post Feb 16 2014, 06:29 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,355
Favorite Truck Camper(s): lance
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: 2013 F350
Type of Tiedowns used: none yet
Truck and Camper Setup: No Camper Yet, just a truck

ill, try and keep this short and sweet….
Looking at a lance 950s 2650 dry weight. I went to lance dealer and spoke with a salesman about matching a truck with this camper. he was steering me towards their brochure which recommended a f250. seemed a little small to me so I went with a 2013 F350 diesel crew cab 8' box.maybe if I give you the specs on the truck you guys might be able to help me decide if this is enough truck for the 950s or i need to scale back to a non slide model.

Tires - LT275/70R18E 125/122 R
GVWR 11,500
Front GAWR 5600
Rear GAWR 7000

Went to scale with Full fuel tank, 2 adults and dog..

weighed front axle @ 5120#
weighed Rear axel @ 3740#
Total truck weight @ 8380#

if you add up the nameplate axle and tire weight ratings it adds up to 12,600 pounds so why is the GVWR only at 11,500?

any help would be appreciated…..
thanks

Dean
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Sailor Dave
post Feb 17 2014, 10:30 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 6,005
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Arctic Fox
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: F350, Extended cab, 8 foot bed,DRW, 4X4, 6.2L, camper package
Type of Tiedowns used: Torklift with Fastguns
Truck and Camper Setup: Arctic Fox 1150, wet bath, solar

Dean,

I would ask the dealer to load up the camper and take it to a CAT scale. Many times the dry weight posted on the camper will not include the weight of installed options. I did this with my dealer and he had no problem.

Your on the right track. Just find out what the REAL dry weight of the camper is.

Truck Camper Magazine allows 500 pounds for gear, which I think is a realistic figure.

Then there is water weight, if you plan on traveling with water in your tanks (something I never do).

Cant explain how the truck manufactures arrive at the GVWR number, but once the factory stamps it on the truck your stuck with it.
+Quote Post
aqualung
post Feb 17 2014, 12:06 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 3,725
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Adventurer 90FWS
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: Dodge 3500 Dually Quadcab 4x4 6.7L Cummins
Type of Tiedowns used: Torklift
Truck and Camper Setup: 2008 Adventurer 90FWS Torklift Tiedowns with SuperHitch and SuperTruss Firestone Air Bags Torklift Load Stabilizers Fastgun Turnbuckles

The GVWR of your truck is not limited by just the tire and axle ratings but is usually limited by something else like the brakes or perhaps the frame. Its hard to say for sure what the real limiting factor is, only Ford can answer that question (but I doubt that they would). My guess would be the brakes since I would expect the frame to be built to handle much more weight. Of course this is only a guess.

When you are considering the load on the truck, you don't want to exceed any of the ratings like rear axle and front axle ratings, GVWR and GCWR if you plan on towing a trailer too. Its really hard to determine how much of the weight of the camper will be on the rear axle versus the front since this is determined by where the center of gravity of the camper sits relative to the rear axle. The more forward of the rear axle the C.G. is the more the weight moves onto the front axle. The only way to be sure is to weight the entire rig at the scales.

Before you commit to a camper try to get the dealer to let you take it to the scales and measure it on your truck before you buy, full of water if possible. I found the dealers in my area just pointed to the brochure as well and really didn't know what would work or not.

If you know the size of the water tank then you can estimate its full weight using 8.5 lbs/USgal plus another 6gal for the hot water tank (@51lbs). So its not critical to have the camper full of water when weighing it. I'd only consider the weight of the fresh water tank since it empties as the others fill up.

Hope this helps.
+Quote Post
TrickyDogShow
post Feb 17 2014, 05:17 PM
Post #4

Thanks for the replies. I called the lance dealer today to inquire about cog numbers. The smallest camper he has is a 850 which has a dry wt of 2360. And according to him a wet weight of 2800 ( with propane and full tanks). The weight sounds good but the cog is 34" . My truck measures 54" from the back of the bed to my axle. Seems like the weight would be way to far forward. If I step up to the next bigger camper, then the cog is at 47" which is a better number for me but the extra weight of this camper would definitely put me over weight. So I feel like im stuck without a proper cog / weight camper.

Dean
+Quote Post
Sailor Dave
post Feb 17 2014, 05:26 PM
Post #5

Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: F350, Extended cab, 8 foot bed,DRW, 4X4, 6.2L, camper package

remember that the cog area on your truck extends some distance forward of the rear axle. How much may depend on the wheelbase, but I'm not sure.

I'm in Illinois at the moment but will be flying back to the camper, which is in southern Georgia, on Wednesday. I have the cog guide for my truck there and will check it for you. It should give you a better idea of how large your cog is. I have a 2012 F350 DRW, extended cab.
+Quote Post
Sailor Dave
post Feb 17 2014, 05:37 PM
Post #6

I did find out these measurements for a 2013 F350 DRW 6.2L crew cab;

Front 74.1 inches
Rear: 45 inches

These measurements are taken from the rear edge of the truck bed. Measure 45 inches and mark it. Then measure 74 inches and mark that. The COG of the camper should fall between the 2 marks you made.

As you can see, the COG area is actually about 19 inches wide.

Your Ford truck dealer should be able to get the measurements for your truck.
+Quote Post
TrickyDogShow
post Feb 18 2014, 02:10 PM
Post #7

Ok... I thought I only had about 6" to work with. Your measurements look like there is approx 30" gap that my cog could fall in. If thats the case then the 34" cog of the lance camper would work. Ill try and dig around fir my exact measurements. Ps I received a load sheet that came with my new truck. It showed a diagram of the cog spot but didnt list any dimensions. Instead it said "your truck is not recommended to carry a slide in camper" but of course im going to ignore that....
Dean
+Quote Post
juttt45
post Apr 1 2015, 07:58 AM
Post #8

Member No.: 8,065
Favorite Truck Camper(s): aaaa
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: Dually 4x4 Ford Crew Cab
Type of Tiedowns used: Torklift
Truck and Camper Setup: Air Bags

My truck measures 54" from the back of the bed to my axle. Seems like the weight would be way to far forward. If I step up to the next bigger camper, then the cog is at 47" which is a better number for me but the extra weight of this camper would definitely put me over weight. So I feel like im stuck without a proper cog / weight camper.????

--------------------
GuL
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicTopic OptionsStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 03:03 PM