post Apr 16 2018, 09:44 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,785
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Northstar Adventurer 8.5
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: 2018 Chevolet 3500 Duramax Crew Duelly
Type of Tiedowns used: Torklift with Fastguns
Truck and Camper Setup: Totally stock, nothing needed

Hi all, I traded my 09 2500 for a 18 3500 that has a backup camera in the tailgate. Unfortunately the tailgate won’t be going on any of our truck camper adventures. Has anyone heard of a camera relocation kit? There is a spiffy plug and built in blank off for the plug when you remove the tailgate but I “think” I would like the camera when the camper is on the truck. Seems like a good way to watch the boat and such. Any ideas?

Thanks
Jay
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
wintertree
post Apr 17 2018, 04:07 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 9,949
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Lance
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: Snowbird 108DS
Type of Tiedowns used: torklift
Truck and Camper Setup: 2016 F-450..upgraded overload springs...Torklift tie downs...single slide Hard wall camper with dry bath...solar...inverter...genset..full thermal package...extra black and grey tankage...kayak and paddle board

QUOTE(Jknight611 @ Apr 16 2018, 08:44 PM)
Hi all, I traded my 09 2500 for a 18 3500 that has a backup camera in the tailgate.  Unfortunately the tailgate won’t be going on any of our truck camper adventures.  Has anyone heard of a camera relocation kit?  There is a spiffy plug and built in blank off for the plug when you remove the tailgate but I “think” I would like the camera when the camper is on the truck.  Seems like a good way to watch the boat and such.  Any ideas?

Thanks
Jay

What a great idea.....I have the same issue....Mine is built into the oversize Ford logo on the tailgate.....You got me thinking I will try and find this logo/ badge on Ebay or at a wreckers and mount it on the rear of the TC....I am not presently towing anything....but sure would be nice to keep an eye on things parking and such....Maybe that scenario for finding another camera would also work for you ?...Not sure where they are on GM....At the very least you may be able to find the camera "guts" and make up something...
+Quote Post
mbrink
post Apr 17 2018, 08:07 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 9,913
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Artic Fox
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: Ram 3500 CC, short bed, diesel
Type of Tiedowns used: Fast Gun
Truck and Camper Setup: 2018 Dodge, 2011 811 Artic Fox, Torklift tie downs and hitch

i sold my 2001 Ford for a 2018 Dodge 3500. It has a camera in the tailgate, that must be removed to install camper.

I got a direct plug in Camera from Brandmotion. Plugs into the stock factory plug in the back of the bed, and has extension to allow mounting on the camper. Mine mounts above the license plate. Only complaint is the cable that it came with is way too long, I had to zip tie all the slack. Also, the camper is mounted to the side of the camper, vs center, so takes some getting used to.

Very happy with it. Nice to be able to use the in dash display. Put in reverse adn camera comes on. I recall cost was about $200
+Quote Post
Jknight611
post Apr 21 2018, 09:48 AM
Post #4

Thanks! I just ordered mine from Bramdmotion. It will mount on the 2 license plate screws. Such a PIA to remove the tailgate when you have to root around under the truck to disconnect the camera. My original goal was to have my camper where we can (and do) load and go in 10 minutes.
+Quote Post
Jknight611
post Apr 27 2018, 07:56 PM
Post #5

As a follow up, I bought/received the Brand motion camera, totally unacceptable! From the license plate to the factory plug it is approximately 14-18 inches. The Brandmotion camera system had 20 feet of wire with several totally amateurish splices . I called their tech support number and was told to simply tie wrap the additional wire under the truck. Unacceptable, when you invest in a $70,000 truck and expect many years of service, a jury rig like this, not on my truck! Very disappointed, sent their camera system back to them.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicTopic OptionsStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 03:32 PM