post Aug 22 2009, 01:49 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,285
Favorite Truck Camper(s): outfiter
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: Ram2500
Type of Tiedowns used: custom
Truck and Camper Setup: Lance108 Air Bags superhitch

Ok so this is the deal. I own a old Lance 10.8 with all the goodies including a Ownan generator. I also own an old F350 that gets 6-9 mpg. I like to go off road and I also want to improve my mileage so what I did is buy a Dodge diesel that gets 20 mpg. It is a short bed so I am limited in the weight department, and because I want to go off road, I would like to buy a pop-up camper. I also am spoiled in that I have a camper now that has a built in generator and that is what I hope to find, except in a pop-up. I did not think that would be that difficult but it seems like there is a conspiracy out there against pop-up's with generators or even generator ready. I know that there are plenty of options with portable generators but thats not what I want to do unless I have to. The only one I ave found so far is the Outfitter Apex 8 but they are more than I want to spend new, and there dose not seem to be many in the used market. So my question is (what other short bed pop-up campers do I have to chose from)? Just in case I do not have much success with that question, I will also take input on other creative solutions for my problem?
PS air conditioning is a must for what I do with my camper.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Spanky
post Aug 22 2009, 06:25 PM
Post #2

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 144
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Lance 1030
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: 1999 F350 Power Stroke Dually SuperCab
Type of Tiedowns used: Torklift
Truck and Camper Setup: 1999 Ford F350 4x4 Super Cab 1 ton Dually Lance 1030 Torklift tiedowns

I personally have never heard of a popup that comes with a gen. Thats not to say there aren't any. I have a Honda eu3000 that I carry on a mount that I made for the front of my truck when I tow my Jeep. And when I don't take my Jeep, which is very seldom, I have a rack that fits into my trailer hitch. You can get these most anywhere including Wal Mart. There are a lot of campers out there that will fit your truck. I would have maybe stuck with an 8ft bed that gets 20 mpg. JMO. Not trying to be funny here but when I go camping and have everything I want or need to have fun, gas milege is the last thing on my mind. I always make sure I am full before I go "off road" and I carry a 5 gallon can extra.
Gary

--------------------
1999 F350 Power Stroke Dually Super Cab, 2003 Lance 1030
+Quote Post
land yacht
post Aug 23 2009, 04:29 PM
Post #3

Thanks for the suggestion, I have thought of a front mounted generator. Like you I also tow a jeep behind me: among other things. As for- the long bed I have owned three, and still own one. I just wanted something a bit smaller, to drive around town park etc. Being a jeep owner you must also know the advantage of having a shorter wheelbase. My short bed Quad cab is noticeably easier, off road than my long bed crew cab. As far as gas millage; I frequently make trips from Missouri to Wyoming Montana and Nevada and at 18-20 mpg â????w/o a camper normallyâ???? it can still push a grand by the time I get home.
+Quote Post
mh45472
post Aug 24 2009, 08:14 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 2,941
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Elkhorn 8R
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: GMC Sierra 2500 HD SRW 4 x 4 Ext. Cab Short box
Type of Tiedowns used: Happijac
Truck and Camper Setup: GMC 2500 HD, Air bags, Happijacs, custom hitch box extension, Fleetwood Elkhorn 8R, pretty much loaded

Did you look at Northstar? I thought they had a gen. option. Front mounting works well too. I installed a front receiver & usually stick a bike rack in it but have used a hitch hauler for tree stands when hunting.
+Quote Post
land yacht
post Aug 24 2009, 11:00 AM
Post #5

QUOTE(mh45472 @ Aug 24 2009, 08:14 AM)
Did you look at Northstar? I thought they had a gen. option.  Front mounting works well too. I installed a front receiver & usually stick a bike rack in it but have used a hitch hauler for tree stands when hunting.

I have looked at the northstar brand, and did not see that; I will look again, maybee I was looking at the wrong model?
+Quote Post
land yacht
post Aug 24 2009, 08:09 PM
Post #6

It looks like the largest pop-up has a compartment to store a portable, but is not generator ready. So I would say for me this will not work unless; there is an older version that is generator ready. sad.gif
+Quote Post
Spanky
post Aug 25 2009, 01:12 AM
Post #7

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 144
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Lance 1030
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: 1999 F350 Power Stroke Dually SuperCab
Type of Tiedowns used: Torklift
Truck and Camper Setup: 1999 Ford F350 4x4 Super Cab 1 ton Dually Lance 1030 Torklift tiedowns

What do you mean when you say "generator ready"? I have a gen and all I do is plug my shoreline power cord into it.
Gary

--------------------
1999 F350 Power Stroke Dually Super Cab, 2003 Lance 1030
+Quote Post
land yacht
post Aug 25 2009, 09:30 AM
Post #8

Not that I am a mechanic or a designer etc. but generator ready means that the compartment is ventilated and Legal + fire resistant. Since the location of the compartment will not be in the same place as the battery internal wires bring power to the battery and camper from the generator compartment. My lance had a compartment that was designed to run a generator in â????as opposed to carryâ???? a generator but it still cost me 1500 bucks to wire the unit and run my Ownan.
+Quote Post
coyoterv4u@yahoo.com
post Oct 17 2009, 10:56 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 3,459
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Phoenix
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: chevy 1500 silverado
Type of Tiedowns used: phoenix
Truck and Camper Setup: chevy silverado 97 with custom phoenix pop up 8.5'

You can have anything you want put into a Phoenix Custom Camper, by Coyote RV. It can be shipped to you, or you can pick it up at the factory in denver. Fully self contained, no problem. Generator, or generator ready, no problem. Very busy because of the good quality and reasonable prices, so get yours started now if you want it ready for next summer's camping season!
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicTopic OptionsStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 11:32 AM