post Mar 20 2017, 12:53 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,473
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Not sure yet
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: None
Type of Tiedowns used: None
Truck and Camper Setup: Nothing yet

Hello, I just joined as my wife and I are in the market for a truck camper, it will be our first, but not new to RV's. We are leaning towards the Eagle Cap 1165. Looking forward to learning more about TC's from this group.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Freespool
post Mar 20 2017, 05:51 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 8,975
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Still deciding
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: 2016 GMC3500dualyy4x4diesel
Type of Tiedowns used: Torklift with Fastguns
Truck and Camper Setup: The plan will utilize a 3500 GMC with a 11 or 12' TC with a full compliment of Torklift hitch components and tie downs. Stable loads if needed will be installed.

Take a look at the forum on the NATCOA web site. They provide a separate area for both Lance and Eagle Cap owners.
+Quote Post
Spanky
post Mar 20 2017, 08:00 PM
Post #3

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 144
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Lance 1030
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: 1999 F350 Power Stroke Dually SuperCab
Type of Tiedowns used: Torklift
Truck and Camper Setup: 1999 Ford F350 4x4 Super Cab 1 ton Dually Lance 1030 Torklift tiedowns

Welcome to our little forum. Glad to have you.

--------------------
1999 F350 Power Stroke Dually Super Cab, 2003 Lance 1030
+Quote Post
Hermes1
post Mar 21 2017, 10:03 AM
Post #4

Thank you for the welcome Freespool & Spanky. I will check the NATCOA site out
+Quote Post
Freespool
post Mar 21 2017, 05:49 PM
Post #5

Truck and Camper Setup: The plan will utilize a 3500 GMC with a 11 or 12' TC with a full compliment of Torklift hitch components and tie downs. Stable loads if needed will be installed.

Tell us a little about where you like to go and with whom. Everybody here loves trucks, more information on yours is needed to start.

Sounds like you are willing to go real big on the camper. The 1165 is my personnel favorite, however the weight and the slide mechanics will force me to shop else where. The truck you listed may or may not be up to the task.

The learning curve for owning a truck camper is fairly simple, however there is a lot of basic information you need to understand in order to be safe. Spending time on this site will start the learning curve. Too your credit, your starting with a capable truck and asking about the best tie down equipment, that's a good start.

My advise, from this point forward, go slow. Truck campers are very different than towing trailers. This especially applies to those of you who want or need the biggest units. There is almost no fifth wheel or pull trailer you can't handle with your truck. However hauling weight is a very different story.
+Quote Post
Hermes1
post Mar 22 2017, 10:03 AM
Post #6

QUOTE(Freespool @ Mar 21 2017, 03:49 PM)
Tell us a little about where you like to go and with whom.  Everybody here loves trucks, more information on yours is needed to start.

Sounds like you are willing to go real big on the camper.  The 1165 is my personnel favorite, however the weight and the slide mechanics will force me to shop else where.  The truck you listed may or may not be up to the task. 

The learning curve for owning a truck camper is fairly simple, however there is a lot of basic information you need to  understand in order to be safe.  Spending time on this site will start the learning curve.  Too your credit, your starting with a capable truck and asking about the best tie down equipment, that's a good start.

My advise, from this point forward, go slow.  Truck campers are very different than towing trailers.  This especially applies to those of you who want or need the biggest units.  There is almost no fifth wheel or pull trailer you can't handle with your truck.  However hauling weight is a very different story.

Thank you for your helpful advice and information, I appreciate it. My truck is a 2015 Ram 3500 TD Dually CC with the AISIN tranny & 3:73 gearing & factory airbags. The GVWR of the 1165 falls within the payload capacity of my truck, factoring in my wife and two big Akitas. I just ordered the Torklift steel tie downs. I plan on getting the Fast Guns closer to purchase of the TC, but wanted to get the others sooner to install. I am also considering the Torklift stabile load set-up so any input on whether it is worthwhile or not is appreciated.
We plan to travel extensively, mostly in the southwest, west coast & NW, but plan some travel to the east coast. Again many thanks for the valuable input you have provided.
+Quote Post
Freespool
post Mar 22 2017, 05:50 PM
Post #7

Sounds like a great plan, by the way, do Akita's come any other way? I would urge you to read up on at least two other travel web sites. Truck Camper Adventure and Truck Camper Magazine both have extensive articles on destinations that are worth visiting.

Previously, I mentioned my admiration for the 1165. My intent was to enlighten you on the reported troubles some have regarding the slides. Do yourself a favor and at least compare the Host Mammoth or Everest model to the Eagle Cap. The slide assemblies are vastly different. Both are triple slides and are similar in cost.

There has been no mention of towing. Either camper will require an extension from the receiver. 42 or 48 will work with the Host or the EC.

Have fun building and enjoying your new RV.
+Quote Post
Hermes1
post Mar 24 2017, 09:50 AM
Post #8

QUOTE(Freespool @ Mar 22 2017, 03:50 PM)
Sounds like a great plan, by the way, do Akita's come any other way?  I would urge you to read up on at least two other travel web sites.  Truck Camper Adventure and Truck Camper Magazine both have extensive articles on destinations that are worth visiting. 

Previously, I mentioned my admiration for the 1165.  My intent was to enlighten you on the reported troubles some have regarding the slides.  Do yourself a favor and at least compare the Host Mammoth or Everest model to the Eagle Cap.  The slide assemblies are vastly different.  Both are triple slides and are similar in cost.

There has been no mention of towing.  Either camper will require an extension from the receiver.  42 or 48 will work with the Host or the EC.

Have fun building and enjoying your new RV.

We looked at the Host but my wife was not as enamored with it, much preferred the Eagle Cap, but not written in stone so we will see.

LOL on Akitas. Actually yes and no, there are American Akitas which we have and are generally large dogs and there are Japanese Akitas, although they are considered large dogs, tend to be considerably smaller than the American.

As far as towing, we might consider a small cargo trailer but that is a decision for down the road sometime after purchasing the TC. Otherwise we have nothing of interest to tow.

I am a subscriber to Truck Camper Magazine but I did not know about Truck Camper Adventure which I will check out.

Thanks again for all your input.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicTopic OptionsStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th April 2024 - 04:50 PM