> Small Truck Suspension, Make my load more stable

rangercamper
post Apr 10 2010, 04:43 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,069
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Six Pac
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: Ford Ranger Long Box
Type of Tiedowns used: Happijac Rear, Custom Frame mount front, custom turnbuckles
Truck and Camper Setup: Ford Ranger 4x4 w/ 2" lift, 31" mud terrians, lots of extras under the hood, timbren-m-41.html">Timbrens, Helwig sway bar, and add a leaf in the rear. 1987 Vanguard Frontier camper, light weight, keeps the beer cold.

Hi there, I have a Ford Ranger with a GVWR of 4980. Last time I had it was on scales it was about 100lbs over loaded with my wife, dog, and gear (we started packing a little lighter!). Recently we drove through some extreme weather with wind gusts up to 50mph and the truck was rocking pretty good. Any recommendations to make the truck more stable (is a new sway bar really worth the $$)? I already have extra leaf springs and airbags. We're looking at getting a 3/4 ton next year, but we need something to get through this season. Thanks.

--------------------
+Quote Post
jimd1050
post Apr 23 2010, 07:20 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 3,132
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Lance
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: F-250 4X4 Ford Extended Cab
Type of Tiedowns used: Happijac
Truck and Camper Setup: Still getting done - deposit on 2002 Lance 845, appointment to install Happijac system and wiring - beach sticker already onboard.

QUOTE(rangercamper @ Apr 10 2010, 05:43 PM)
Hi there, I have a Ford Ranger with a GVWR of 4980. Last time I had it was on scales it was about 100lbs over loaded with my wife, dog, and gear (we started packing a little lighter!). Recently we drove through some extreme weather with wind gusts up to 50mph and the truck was rocking pretty good. Any recommendations to make the truck more stable (is a new sway bar really worth the $$)? I already have extra leaf springs and airbags. We're looking at getting a 3/4 ton next year, but we need something to get through this season. Thanks.

I'm not sure if they make a rear sway bar for the Ranger series (I looked - Hellwig does) but if they do, it'll make a huge difference. I bought my Super Duty with a towing package and snow plow package but it did not have the Camper Package. I asked Ford what the difference was between the Towing Package and the Camper Package and the only difference was the Camper package had a rear sway bar and the others did not. I researched sway bars and bought a Hellwig Rear Sway Bar (http://www.hellwigproducts.com/catalog), installed it myself and have never looked back. I can throw this 4X4 truck with 35" mud tires into an off ramp at twice the ramp speed limit and it squats down like a big sports car and takes the ramp like you would not believe. With my 2500 lb Lance slide-in camper on board, it also handles excellent. If you can find one, do it - it'll solve your problem! Look here for more on my old Ranger (that I reluctantly traded in for the F250):

http://www.justtruckin.net/pages/mytruck2.html

Good Luck with your Ranger and the search for a 3/4 ton later down the road - just remember, "Bleed Blue - forever Ford!"

--------------------
Regards... Jim D

'08 F250XLT Super Duty 4X4 - 6.4L Powerstroke Diesel
Twin Turbo - SCT Tuned by Innovative Diesel
Suspension/Drivetrain by WC Motorsports

http://www.justtruckin.net/pages/mytruck.html
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
rangercamper
post Apr 24 2010, 09:57 AM
Post #3

Type of Tiedowns used: Happijac Rear, Custom Frame mount front, custom turnbuckles
Truck and Camper Setup: Ford Ranger 4x4 w/ 2" lift, 31" mud terrians, lots of extras under the hood, timbren-m-41.html">Timbrens, Helwig sway bar, and add a leaf in the rear. 1987 Vanguard Frontier camper, light weight, keeps the beer cold.

jimd1050;

Thanks for the info. I like the bumper you put on that ranger. I have a similar design, but no winch. I too have put a lot of money into my ranger. Everything from intake, throttle body, exhaust, lift, (SCT tuning from Bamachips, thanks Doug) etc. I ordered a Helwig sway bar earlier this week. I already noticed a huge difference from just overloads, to overloads + airbags. If I notice that much of a difference again I'll be set.

After reading around the forum, I think I going to buy a Ford 350 for the next rig. That'll give us the most options for our next camper.

--------------------
+Quote Post
rangercamper
post Apr 28 2010, 10:37 AM
Post #4

Well, just incase anyone out there is reading this, I thought that I would give my before and after review of using a Helwig sway bar on a Ford Ranger and a few installation tips.

Truck:
1997 Ford Ranger 7' box 4x4

Before:
I had Timbrens and extra leaf springs resulting in a ride quality near stock with the camper on. However, during cornering and/or windy conditions the camper would rock side-side making driving very uncomfortable! ohmy.gif So I researched some ways to improve the "swaying". Obviously the words "sway-bar" come to mind. I heard good reviews on the brand Helwig so I purchased a Helwig sway bar locally to minimize shipping times to Canada.

Installation:
Removal of the old sway bar is pretty straight forward. Jack the vehicle up, put the rear axle on jack stands, and remove the rear tires. The only problem that I encountered was removing the bolt on the drivers side frame rail. The gas tank was perfectly in the way. So I had to remove the gas tank skid plate put the gas tank on a couple jacks, and remove the two straps holding the gas tank to the truck. I was then able to roll the gas tank a couple inches towards the passenger side in order to get a socket inside the frame rail and remove the troublesome bolt.

The new sway bar installed below the axle (as opposed to above) which made it very easy to line up. I did have to remove the brake line clamps and slightly modify the bends in the line for the sway bar brackets to fit properly though. With the new sway bar in place, I losely installed the downcomers to the sway bar before torquing the sway bar to the axle. Everything was then tightened up ensuring I had adequate clearance from the axle and shocks.

After:
I drove out to my parents farm the other day and drove down highway/gravel to get there, in winds around 60km/h. Usually the truck would have been rocking in the wind, but instead I could just feel a force pushing the side of the truck (the truck stayed near level). When on twisty gravel roads, the truck felt comfortable to drive with very little rolling in the corners.

Final Result:
I picked the sway bar up for $220. This is easily worth the added safety feeling.
Also, keep in mind I have a camper that weighs <1100lbs, so results may vary.

Happy Camping!

also - I'll add some pic's to this post as soon as I get them online from my camera

--------------------
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicTopic OptionsStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th April 2024 - 04:46 AM