IPB
Truck Camper Parts

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

[ Outline ] · Standard · Linear+

> Truck Camper Weights, Anyone honor their weight ratings?

RV_Tech
post Feb 23 2017, 06:24 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,199
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Hallmark, Northstar, Outfitter
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: F-350 SRW 6.2 Supercab
Type of Tiedowns used: Happijack front, Torklift rear
Truck and Camper Setup: Hallmark Ute XL No modes to truck Torklift Fast Guns Fast guns had to be cut down to absolute minimum (14 1/2") to use with Happijac front tie down and Hallmark camper.

I have been researching the topic of truck camper weights versus payload ratings and have come to a simple conclusion. In my research it appears that the overwhelming majority of folks with truck campers are loaded way beyond the manufacturers weight ratings for their truck.

It also appears to me that truck camper manufacturers are disingenuous when they advise buyers to stay within the payload ratings for their truck, at least when it comes to hard shell campers. For example, my Ford F350 6.2 single rear wheel (camper package& plow package) has about 3,200 pounds left for a camper after fuel and my wife and I are onboard.

If I figure on 1,000 pounds for everything not included in the manufacturer's dry weight ratings, that means a hard shell of 2,200 pounds. So that means either going with a dually (which I really don't care for) or going with a pop-up (not out of the question, but I would rather not).

It just makes for an interesting situation!

Steve
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll
Replies
SidecarFlip
post Mar 1 2017, 09:46 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 9,221
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Forest River Palomino SS
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: 1997 Ford F350 4x4 LB SRW CC 7.3 diesel
Type of Tiedowns used: HappyJac standard
Truck and Camper Setup: 1997 Ford F350 4 door 4x4 Crew Cab 7.3 Diesel, Lance 915 loaded, 2015 Palomino SS1500 Loaded

No, the real answer is component life in an overloaded condition, mainly bearings and driveline components and to a lesser degree bushings and shocks and braking systems. Continual overloading of components results in a shorter lifespan and possibly a dangerous handing situation in an emergency scenario.

IOW, you can haul a double slide TC down the road in the bed of an F150 with a tiny eco-boost V6 but, one. can you stop it in an emergency situation and two, how long will the truck components last before they fail?

It's all about common sense, something that people today seem to have little of.
+Quote Post
RV_Tech
post Mar 2 2017, 08:24 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 6,199
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Hallmark, Northstar, Outfitter
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: F-350 SRW 6.2 Supercab
Type of Tiedowns used: Happijack front, Torklift rear
Truck and Camper Setup: Hallmark Ute XL No modes to truck Torklift Fast Guns Fast guns had to be cut down to absolute minimum (14 1/2") to use with Happijac front tie down and Hallmark camper.

QUOTE(SidecarFlip @ Mar 1 2017, 10:46 PM)
No, the real answer is component life in an overloaded condition, mainly bearings and driveline components and to a lesser degree bushings and shocks and braking systems.  Continual overloading of components results in a shorter lifespan and possibly a dangerous handing situation in an emergency scenario.

IOW, you can haul a double slide TC down the road in the bed of an F150 with a tiny eco-boost V6 but, one. can you stop it in an emergency situation and two, how long will the truck components last before they fail?

It's all about common sense, something that people today seem to have little of.

Yes, but for example, is component life more affected by, for example, mountain driving where engine RPM is higher. How much are components affected by more weight? No real answer right?

Then there is the handling issue. Yes, I agree handling is impacted by both weight and height above the box, but how much? And given it is probably somewhat with every truck camper, can the negative impact be negated by suspension modifications or driving more slowly?

And if you read the manufacturers' websites and see their recommendations for campers suitable for half-ton trucks, can you blame folks for being confused?

Common sense is hard to come by for sure, but isn't that partly because we all see it differently? Is there anyone in this forum who is purposely doing something they believe to be unsafe or destructive to their equipment? Usually I have found that thinking someone lacks common sense means they are doing or thinking something in a way different from our own. Just saying smile.gif

Steve
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicTopic OptionsStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 14th May 2024 - 03:18 PM