IPB
Truck Camper Parts

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

[ Outline ] · Standard · Linear+

> Truck Camper Payload versus Max Payload, Maximum Weight of Camper is less tahn Ma

taberski
post Jan 24 2015, 01:41 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,523
Favorite Truck Camper(s): TBD
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: 2014 RAM 3500 Laramie 4x4 Crew Cab Dually Diesel
Type of Tiedowns used: N/A
Truck and Camper Setup: Considering an Arctic Fox 990

Last summer, I purchased a 2014 RAM 3500 Laramie DRW, 4x4 Crew-cab with the Cummins diesel and the stock automatic transmission.

According to the RAM Brochure (2014 RAM Pickups), my truck has a maximum payload of 5,830#.

But according to the 2014 RAM Builder's Guide (under 2014 Camper Guide), the maximum weight of a camper I can place on my truck is 4,631# - an approximate 1,200# reduction!

Can anybody explain the discrepancy in these two numbers? I suspect that part of this is based on the estimated weight of passengers (5 seating locations in my case - Ford uses 150# per position) which would account for 750#, but that still does not explain the additional ~450#.

We are considering the purchase of an Arctic Fox 990, but I'm discovering that the estimated wet weight (4,375# - not including any of our "stuff"), may not leave as much margin as one would expect.

I know plenty of people successfully haul these campers (and larger). I'm just trying to understand how it is that I could potentially exceed the limits of my truck with this camper.

Thank you,

Kevin Taberski
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll
Replies
taberski
post Feb 16 2015, 04:16 PM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,523
Favorite Truck Camper(s): TBD
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: 2014 RAM 3500 Laramie 4x4 Crew Cab Dually Diesel
Type of Tiedowns used: N/A
Truck and Camper Setup: Considering an Arctic Fox 990

We ordered an Arctic Fox 990 last week. I believe I now have a fairly good idea of the estimated weight (a lot!). The base weight does not include any of the options - including the mandatory Fox Value Pack. The weight stated on the back of the model camper included this base weight plus the weight of water and propane (3426#).

Total weight of our camper (estimated) will be around 4,500# - give or take.

I weighed my truck on a CAT scale last week - just the truck, full tank of fuel, no tail gate, tie downs, rubber mat or suspension upgrades (i.e. just the stock truck less the tailgate) and it weighs 8,460# (5,060# front, 3,400# rear). My truck has a stated GVWR of 14,000# so I will have approximately 1,000# of margin prior to adding any of our stuff - including my wife and I. So in the end, we will be fairly close to the GVWR of my truck. I was hoping I'd have more margin - so it goes.

I plan to weigh again when I receive my camper (i.e. with propane, batteries, tie-downs and mat, but without water). I may then go back and weigh with just the water added. Finally, I will weigh loaded up and ready to go. Once I get that done, I'll post a fresh thread as there seems to be quite a bit of interest in this topic.

With regard to the manufacturer truck camper payloads, I'm not sure I will ever understand how the manufactures arrive at their ratings.

Kevin
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicTopic OptionsStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th April 2024 - 01:35 PM