TillamookB2
post Sep 12 2011, 01:10 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,613
Favorite Truck Camper(s): None
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: 1985 Ford F250 Diesel
Type of Tiedowns used: None
Truck and Camper Setup: I have the truck and I almost have a camper.

The guy I'm getting a camper from has no tie downs to go with it because he never used any. I have a basic understanding of physics, so I'll be getting tie downs. I'm absolutely new to the whole portable house thing.
I want to know about those anchors that go in the stake pockets in the top of the bed. Some people guarantee on their mother's life that those ones will rip your bed apart and your camper will fall out. Some people will say they're good for all trucks and all campers. I don't care to hear from either of them.
Obviously, securing an enormous yacht of a camper to a pickup via bedrails is not a good idea at all, as all the force is put on your bed mounts. The camper that I hope to be getting from a friend's dad is only as long as the truck bed and looks to be from the early 80s and has no restroom. Just a small counter with stove, small table/bed, and the bed above the cab. There is no restroom. The pickup is a 1985 F250 long bed. It is a diesel, but not a dually.
Whenever I'm towing or hauling, I drive like grandma. Slow acceleration, slow braking, gentle turning. I baby this truck. Like I'm driving on ice.
I do know that newer model trucks tend to have thinner metal to save weight. I have heard that campers have become significantly heavier the last few years. Do you suppose my truck has a sturdy enough bed and a light enough camper that I can get away with using the pocket stakes for my once or twice a year use?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicTopic OptionsStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th April 2024 - 04:49 AM