UKYCAMPER
post Feb 17 2016, 08:43 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,721
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Cirrus 800
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: 2015 GMC 3500 SLT CC SRW Duramax
Type of Tiedowns used: Torklift with Fastguns
Truck and Camper Setup: 2015 GMC 3500 SLT CC SRW Duramax, Torklift with Fastguns, 2016 Cirrus 800 TC, 2015 Jayco 27DSRL TT

I am new to truck camping so I'm not sure about some of the tools I will need for camping. I am assuming I will have to raise some of the truck wheels to level the camper at the campsite rather than unfasten the truck camper and raise with the jacks? I have the Anderson 3604 camper levelers that I use on my travel trailer so I was wondering if they would work on my truck tires for leveling also. I am concerned they are not wide enough and may damage the truck tires. They are 6" wide and my truck tire tread measures 8.5" wide. Seems like a lot of pressure in the center of the truck tire tread area and may strain the sidewalls as I suspect they would bulge out. However, their advertisement showed them being used on a Class C? sad.gif Anyone use these levelers on their truck?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Nobody
post Feb 21 2016, 09:05 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 6,339
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Palomino
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: '99 Ford F-250 SuperCab long bed, 7.3L Power Stroke
Type of Tiedowns used: Blackstone Mfg Co Camper Clampers, looking for TorkLift
Truck and Camper Setup: 2003 SunLite 8.5 WTSB, modified roof lift to support roof air

Sorry you haven't had any response/advice UKYCAMPER.

My comments may not reflect current practice or equipment?? I've no experience with dual rear wheel trucks & don't know what folks with that rig use. On my old '85 Ford F-250, even with a large, heavy camper, I usually tried to select a relatively level site so any leveling I had to do was usually a couple of inches at most. I carried (behind the truck wheel wells) several 2x8 & 2x10 boards, approx 16-18" in length, beveled at one end. My campers always had a couple of stick-on/screw-on levels on the corner just behind the driver (set in place after carefully leveling the camper). I learned from experience (over many years) to look at the levels & was able to estimate pretty accurately, how many blocks I'd need to drive which tire onto achieve operational level. That always worked for me over many years so I never tried any other system.

In August 2014 we spent several days at Firehole NF C/G in the Flaming Gorge RA in SW Wyoming. It is a beautiful campground but some of the sites are 'tilted/sloped' precipitously toward the shelter/picnic table. We watched a couple come in with a large truck camper, with slide-out best I remember, dual wheel Dodge truck, & proceed to level the rig using the camper jacks (dunno if they were hydraulic, electric, mechanical, or what) but they ended up raising the rear of that truck/camper at least a foot using some large flat rocks for jack bases. They had a couple of very large Husky/Malemute type dogs traveling in the truck/camper with them. That's the first time I ever saw someone using the camper jacks for leveling (on the truck). They used what appeared to be a ladder to gain access to the camper from the ground.
+Quote Post
hedge
post Feb 21 2016, 11:00 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 6,191
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Adventurer
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: Ford F350
Type of Tiedowns used: TorkLift
Truck and Camper Setup: '12 F350, '13 Adventurer 89RB

I'm in the same boat. I also bought a set of the Andersen levellers (I actually have the jack version for more height) but I also have second thoughts about using them on my wider truck tires.

I'm currently using the tri-levellers which i believe are 8" across.
+Quote Post
17 Oaks
post Mar 1 2016, 12:07 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 8,291
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Arctic Fox 1150
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: '15 F 350 Dually 4x4 CC/LB King Ranch
Type of Tiedowns used: Torklift
Truck and Camper Setup: '15 F350, Rancho 9000XLS, StableLoads, Hellwig Big sway bar

Of the 3 common methods of leveling your truck camper the Anderson would be my last resort.

If you have electric lifts such as Rico Titian you can adjust the level of your camper like that, which is what I do. I do try to pull into a spot that is level and then check my level gages if its very close I just level it out from there and rarely have I had to do anything else.

The other choice would be air bags and I have used them, but prefer the leg method for stability.
+Quote Post
UKYCAMPER
post Mar 5 2016, 09:16 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 8,721
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Cirrus 800
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: 2015 GMC 3500 SLT CC SRW Duramax
Type of Tiedowns used: Torklift with Fastguns
Truck and Camper Setup: 2015 GMC 3500 SLT CC SRW Duramax, Torklift with Fastguns, 2016 Cirrus 800 TC, 2015 Jayco 27DSRL TT

I pick up my camper Monday (Little Guy Cirrus 800). I'm going to have to ask the dealer about raising my truck with the camper jacks. Seems like a lot of stress on the jacks as well as the camper frame??

QUOTE(Nobody @ Feb 21 2016, 09:05 PM)
Sorry you haven't had any response/advice UKYCAMPER.

My comments may not reflect current practice or equipment?? I've no experience with dual rear wheel trucks & don't know what folks with that rig use. On my old '85 Ford F-250, even with a large, heavy camper, I usually tried to select a relatively level site so any leveling I had to do was usually a couple of inches at most. I carried (behind the truck wheel wells) several 2x8 & 2x10 boards, approx 16-18" in length, beveled at one end. My campers always had a couple of stick-on/screw-on levels on the corner just behind the driver (set in place after carefully leveling the camper). I learned from experience (over many years) to look at the levels & was able to estimate pretty accurately, how many blocks I'd need to drive which tire onto achieve operational level. That always worked for me over many years so I never tried any other system.

In August 2014 we spent several days at Firehole NF C/G in the Flaming Gorge RA in SW Wyoming. It is a beautiful campground but some of the sites are 'tilted/sloped' precipitously toward the shelter/picnic table. We watched a couple come in with a large truck camper, with slide-out best I remember, dual wheel Dodge truck, & proceed to level the rig using the camper jacks (dunno if they were hydraulic, electric, mechanical, or what) but they ended up raising the rear of that truck/camper at least a foot using some large flat rocks for jack bases. They had a couple of very large Husky/Malemute type dogs traveling in the truck/camper with them. That's the first time I ever saw someone using the camper jacks for leveling (on the truck). They used what appeared to be a ladder to gain access to the camper from the ground.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicTopic OptionsStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th April 2024 - 12:23 AM