post Sep 6 2012, 10:38 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,255
Favorite Truck Camper(s): lance
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: ford
Type of Tiedowns used: happijack
Truck and Camper Setup: aaa

looking for a light weight camper like 8.6 for using with the long box on ford truck...don't want the camper extended more than truck's length for easier handling with the 26 ft boat...any problems i should be aware of ? will 8.6 fit properly on a long box ? thanks.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
larryh
post Sep 25 2012, 12:28 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 6,279
Favorite Truck Camper(s): none
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: Ford F450 Superduty
Type of Tiedowns used: n/a
Truck and Camper Setup: Looking to obtain appropriate camper for my f450 .

I don't have the answer for, but almost the same question. I have an external secondary fuel tank in the front of my bed so hoping I can put a short bed camper on the truck....

I think a big question is where the center of gravity falls. If it in front of the rear axle It may be ok, but i also read in another post that they are shaped differently and there may be fit problems on the sides with the wheel wells etc.

Hopefully, someone with some real knowledge will help both of us out smile.gif
+Quote Post
aqualung
post Sep 25 2012, 07:01 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 3,725
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Adventurer 90FWS
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: Dodge 3500 Dually Quadcab 4x4 6.7L Cummins
Type of Tiedowns used: Torklift
Truck and Camper Setup: 2008 Adventurer 90FWS Torklift Tiedowns with SuperHitch and SuperTruss Firestone Air Bags Torklift Load Stabilizers Fastgun Turnbuckles

Short bed campers usually have storage compartments on both sides at the rear so you can't put them in long bed trucks and have the campers front bumpers up against the truck box's front wall. Now if you have a fuel tank there, then maybe this will work for you, provided the fuel tank is solidly built and the center of gravity is in the right spot. My guess is that the COG will fall behind your rear axle which is the wrong place but you never know, its best to check with the manufacturers.

as for the 8' 6" camper, this all depends on whether there are storage compartments or not, this depends on the model so there's no easy answer. Some campers are designed to sit in the truck bed and not extend past the box so it sounds like this is what you're looking for.

In both cases, check out the Truck Camper magazine website. There's good info on there w.r.t. camper selection plus they have links to the major camper manufacturers. It looks like you'll have to surf for your answers, unless someone has the exact setup you're looking for and is willing to share info, then you'll get answers from someone with first hand experience.

http://www.truckcampermagazine.com/
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicTopic OptionsStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th April 2024 - 03:22 AM