance commission that oversees and regulates the various insurance companies, "nationwide". This is also why insurance rates vary widely from state to state as claims can run according to population density, potential for disaster/s traffic volume and so on. (Think LOOSES or amount of claims filed) I would not bother looking at Insurance companies per say, instead, try contacting an insurance broker. A broker's job is to research your exact need/s and match you with the carrier.

Also, keep this in mind, depending on the state you are in, you CANNOT reduce and or drop your insurance while parked or in storage! California just recently went to this and it made a whole lot of part-time RV'ers madder than you know what!

As for registration, be careful where you choose to leave your rig stored. Not only for insurance reasons, but! Registration can be rather pricey such as California for example. Texas on the other hand will charge you about $65 a year and not have a care in the world about your camper. Just be prepared to say this if asked by the clerk, "No... the camper is off the truck this moment as I am using it for..." There is a difference whether attached permanently and so on. Some states such as California require a one time fee for a fully self-contained camper. There is a sticker issued. Most law enforcement could CARE less. I will explain further here, having your camper attached to your truck and/or hauling it does NOT make or mean it is covered under your regular auto insurance! For me here in California its only about an additional $25 increase in my coverage. If this helps any.... again its based on the value of my camper.

Also, be prepared to prove citizen/country of origin status place of legal residence and so on. I would also look to International insurance carriers just as I had to do while serving in the military. This is all doable, it'll take some research is all.

Sorry I couldn't offer more.
+Quote Post
OZZIE ROSS
post Sep 15 2008, 07:07 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 2,961
Favorite Truck Camper(s): lance
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: 2005 Banks f-350 dually 4x4 crew
Type of Tiedowns used: happijacc
Truck and Camper Setup: 2005 Ford - Banks f-350 dually 4x4 crew cab air bags, Happijac, loaded with Lance 2003 1130 loaded

Thanks Garbinator for the comprehensive reply, most helpful.

Whew what a minefield its crazy when you have so many states with all different requirements for insurance and rego. yet its all the one country. Nevertheless we had a great time and look forward to our next trip.
Our last trip was from L.A thru Arizona and finished in New Mexico. The next leg will be from New Mexico to who knows where, any suggestions?

Thanks again for your time and trouble.
Regards Ross.
+Quote Post
garbinator
post Sep 15 2008, 12:04 PM
Post #4

Productive Consumer

Member No.: 2,832
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Lance
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: 3500 GMC Dually 4X4 Crew Cab DuraMax w/6sp variable Allison
Type of Tiedowns used: Happijac, Altec power jacks
Truck and Camper Setup: Lance Legend 990 fully loaded series, Electric Jacks, Air Bags, heavy duty torsion bar, Titan extend-a-hitch, .357 Mag Marlin Lever Action (Cowboy rifle) for camper defense. Bose Acoustic Wave Machine to Ez the nights away...

QUOTE(OZZIE ROSS @ Sep 15 2008, 05:07 AM)
Thanks Garbinator for the comprehensive reply, most helpful.

Whew what a minefield its crazy when you have so many states with all different requirements for insurance and rego. yet its all the one country. Nevertheless we had a great time and look forward to our next trip.
Our last trip was from L.A thru Arizona and finished in New Mexico. The next leg will be from New Mexico to who knows where, any suggestions?

Thanks again for your time and trouble.
Regards Ross.

Hopefully you now have an idea of why you get the "Duuuh" look everytime you walk in to a local Insurance office.

Traveling through Arrid-Zona make sure to stop at Williams, a quint small town during the winter months, bustling during the summer months, the Grand Canyon is also nearby, one of the tours I hope to take is the Jeep tour down into the canyon. I would perform a goggle search of the area and decide from there. Our local bookstores each have in store a treasure trove of possible travel points. More importantly, they contain the history and other tid-bits you and I may not otherwise realize.

Out of the way places to see can be the best of all. Also, if you happen to be interested in military museums? Arizona, Texas even the military bases themselves are loaded with historical relevance, one being Fort Huachuca Arizona. Some of America's largest Air Museums are in this state as well.

http://huachuca-www.army.mil/web-content/index.html

I'll try spending some more time on this later.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicTopic OptionsStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 15th May 2024 - 11:18 AM