IPB
Truck Camper Parts

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

[ Outline ] · Standard · Linear+

> Suggestions for a light hard side camper?

jensenbreck
post Nov 13 2017, 02:03 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,865
Favorite Truck Camper(s): no
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: C7
Type of Tiedowns used: No
Truck and Camper Setup: Happijac

A former TC camper owner here, back for another round. Bottom line, when we became a family of five, our 10.5 foot Alpenlite/Western RV camper became impractical. Doable, but it was tough on the middle child who was too claustrophobic to handle the over-dinette bunk, and chose the floor with a foam mattress instead. Hazardous duty, when dad came down from the cabover to use the aft toilet in the night! We switched to a 30 foot bunkhouse fifth wheel, which is really luxurious in comparison. It's night and day easier to set-up and break camp (we always unloaded the camper if in a location for more than one night, in order to have transportation without packing camp), hauls much nicer than our high-profile, two ton slide-in and is vastly more comfortable with the the whole family aboard (we can even bring friends along), and cooking is much more pleasurable. Well, I digress; not really trying to make thread on why a towable has been better than a TC for us. With one kid in college now, I realize some trips could work well in a TC with the four of us. More importantly, my desire to access back-country camping opportunities still exists. Once we had the Alpenlite dialed-in with air bags, a Torklift tie down system and other niceties, reality set in that it was too heavy and sway-prone to comfortably take it on many of the unimproved roads/trails we had hoped to. Clearly, any TC in our future needs to be much better suited for back country access. I have already debated the pop- vs. hard-side quandary, and hard-side wins. Even a hard side pop up like an Alaskan would be questionable, but worthy consideration. Light weight is the main criteria, along with mandatory bathroom, even if it's just a port-a-potty. So likely a 9 footer based on what I can see (I'm not worried about one foot of overhang, even two).

For more details : explainer video
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicTopic OptionsStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th April 2024 - 07:19 AM