gdcoyle
post Oct 21 2008, 10:18 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,987
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Host
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: n/a
Type of Tiedowns used: n/a
Truck and Camper Setup: None at this point. Looking to downsize from class A and would need a truck and camper. Like the dodge 3500 dually with a host yukon with tent.

Hello,

Just registered and want to use the forum to research Truck and Camper Combos. Currently have a 04 Damon Intruder Class A and looking to downsize. We have been researching and seem to have found a truck camper we like. Host has the Yukon and the Everest. Both have a tent option out back (vs. triple slide on Everest). Leaning to Yukon due to weight but, also like the double slide Everest due to the position of cabover bed.

Anyway, looking to see if anyone has one of these 08/09 models with the tent option and what are pro's/con's. What is the "actual" weight optioned out. The Everest is a couple pounds heavier but not sure the actual when you remove the back slide for the tent option.

Finally, as to trucks, looking at the Dodge 08/09 3500 dually. Seems they are most likely to deal and, cummins, exhaust brake etc.... Have been a ford fan but read alot of negatives about fuel mileage. Chevy nice interior etc... so they would be option 2.

Let me know if you have this combo or, maybe the Lance 1130 with tent option for comparison.

thanks Gary
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
martyphelps
post Feb 25 2009, 12:11 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 2,939
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: 2008 Ford F-350 Crew Cab lariat 4x4 Diesel
Type of Tiedowns used: Torklift with Fastguns
Truck and Camper Setup: 08 F-350 SRW shortbed Crew Cab 4x4 Diesel, super hitch, Host chinook, rancho 9000, air ride, torklift with fastguns., bfg all-terrain 20" 275's

We have the Host McKinley (Short Bed version of the everest/Yukon) with the Tent option. Like you, we down sized from a Safari Trek Class A. The kids are off to college and the maintainance, and insurance of a Motorhome seemed like expenses we could do with out at this stage of our lives.

After six months of heavy usage, we are still getting over the size and storage loss. Downsizing in RV meant downsizing in everything from BBQ size to cookware. Aside from that, the benefits are huge. We have an 08 Ford Superduty crew cab 4x4 deisel F-350 SRW. It handles the camper beautifully and gets awesome mileage compared to the Motorhome.

With the Truck Camper set up, we are now able to access much more remote places that we wouldn't have attempted with the Motorhome. High Sierra Lakes accessed via Fireroads or, Lost Coast Usal Road, and Baja - Scorpion bay are all accessable with this set up!

I looked at the Lance 830 with the Tent Option and picked the Host due to a better layout, slideout, much larger water and waste capacities. Other than that, I think the Lance has a better Tent unit hands down. Our Host Tent is a bit of a challenge to stow with one person. I think the Lance camper had a bit better fit and finish, however the Host overall optioned out much better.

One aspect of the Tent that we didn't think about when we purchased the camper is how useful it is even when the kids aren't traveling with us. We use the Tent room as extra storage while we are camping keeping our cloths, extra bedding and linens neatly stored out of the way. Compared to many of our friend Truck Campers, ours stays clutter free while camping!

Another nice aspect of the Host Tent setup is the way the door entry heater vent is aimed towards the tent room. This really works well at keeping the tent room warm in cold weather.
+Quote Post
gdcoyle
post Feb 25 2009, 12:14 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 2,987
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: n/a
Type of Tiedowns used: n/a
Truck and Camper Setup: None at this point. Looking to downsize from class A and would need a truck and camper. Like the dodge 3500 dually with a host yukon with tent.

QUOTE(gdcoyle @ Feb 25 2009, 11:11 AM)

Marty,

Thanks for answering my inquiry. Not sure if we are ready for the full downsize but it is attractive for the ability to get into tighter locations.

One issue I do struggle with is the cost of the Truck Campers. We hit one show here in Denver and I have looked around a little as well and the larger host and lance Dually tents are show deals in the Mid to upper $35,000 - $40,000 and that was a show price.

With that and a $45,000 to $50,000 truck my motor home is less money.

Anyway, keeping it in mind and again thanks for the reply
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicTopic OptionsStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th April 2024 - 01:22 AM