IPB
Truck Camper Parts

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> Refrigerator and Solar newbie questions, What's your pick and how much solar???

cjweener1
post Mar 26 2017, 01:18 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,289
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Northstar
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: N/A
Type of Tiedowns used: N/A
Truck and Camper Setup: N/A

Bought the truck and now in the final stages of ordering a new Northstar Arrow U:)

I'd like to hear what folks prefer for refrigerators....2 way vs 12 volt compressor. I've read the pros and cons but still not sure which way to go. I'm concerned about the power requirement of the compressor fridge but really like it's performance/safety/ease of use vs. the propane. How much of a solar system do you need (rough estimate) to operate a 6 cu. ft. compressor fridge/freezer and basic electrical needs of camper...LED lights/electric jacks/pump/electronics incl. TV (NO A/C or Microwave).

We have room for 2 group 31 AGMS's for battery storage inside the camper. I can add the factory option of a Zamp 150 watt solar system but not sure how much room will be left over for an additional panel. We do have a Yamaha 2000 for back-up charging if need be. I know we could add our own solar system after purchase and just have them pre-wire it...but hubby is not too excited about this. He is a handy guy but is ready to retire and play:)

I'd like to get a feel for how much solar folks are installing on their roofs and panel size/configuration, etc. I've read Mello Mike's most excellent articles and am still not sure which way to go. Please share what you have done. I'm so grateful for this forum and all the help you have given us newbies!

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Freespool
post Mar 26 2017, 02:24 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 8,975
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Still deciding
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: 2016 GMC3500dualyy4x4diesel
Type of Tiedowns used: Torklift with Fastguns
Truck and Camper Setup: The plan will utilize a 3500 GMC with a 11 or 12' TC with a full compliment of Torklift hitch components and tie downs. Stable loads if needed will be installed.

My thoughts on the big battery's are as follows. My set up may require efforts to be made in order to save weight, I don't think your in the same situation so you will have more options than me. I think the biggest advantage of the 31's over 27's or 24's would be there ability to provide enough juice for the furnace to cycle all night. Spending the additional money now might be a better move especially if you camp in cold weather.

Until recently I had never heard of this new refrigerator. I prefer a simple two way regular model. The three way unit is more expensive and I never use the 12 volt feature, so in my world the KISS system works best for me.

Take a look at the NATCOA web site. Duncan has a 12'STC and writes about his needs for solar. He states in his post that he has the new type of refrigerator, dual 31's and recommends having two solar panels. He also brings along a portable 2000 watt Honda. There is an additional power system that he also use's that you may be interested in, check out his post for an explanation.
+Quote Post
cjweener1
post Mar 26 2017, 05:01 PM
Post #3

Thanks Freespool!

That Efoy Fuel Cell that Duncan is using is awesome....but not in my wallet:)

I'm leaning 2 way propane on the fridge....I agree with your KISS philosophy. I'm worried about the compressor fridge being too power hungry. Hope it's the right call.
+Quote Post
RV_Tech
post Mar 26 2017, 06:40 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 6,199
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Hallmark, Northstar, Outfitter
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: F-350 SRW 6.2 Supercab
Type of Tiedowns used: Happijack front, Torklift rear
Truck and Camper Setup: Hallmark Ute XL No modes to truck Torklift Fast Guns Fast guns had to be cut down to absolute minimum (14 1/2") to use with Happijac front tie down and Hallmark camper.

Two-way or three way and with solar always as much as you can crowd on the roof (and afford). There is no such thing as too much power. smile.gif

Steve
+Quote Post
SidecarFlip
post Mar 26 2017, 08:10 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 9,221
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Forest River Palomino SS
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: 1997 Ford F350 4x4 LB SRW CC 7.3 diesel
Type of Tiedowns used: HappyJac standard
Truck and Camper Setup: 1997 Ford F350 4 door 4x4 Crew Cab 7.3 Diesel, Lance 915 loaded, 2015 Palomino SS1500 Loaded

if your mostly staying in a campground with sjore power, a compressor fridge will work well but if you are running off grid or in the boonies, you want a 3 way absorbtion unit. Even the new Danfoss Compressor fridges pull some serious amps. An absorbtion fridge on proipane pulls almost no power at all.

With proper forced air cooling of the evaporator coil, the absorbtion fridge will cool just as well as the compressor unit. Just has to be relatively level, I can run mine no issue within a half bubble on my carpenters torpedo level.
+Quote Post
Nobody
post Mar 26 2017, 08:40 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 6,339
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Palomino
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: '99 Ford F-250 SuperCab long bed, 7.3L Power Stroke
Type of Tiedowns used: Blackstone Mfg Co Camper Clampers, looking for TorkLift
Truck and Camper Setup: 2003 SunLite 8.5 WTSB, modified roof lift to support roof air

We have been camping for near 50years, in one kind of RV or another. Mostly in cabover truck campers, some with ice boxes, most with fridges. First few fridges we had were 2-way (120VAC-Propane) & they always worked well. Last few fridges have been 3-way (120VAC-12VDC, & Propane). All of them were run on 12VDC while driving my diesel pickups (2 vehicle batteries & heavy duty alternator, as well as dual Group 29 or 31 'house' batteries). I was also careful to wire the charging circuits from the vehicle alternator with 6 or 8 gauge wire, hence little line loss from the alternator. We drove the Alaska hiway in 1993 hauling what was then one of the biggest truck campers, an 11.5' Real Lite with side entry & most all amenities including dry bath with shower (No slides). We towed my little Totyota 4X4 P/U, were gone almost 3mos & enjoyed the trip immensely. Had no problems and the fridge 'ran' on 12VDC most every day while driving & we switched to propane at night or when we 'set-up' camp for several days. I caught Salmon in the rivers in Alaska & we cleaned & 'steaked' those we didn't eat & brought them back for family & friends. The fridge/freezer worked well on propane & we never worried about losing any food stored in either. Personally I wouldn't have anything but a 2 or 3-way fridge in my rig; YMMV...
+Quote Post
cjweener1
post Mar 27 2017, 09:13 AM
Post #7

Thanks everyone! Your comments have been really helpful to us! We are interested in boondocking and getting away from the masses when possible so have decided upon the Dometic 6.6 c.f. 2 way that is standard on the Northstar. We have a dual alternator Cummins and will try to configure that so we can more quickly recharge our batteries when driving (larger gauge wire, continuous duty solenoid, fuses to protect everything, etc.)
Nobody....I wish I had your knowledge with 50 years of camping experience...pretty amazing!

Sidecarflip...how do you recommend doing forced air cooling of the evaporator coil? I've read a where folks will add small fans but not sure how to go about doing this.

Thank you all!!!

+Quote Post
RV_Tech
post Mar 27 2017, 09:48 AM
Post #8

Member No.: 6,199
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Hallmark, Northstar, Outfitter
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: F-350 SRW 6.2 Supercab
Type of Tiedowns used: Happijack front, Torklift rear
Truck and Camper Setup: Hallmark Ute XL No modes to truck Torklift Fast Guns Fast guns had to be cut down to absolute minimum (14 1/2") to use with Happijac front tie down and Hallmark camper.

There are plenty of videos on Youtube that demonstrate the install. It is simple and straight forward. When done by the manufacturer, they add a thermoswitch on the condenser tube which cycles the fan depending on need. You can do the same, if you choose.

Steve
+Quote Post
Jknight611
post Apr 3 2017, 09:26 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 8,785
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Northstar Adventurer 8.5
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: 2018 Chevolet 3500 Duramax Crew Duelly
Type of Tiedowns used: Torklift with Fastguns
Truck and Camper Setup: Totally stock, nothing needed

QUOTE(cjweener1 @ Mar 27 2017, 09:13 AM)
Thanks everyone!  Your comments have been really helpful to us!  We are interested in boondocking and getting away from the masses when possible so have decided upon the Dometic 6.6 c.f. 2 way that is standard on the Northstar.  We have a dual alternator Cummins and will try to configure that so we can more quickly recharge our batteries when driving (larger gauge wire, continuous duty solenoid, fuses to protect everything, etc.) 
Nobody....I wish I had your knowledge with 50 years of camping experience...pretty amazing! 

Sidecarflip...how do you recommend doing forced air cooling of the evaporator coil?  I've read a where folks will add small fans but not sure how to go about doing this.

Thank you all!!!

Our Northstar came with a little fan on the evaporator coil from the factory. Ours is the Dometic 3 way and other than a door switch problem it works well.
+Quote Post
SidecarFlip
post Apr 4 2017, 12:30 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 9,221
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Forest River Palomino SS
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: 1997 Ford F350 4x4 LB SRW CC 7.3 diesel
Type of Tiedowns used: HappyJac standard
Truck and Camper Setup: 1997 Ford F350 4 door 4x4 Crew Cab 7.3 Diesel, Lance 915 loaded, 2015 Palomino SS1500 Loaded

Usually the builders will use the cheapest muffin fan they can buy and only one. I suggest upgrading to 2 or even 3, larger diameter, slower turning muffin fans with FLUID DYNAMIC BEARINGS which make them completely silent.

2 in the upper cavity pulling the air across the condenser and one in the lower cavity blowing upward.

The more ambient air movement across the condenser, the better the unit will operate and muffin fans draw very little current, even the big (120mm) ones draw milliamps of power.

I also suggest investing in a cheap wireless thermometer and placing the sensor in the fridge to monitor interior temperature without having to open the door constantly to check.

Ammonia fridges don't recover as fast as a compressor fridge (residential type) does.

Compressor fridge is just a fancy name for a small residential refrigerator and they are all power hungey

If you absolutely must have a compressor fridge, save yourself a ton of money and buy a dorm or bar fridge and fit that in your camper. They cost about 1/4 of a Danfoss Compressor RV fridge and do exactly the same thing.

IMO, if you are boondocking mostly, a 2 or 3 way ammonia unit is the way to go. Any compressor unit will eat your batteries and 150 watts of solar will not keep up. Remember, the sun don't shine every day or all day (unless you are in Alaska...lol)
+Quote Post
cjweener1
post Apr 4 2017, 02:24 PM
Post #11

Good posts everyone! I'll see what the fridge comes with and if I need to upgrade... I like SidecarFlips suggestions. I didn't think about the wireless thermometer....great idea SCF!!! I was just going to stick a regular thermometer inside....now I won't have to open the door to check.....brilliant!!!

Weather is warming up here in the Dakota's and I'm getting excited to get the new truck and truck camper. Won't be ready for about 8 weeks...so the next project will be fabricating a dolly so we can fit it in our storage building. That just might be the next forum question?smile.gif

Thanks for all your expertise and help!!!

+Quote Post
skyhammer
post Apr 5 2017, 03:44 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 5,520
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Host
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: 2011 F-350,4WD,CC,DRW
Type of Tiedowns used: Tork lift fast guns
Truck and Camper Setup: Air bags, tork lift stable loads,Reese extension hitch. Host 11.5' triple slide

I use a wireless thermometer and bring the control unit in the truck while driving to monitor the temp. I use a regular one for the freezer.
My 8cuft. fridge uses two fans, one high and one low. The tag on the fan says up to 5 amps, but when I put a meter on them, they draw 2.5 amps. My fridge is in one of the slides.
On the hottest days, they run maybe 3 hours, usually a lot less.

--------------------
2011, F-350,CC,DRW,6.7,4WD
Air bags, Tork Lift Stable Loads
Host, 11.5' Tripple Slide
Tork Lift Fast Guns
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicTopic OptionsStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 03:44 AM